Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Under The Knife

Borked my knee last summer, and had been living with the pain, chalking it up to age. Finally had enough and pushed for a MRI after x-ray was unremarkable. 

Had the torn meniscus repaired today - surgeon said things went well. Out for 2 - 3 weeks depending on how things progress.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have a tear in my right meniscus, I can do well for the most part so no repair yet. I tore it about 8 years ago. Gotta watch it on stairs 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Wishing you a speedy recovery 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Just found out Wednesday I have a torn Meniscus in my right knee. Trying to get the surgery scheduled before the end of January.

I've had two such surgeries in my left knee.

Also found out (as I suspected) the my left knee is bone on bone.

I'll be having a partial knee replacement in the nearish future.

Super cool reward from my half marathon days!

Good luck with the recovery and PT.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Wish I would have known that you were in need of surgery.  We could of taken care of that in the comfort of your home while cooking in your outdoor kitchen in progress.  Torn meniscus’s happen to be my specialty.  Get well soon Bubblehead.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited January 2020
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Wish I would have known that you were in need of surgery.  We could of taken care of that in the comfort of your home while cooking in your outdoor kitchen in progress.  Torn meniscus’s happen to be my specialty.  Get well soon Bubblehead.
    Are you an ortho surgeon, or the backyard type? I have quite the stock of bourbon for medicinal purposes of course. Submarines once. . .  .
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited January 2020
    I watched a video and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  
    Submarines twice...
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CTMike
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I watched a video and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  
    Submarines twice...
    Bourbon and a trusty Barlow knife it is then.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Got my meniscus and ACL fixed in April 3 years ago. Summited Grays Peak in August, same year.

Good luck Mike...get back on it.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    edited January 2020
    YukonRon said:
    Got my meniscus and ACL fixed in April 3 years ago. Summited Grays Peak in August, same year.

Thanks Ron, the Peloton is calling my name - surgeon said I can get back on for low impact rides after 5 days - all out efforts in 2 - 3 weeks.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike said:
    YukonRon said:

Thanks Ron, the Peloton is calling my name - surgeon said I can get back on for low impact rides after 5 days - all out efforts in 2 - 3 weeks.
    That’s really quick. Knees are so damn fragile. Homo Sapiens’ Achilles heel. 
  • CTMike
    edited January 2020
    YukonRon said:

My kid and I are planning a winter hike on Monadnock mid-February to bag another 4000’-er. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Hope the recovery goes well Mike!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good luck, get better, Mike.

I tore my meniscus, tore my MCL and got a tibial plateau fracture on my right knee at a motorcycle camp.  Good times. 

No surgery needed.  Said if it gives me problems they can scrape it out, whatever that means.  The fracture is what he said will hurt the worse.  And it did.
    Good luck, get better, Mike.

I tore my meniscus, tore my MCL and got a tibial plateau fracture on my right knee at a motorcycle camp.  Good times. 

No surgery needed.  Said if it gives me problems they can scrape it out, whatever that means.  The fracture is what he said will hurt the worse.  And it did.
    I remember your post about that - sounds excruciatingly painful.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Get well soon.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Holy Jumpin'  Je$us Chr-st-
    Your recovery time description sounds like textbook right there.  Best of luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    get well soon!

Thinking of you Mike, get well soon.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Screwed my right knee up in September 2018. Small tear.  Had an x ray, and ended up doing physical therapy In my shop.  I have done100 leg curls per day (5 x 20) for past 13 months.  Got that knee strong enough to play golf 7/days a week this past year.  Worth the effort to keep from surgery!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Good to go soon I hope. All the best on the recovery.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Best wishes for a quick recovery!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've assisted in >1,500 meniscal repairs. Everyone gets better. Listen to your body as you heal. If you push it and it swells, back off. That's my two cents. Again, best wishes!!
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Almost recovered from mine.  Good luck.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2020
    Hope the first couple of post-op days went well, and that recovery goes even better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Went in for pre op testing this morning.  Total left knee replacement a month from today and total right replacement on right 4 weeks after that.  Will be so happy to get rid of the pain and be able to walk, play golf and climb around trout streams !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Best of luck @Bentgrass

Keep us posted!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    @Bentgrass My wife's side of the family all have been faced with deteriorating knees. I have been fortunate, thus far, in not having to face that.

I will tell you in each case the results have been amazing. 

I took my BIL to get his done, I pulled up in the patient unloading zone, got him inside and registered, met with the doctor, and went outside to move the car and park it, literally 60 feet from where I originally parked.

I came back in, and upon getting to the waiting room, I was told I had to see the surgeon. I was thinking some thing bad had happened. They were done.
    Surgery completed in like less than 15 minutes? It was crazy.

He was riding a bike within a month, walking, doing things he had not been able to do in decades.  

Hop your results are equally amazing and a strong and quick recovery awaits.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Thank you both for the encouragement. Bike riding was one of the things I enjoyed most of all but have not attempted for over 2 years.  Had a hip replacement 3 1/2 years ago.  Don’t even want to think about going through TSA at the airport !  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • YukonRon
    Bentgrass said:
    Thank you both for the encouragement. Bike riding was one of the things I enjoyed most of all but have not attempted for over 2 years.  Had a hip replacement 3 1/2 years ago.  Don’t even want to think about going through TSA at the airport !  
    I had my left from the knee down rebuilt as well as my left ankle and left foot. The process has been over ten years.

Worth it brother. 

Our best.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky