Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Duck

Options
REB17
REB17 Posts: 152
I've fried more than my share of turkeys and who hasn't fried a chicken. I'd like to deep fry a duck and wanted to see if anyone has tried it. 
LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That's interesting - to me the only fowl more greasy than a duck is a goose and I can't imagine either of those into potential fire bombs in a turkey fryer - but what do I know? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    I assume you’re talking about a domestic duck, not wild. I don’t think I’d fry it for the whole cook. There’s a ton of fat on them that I don’t see rendering during the frying process. If it were me, I’d smoke or roast it to render the fat then finish with frying to get the crispy fried texture and taste. Maybe even score the skin before cooking. Probably make for some pretty good duck chicharrones. But I’ve never done it, so take it strictly as my .02
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You absolutely can fry duck. Doesn’t matter if it’s wild or domestic. You fry them the same way. The only thing I do differently when frying duck vs turkey is fry hotter. I preheat the oil to 400 and when I drop the duck I maintain 365-375 degrees. Why? The duck can withstand the higher frying temp because it is not as massive as a turkey.  When frying turkey I still preheat to the same 400 but I maintain 325-350 degrees. 
    For a real treat, if you have the means steam your duck for a hour and finish cooking it in the deep fryer. You will not be disappointed my friend. Steamed/fried duck is as good as it gets 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thanks for the idea Scotty - it's duck season so I'll have to pluck a few and try that with the air fryer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    This video popped up on my EweTube, and looked so delicious I picked up some duck breast at the Commissary, will be trying it.
    It's more sous vide than anything (manual sous vide, you don't need a fancy machine), and sauteing rather than deep-frying, but looks so good.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=TJQQPKLMwAg 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.