Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Bend

dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
Spending a couple of days in Big Bend before a wedding in Del Rio. 

First time here. Beautiful scenery. Incredible hiking. 

And great margaritas at the pool at the Gage Hotel in Marathon. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    The Gage is indeed a little oasis in that area.  

What hikes did you do - are you going to do?

Also, at this time of year, as you drive in/near Big Bend shortly after dark the minor "crunching" that you hear/feel under your tires is typically rattlesnakes heading for the warm road after the sun goes down and everything else cools off.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice.  I love hiking.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Marathon looks interesting on Google maps.  

Almost like a walled city point up with literally nothing around it. 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Love Big Bend, the Lost Mine trail and Grapevine Hills were our favorites.  It can be a beast, but really try to get to Santa Elana Canyon for sunrise, it is amazing.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• One of my favorite spots on earth. I get out there most years for my birthday 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    The golf course in Lajitas is amazing
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    On my list of want to do’s.  Son goes backpacking there, usually in January.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    We did an overnight raft trip through Santa Elena.  Spent the night just upriver from the start of the canyon.  I've never seen a sky like that.  Literally thousands of stars visible after the moon set.  That plus a trip to the McDonald Observatory for a stargazing party (highly recommended) was very humbling.  

Camping at Balmorrhea State Park was also time well spent.  Nothing like a dive off an old fashioned 10 foot high springboard into a damned up clear creek made into (at the time) the world's largest outdoor swimming pool that's 20+ feet deep and has giant catfish on the bottom.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Big Bend is one of our favorite spots as well, and this reminds me that it’s high time we got back.  Beautiful pics. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • dmchicago
    The entire Santa Elena area is closed due to a wildfire. So we’ll be in the eastern part today 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • If you get a chance, swing by Marfa and Alpine.  Esp. Marfa.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    FYI, if you go up into the basin, I recommend the Window Trail (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/texas/the-window-trail).  Great view to the west, IIRC.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • dmchicago
    thetrim said:
    Marathon looks interesting on Google maps.  

Almost like a walled city point up with literally nothing around it. 

They don't even have a Whataburger!

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited May 2019
    Love this post.
    We are in Colorado, going to do some climbing and snowboarding, otherwise known as "Watch YukonRon eat snow from dozens of face plants.."
    Good times.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    Lost Mine Hike

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    YukonRon said:
    Love this post.
    We are in Colorado, going to do some climbing and snowboarding, otherwise known as "Watch YukonRon eat snow from dozens of face plants.."
    Good times.
    We’ll be in Boulder next week. Any hiking suggestions?

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited May 2019
    My Beautiful Wife and I did Mt Huron..(14,000 feet) for my money, it is likely the most beautiful hike, scramble, summit of any of the 14ers in Colorado. It is a bit of a drive to get to but worth it.
    We actually enjoy going off trail, but be prepared. Elevation hiking in the spring is a special challenge (ice, snow, and the melts)
    Bring plenty of insect repellent and when you think you have enough on, add more.
    You will be in the heart of tick season...and mosquitos roam in clouds.
    Another hike that is incredible is the Red Mountain loop and is the source of the Colorado River...it also has opposition creek, a creek about 10,000 feet in elevation that you can watch flow uphill.....strenuous but fun....take a map and a compass.
    There are plenty of easier hikes around boulder....lots of backpacking apps (check out "all trails") to guide you to what you want to see.
    Let me know if you need more data...

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky