Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Cooking Prime Rib Roast on a Gas Grill

Options
I am having a BBQ for my Stepsons wedding rehearsal party this Friday. We are staying at an Airbnb in California and the house has a 3 burner gas grill. It is. My plan is to light one burner and cook 2 5 lb roasts with Pecan wood chips wrapped in foil for smoke. I. I checked the grate temp using my Dot and it hits 200 degrees at the low setting. So my plan is to use a foil pan as it is an old grill and the grates are rusty. Will use DP Raising the Steaks as the rub. Plan is a 2-3 hr cook time at 200 grate temp. I did try setting the 2 outer burners on low but the temp was higher than I wanted. Any comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Wolfe
    Wolfe Posts: 79
    Options
    Crank all three burners to high the night before, clean the grates, coat in olive oil and do reverse sear. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Wolfe said:
    Crank all three burners to high the night before, clean the grates, coat in olive oil and do reverse sear. 
    I was going to do the reverse sear with or without the pan. Have already heated up the grates and cleaned them with a wire brush.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan.  I'll be watching this as I will be doing a similar cook at a friend's house for Christmas.  Please let us know how it goes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Depending on the gas grill - many have a decent air gap (like 1-2” along length of lid) in the back that your smoke will just flow out of - so you may need to either generate lots more smoke or use some HD foil inside to block part of that gap to direct the smoke over toward the roast.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Here's a Cook's Illustrated tip for maximizing gas grill flavor for long cooked-roasts. You can lay bacon over the grill grates and the fat will slowly drip and vaporize back up onto the food. Supposedly it better simulates what happens in a charcoal grill as fat drips into the fire. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    If your goal is to just use the grill cuz you are a grill kind of guy, that's groovy. But if your goal is to have a dead-on perfect result, the good old 'closed oven door' method is absolutely fool proof and turns out a dynamite result every single time, albeit, not smokey or grilled...
  • dstearn
    Options
    If your goal is to just use the grill cuz you are a grill kind of guy, that's groovy. But if your goal is to have a dead-on perfect result, the good old 'closed oven door' method is absolutely fool proof and turns out a dynamite result every single time, albeit, not smokey or grilled...
    I want to have smoke flavor but my ultimate goal is to reverse sear. Cook low and slow until 120 and then crank up the gas and sear for a minute on each side. Then rest as the carryover goes to 135. I have done this on my egg in the past with great results. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    Here are pictures of the grill. The dome thermo is stuck at 200. The DOT probe grate level maxed out at 200 with the right burner on low.

• SonVolt
    Options
    Looks like a relatively nice gasser. Should be alright if you can get it working. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2019
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Looks like a relatively nice gasser. Should be alright if you can get it working. 
    Agree, AOG is a solid grill.All nice stainless grates and the IR unit in the back.
    If you had to get stuck with a gasser...you could have done sooooo much worse.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you go ahead and dry the rib in the fridge now you could achieve a nice crust without having to sear at the end.   Done this many times on the egg with great results and crazy easy to hit target temp.  There is a good thread by @darby_crenshaw on this method that works great.  His post were very educational and interesting at the same time. I miss his post 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dstearn
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Picked up 2 5.8 lb Prime Roasts at Costco here. They will fit well on the left side. At 200-225 grate would 25 mins per lb or 2-3 hrs be a good estimate to get to 125 prior to sear?

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Where are you going to put the foil wrapped wood? You may not get any smoke. The A-Maze-N tube smoker with pellets might be a solution.
  • dstearn
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Where are you going to put the foil wrapped wood? You may not get any smoke. The A-Maze-N tube smoker with pellets might be a solution.
    I am placing it under the grate on the right side above the burner.
  • dstearn
    Options
    It looks like the roasts were blade tenderized at Costco. Should I be concerned?
  • Nmr1981
    Options
    I used a big cast iron grill pan to do a reverse sear on my prime rib on my gas grill. It came out awesome I cooked very low at 200 until internal hit 120 or so then I pulled the roast wrapped it until company came. Then I left the grill pan on the Weber turned to high until it hit 500 then placed the meat back in and got a great crust of salty peppery goodness. I still am trying to save up for a bge🙁 and had a char griller for years and loved charcoal until she just wore out. I still enjoy looking at this site and dreaming of cooking on a bge.
  • Nmr1981
    Options
    I used a big cast iron grill pan to do a reverse sear on my prime rib on my gas grill. It came out awesome I cooked very low at 200 until internal hit 120 or so then I pulled the roast wrapped it until company came. Then I left the grill pan on the Weber turned to high until it hit 500 then placed the meat back in and got a great crust of salty peppery goodness. I still am trying to save up for a bge🙁 and had a char griller for years and loved charcoal until she just wore out. I still enjoy looking at this site and dreaming of cooking on a bge.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Nmr1981 said:

This is how I typically cook steaks on my gasser. I preheat a 12" Lodge skillet on high until the surface-temp is reading 650F+, then sear both sides in the skillet. Then it spends a few flips on the grates for good measure. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Nmr1981.

Where are you located?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nmr1981
    Options
    Hey thanks for the welcome, I’m from NJ....SOUTH....jersey...looking forward to the holidays and all the food, family and friends 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    sous vide at 131 for 4 hours with light coating of salt, rosemary, thyme, quick chill in ice water, then sear at 450/500 on the grill. thats my go to for pork loins now but i sous vide those at 142.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dstearn
    Options
    sous vide at 131 for 4 hours with light coating of salt, rosemary, thyme, quick chill in ice water, then sear at 450/500 on the grill. thats my go to for pork loins now but i sous vide those at 142.
    No sous vide here at our Air Bnb. I will use the recipe from Baby Back Maniac using one burner on low/medium low and the left side of the grill for indirect. https://youtu.be/Z_BU1gjnSXA
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2019
    Options
    With gassers, if the roast will fit on the top rack, that's usually a better spot for "roasting" than sitting directly on the grill grates. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    With gassers, if the roast will fit on the top rack, that's usually a better spot for "roasting" than sitting directly on the grill grates. 
    There is no top rack just a warming rack and it would not fit. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    Rubbed with DP Raising the Steaks. Letting them sit out for an hour before the cook starts.

• the_crease
    Options
    Whoop there it is!  Nailed it 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @dstearn Way to deliver especially when under the gun.  Congrats on bringing it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @dstearn Way to deliver especially when under the gun.  Congrats on bringing it home.  
    Thanks Lou!
    The only other challenge I had was that the carving knife was dull and there was not knife sharpener at the house.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Lesson learned, when staying at an AirBnB bring a knife sharpener.