Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket a success...

Options
WJunebug
WJunebug Posts: 18
First brisket was a success...my finger not so much - 3 stitches.  I was so nervous smoking my first brisket - 12 lb. packer brisket but it was delicious! 

Plano, TX - L BGE

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    My congratulations, condolences, and a big hearty welcome!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WJunebug
    Options
    Thank you!
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Way to bring it here right out of the gate.  Brisket for the win right there.  Congrats.  Now, about that knife action...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  Brisket looks great.  Hope your finger feels better.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    brisket looks good. Chicks dig scars. win - win.
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    WJunebug said:
    First brisket was a success..
    Cesar Hernandez salutes you👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding cook @WJunebug. Amazing effort right out of the gate.
    You are a rookie no more, and you are now a bonafide brisket champion.
    Stitces, burns and smelling like smoke is a part of the game. Rub some dirt on it and egg on.
    Welcome to this insane group. Glad to have you, sorry you have to put up with us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon “rub some dirt on it” Ha! Were our parents related? I’ve heard that more than once. Also, “If there’s no bone sticking out and blood isn’t pooling, you ain’t hurt”
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon “rub some dirt on it” Ha! Were our parents related? I’ve heard that more than once. Also, “If there’s no bone sticking out and blood isn’t pooling, you ain’t hurt”
    I had a coach that would never let me off the field, not because we were any good, we only had 14 players, and I was a 8th grader on the varsity team, basically mercy ruled at halftime.

I got kicked once under the face mask and it cut me under my jaw and chin, blood was everywhere. It almost knocked my helmet off.

He grabbed me by my facemask when the refs helped me off the field, he looked at it.

It was not as bad as it looked, he said.

Told me to rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

I did. Rubbed dirt all over it, went back in and single handidly kept the loss under 60 points.

A valuable lesson was learned that night.

Use a better chin strap when you are getting your face kicked in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I'm going to remember that one!
    NC - LBGE
  • SciAggie
    Options
    wardo said:
    YukonRon said:

I'm going to remember that one!
    I may have to quote him twice in my sig line... That’s hilarious. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Excellent job on that briskie, wow what a smoke ring!  Welcome!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hopefully, men do too. Pretty sure that’s a woman’s hand. At least the nails would imply that this might be the case. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,295
    edited June 2019
    Options
    With regard regard to your finger, did you make sure to slice against the grain? 😉

Welcome, and good lookin’ cook!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Nice cook!  I cut my finger a few years ago and since then have always worn cutting gloves with a food safety glove on top.  I think it was $8 on Amazon.  Great investment!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • WJunebug
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Outstanding cook @WJunebug. Amazing effort right out of the gate.
    You are a rookie no more, and you are now a bonafide brisket champion.
    Stitces, burns and smelling like smoke is a part of the game. Rub some dirt on it and egg on.
    Welcome to this insane group. Glad to have you, sorry you have to put up with us.

Plano, TX - L BGE
  • WJunebug
    Options
    Thank you!  I felt pretty proud of myself for tackling such a big project after stressing out about it for days -- despite the minor injury.
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • WJunebug
    Options
    Hopefully, men do too. Pretty sure that’s a woman’s hand. At least the nails would imply that this might be the case. 
    You are very observant.  Yes, a woman's hand. 
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • WJunebug
    Options
    With regard regard to your finger, did you make sure to slice against the grain? 😉

Welcome, and good lookin’ cook!

Actually, I cut it while trimming some of the extra fat before cooking, which I will NOT do again.  It seems some say trim to 1/4" while others say leave on all the fat until after the cook.  Next time, I will leave it on.
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nasty cut but great looking brisket. Welcome and well done. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WJunebug
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Nice cook!  I cut my finger a few years ago and since then have always worn cutting gloves with a food safety glove on top.  I think it was $8 on Amazon.  Great investment!
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • WJunebug
    Options
    WJunebug said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    Many thanks for the tip!
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @WJunebug your finger and your brisket but the great majority of brisket cooks do trim to around 1/4".  Regardless of where you land, I would suggest you trim the hard fat as it will not render.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WJunebug
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WJunebug your finger and your brisket but the great majority of brisket cooks do trim to around 1/4".  Regardless of where you land, I would suggest you trim the hard fat as it will not render.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  B)
    OK.  I'll be more careful next time for sure.  Obviously, I'm still a rookie!  LOL
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @WJunebug PM sent with some brisket info, learned the hard way. 
  • WJunebug
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WJunebug PM sent with some brisket info, learned the hard way. 
    Thank you for the detailed instructions and advice.  I really appreciate your taking the extra time to help out us new EGGheads.  
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • marysvilleksegghead
    marysvilleksegghead Posts: 862
    edited July 2019
    Options
    sorry about your cut  :o 
    Brisky looks perfect!
    after cutting myself way too many times, I broke down and ordered these:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXUHHGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use a food grade latex glove over them
    HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • WJunebug
    Options
    Thanks!  I just ordered the cut resistant gloves.
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Great cook.  Welcome aboard.  Please contribute regularly as we could use a little more diverse input at times.

Hopefully the finger heals well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX