Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Gyros

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I started reading this thread and was about to sit down so I could take it all in, when I realized that I had posted when it originally debuted... and had the exact same thoughts again :) I'm still in awe as I was then!

@lkapigian - the masalwaurst "recipe" was born of looking at a pile of meat and imagining what flavors I wanted to taste in it. Then SOMEONE pushed a scale in front of me and made me think of it in terms of gms of spices/kg of meat. Sort of worked. I would measure the salt per your taste, but the spice mix is what you want it to be. Think of it as an encased kabab. 

In the original version of masalawurst, spices were measured and roasted, then I looked at it and said "nah, we should use half of that". You get the picture.

(apologies for the hijack @smokingal ).  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited February 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    I started reading this thread and was about to sit down so I could take it all in, when I realized that I had posted when it originally debuted... and had the exact same thoughts again :) I'm still in awe as I was then!

@lkapigian - the masalwaurst "recipe" was born of looking at a pile of meat and imagining what flavors I wanted to taste in it. Then SOMEONE pushed a scale in front of me and made me think of it in terms of gms of spices/kg of meat. Sort of worked. I would measure the salt per your taste, but the spice mix is what you want it to be. Think of it as an encased kabab. 

In the original version of masalawurst, spices were measured and roasted, then I looked at it and said "nah, we should use half of that". You get the picture.

(apologies for the hijack @smokingal ).  
    Thanks @caliking , my exact plan is an encased kebab 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had a peanut butter sandwich with raisin cinnamon swirl toast, OJ, and for desert, I had a Little Debbie's fudge round.

This is another spectacular cook, as always.

The gap between my ability and your skill widens further with each post.

Currently you are a distant ship's smoke on the horizon and I am still on the dock.

Absolutely beautiful post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    smokingal said:
    lkapigian said:
    Bump @smokingal ....looking to see if you have a % of seasoning to weight of protein...............trying to engineer a Gyro Sausage with blended spices vs individual 

Thanks in advance 
    Sorry, @lkapigian - I can't remember the last time I measured seasonings.  I think my measuring spoons are actually still in storage.  I do tend to go a bit lighter on herbs de provence, as a little goes a long way.  I just combine the spices per my taste, i.e. easy on the herbs de provence, very heavy on the garlic/onion and finely grind them using a spice grinder.  Once everything is well coated, I consider it well seasoned.
    You and @caliking would get along just fine. 

“Masalawurst is a concept, not a recipe” 
    -Caliking 
    I think @caliking has the same "concept" approach to his sourdough starter as well. I am detecting a pattern.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @smokingal What an awesome step by step cook. You really know how to keep an audience's attention. I found it very helpful and interesting. Well done. You and @The Cen-Tex Smoker have some of the best show and tell post.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    smokingal said:

The chicken was sliced and lightly fried to give it some color.  Duck fat was heated up for fries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNC5QviPptw
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI