Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BIL's "brisket"

Options
Just got back from my brother in law's where I tried his brisket.  I've known the guy for 20 years...he can't cook very well so I was worried when I heard this was the menu.  He is a lifelong gasser guy but recently got a pellet cooker and thinks he is ready for the competition circuit.  Anyway, before dinner I was asking him about the cook.  He said it was a 9 lber he put on at 9 am and temp ran between 210-260 the whole time.  We were eating at 3pm so I was dreading an undercooked brisket.  It certainly was..big chunks of unrendered fat, chewy as all get out, and terribly underseasoned.  His wife served the sides and informed us that she used zero salt and pepper so if we wanted that we would have to add it ourselves.

I of course was polite and said everything was good, but my fear is what happens when they come over to my place.  I feel like I almost have to do a brisket now just to show him what it is supposed to be like.  I am no brisket god, but I can get decent consistent results.  Anyway, I am really just looking for advice on how to subtly help someone learn how to cook without hurting feelings.  This has never been an issue because we used to live 2500 miles away and they never visited so have never had a meal from the egg.  Since we moved back home we are going to need to reciprocate and he should notice a big difference.  Anybody had a similar situation?

Comments

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    maybe inform him of a good pellet pooper forum
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    great points already made

invite them over, don't mention their meal, don't brag about yours of proactively offer pointers tips, enjoy the company. he might like his brisket the way it is. if not and he starts to ask you questions, then offer tips
    Boom
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    great points already made

invite them over, don't mention their meal, don't brag about yours of proactively offer pointers tips, enjoy the company. he might like his brisket the way it is. if not and he starts to ask you questions, then offer tips
    Exactly.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Welcome him in, Give him a bourbon, or two....pat him on the back, and have a lovely dinner. Warn them if you use salt or pepper as seasoning for the sides..
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Miked125
    Options
    You do the brisket and help if he ask how you did it. The salt & pepper thing is annoying, salt makes food better.....

We actually had a party on Friday for my sons first birthday & I did 20 lbs of pulled pork. A few of the men had pellet smokers and said they couldn't believe the difference in the egg to pellet smoker, one guy had four plates I think haha.

I have had pretty good results on my pellet smoker with PP but I really find it comes down to
    (1) quality of meat - people buy the wrong cut or half the cut.
    (2) seasoning - Lack there of or they make their own and don't know a lot about it.
    (3) trimming -more for brisket.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    I could only imagine the garbage I was turning out with my imitation Weber Smokey Mountain I had in my early 20's. Give it a little more time and playing around and he might come around yet. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Give him a gift. 
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    If they don't ask for advice, don’t offer. Just enjoy the time together and offer to host the next one. If they care, they will ask you how you did it. If not, just let it go (and offer to host more often than not). 
     This. If I don't enjoy someone's cooking, I always offer to bring something. That way I know at least 1 item will be edible. I'll usually offer to host though, so I can cook, and graciously accept if they ask  to bring something. 

It's not my place to try and school people on how to cook/BBQ, but I'm happy to help when asked. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Give him a gift. 
    love that book. between that and meathead's I am not sure I'll ever need another one on smoking/bbq
    Boom
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,580
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have the opposite experience. Recently two newbies in my family (SIL and a niece's hubby) had great success cooking brisket within a week of acquiring a Traeger. 

I posted one of them earlier:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221135/ot-newbie-brisket-on-the-traeger-more-than-decent
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    I have the opposite experience. Recently two newbies in my family (SIL and a niece's hubby) had great success cooking brisket within a week of acquiring a Traeger. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221135/ot-newbie-brisket-on-the-traeger-more-than-decent
    Some folks can learn. Some folks can't. I hope to be counted among the former :smiley:

And let's not forget that your BIL recognized that he had a tremendous resource to tap. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    I would eventually cook your BIL/family a brisket, and not say anything until asked.
    But, I wouldn't cook the brisket at your very next get-together; that would almost seem like rubbing his face in it.  Make chicken or a butt or something else.  FWIW.    

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss. Some people simply don’t know what good food tastes like.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,792
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss. Some people simply don’t know what good food tastes like.
    And the Franchise “ streak houses” capatizile on this and rather than invest in quality they invest in Ad campaigns......Applebee’s/Chili’s / or whatever is in your area 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,580
    Options
    caliking said:

Some folks can learn. Some folks can't. I hope to be counted among the former :smiley:

And let's not forget that your BIL recognized that he had a tremendous resource to tap. 
    Haha, easy for them to shine because I set the brisket bar too low for them  :)
    canuckland
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Guess it depends on the relationship but I would be pretty open with my wife’s brothers.  We talk sheet on each other all the time so constructive criticism would be like nothing compared to our other banters.  Wouldn’t be a talking down to type conversation at all with them, they make fun of my gringo ways plenty for me to give some feedback on bad BBQ! 
  • jeponline
    Options
    Give him a gift. 
    love that book. between that and meathead's I am not sure I'll ever need another one on smoking/bbq
    Only $13.99.  I just ordered it.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Give him a gift. love that book. between that and meathead's I am not sure I'll ever need another one on smoking/bbq
    Only $13.99.  I just ordered it.
    I did, too.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2019
    Options

You should try cooking 2 briskets side by side and invite them over. Pull one at 185 knowing it's under done and pull the other at 205 and let him see the difference for himself in a side by side cook. Then when he asks you what you did different tell him "you think" you pulled the one a tad early.

In truth I'm being a sm@rt a$$ and have no real pointers on the situation. I don't envy your position at all.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• haroldopsf
    haroldopsf Posts: 37
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Just a different point of view here... My BIL and I are pretty open. He has a Big Joe, I have the XL. We have a history of healthy competition on pretty much everything...Who has the fastest phone, who has the lowest resting heart beat, ...... many other stupid things ..., and finally, who cooks the best bbq :D 

We simply have no shame. I hate sugar on any meat (do you really need sugar to make meat taste good?). He loooooves sugar on everything, specially pork ribs, or pork butt. I make fun of his sugary meats every time he has me over.

Sometimes I have over salted and also have over cooked ribs dry. Oh, he had a good ol time giving me $hit for it :) 

It's all good, and we crack up at each other when that happens. Don't take things to seriously. Life is short