Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Breaking in the walk-in refrigerator - beef is hanging!

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
(Warning- one fairly graphic picture below)

As many of you know, late winter and spring I was building a walk-in refrigerator with my buddy.  Well, yesterday we decided to put it to use.  We purchased a steer locally and had a mobile butcher stop by to take care of the slaughter. 

It was interesting to see the process from beginning to end.  The steer was in his home field and was totally stress free when dispatched.  He had no idea what hit him if he knew he even got hit. Once all the animals bled out, they were hung, skinned and eviscerated right there on the farm. 

From that point, we had the carcass split down the center and then each side sliced in thirds.

From there, we weighed each piece, tagged it and hung it on our meat rail.  It was exciting to see the room to be put to use. As you can see, we did not get the meat trolleys in time.

From here we we will let the meat hang for at least 2 weeks, and maybe three.

I will update this thread once the real butchering and breakdown takes place.

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax
--------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments