Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Japanese Crack

This is the best shoyu/soy sauce I have ever tasted in my life. I put it on/in everything. The Umami is incredible. Priced more like bourbon at $40 per 750ml bottle but worth every penny. Never tasted anything like it. They have a fish sauce I'm going back for this weekend. You are welcome.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX

Comments

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 14,975
    I’ll have to check it out.  But if I like it too, does that make us both Japanese crack whores? I feel like this is kind of an existential question.
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,051
    Same expense acct as before? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 19,422
    I’ll have to check it out.  But if I like it too, does that make us both Japanese crack whores? I feel like this is kind of an existential question.
    I've been called worse.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,726
    Forum directed spending in plain view. Anxious to try it. Thanks 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 31,148
    Isn't Japanese crack usually pixelated?  It does look smaller when it isn't.  Anyway, I'm intrigued.

• buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,883
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,316
    Many years ago when this company first started I tried a few of their sauces and they also made small batch whisky barrel soy sauce. It was nice but I never thought it was worth the premium pricing (at least not for my plebian pallate).
    If you haven't already tried it you may want to give it a shot - https://bourbonbarrelfoods.com/product/bluegrass-soy-sauce/

I see they have added ponzu to their lineup; I use a lot of ponzu and may have to give their stuff a try but at that price I'm pretty sure it won't be something I'll be repeat ordering often.

Camped out in the (757/804)
    buzd504 said:
    Just FYI that is for the 375ml bottle.
    edited March 7
    and I ordered the fish sauce this morning. I picked up the shoyu at Central Market. I actually paid $49.99 for it. It's $40 on Amazon but $9.99 shipping. They have a smoked Shoyu and a Cherry Blossom version as well. I want to try them all. I can stop stealing little sips of this one.
    buzd504 said:
    Just FYI that is for the 375ml bottle.
    Son of a beeyotch
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

I would probably drink the entire bottle and go into a salt coma.

and I ordered the fish sauce this morning. I picked up the shoyu at Central Market. I actually paid $49.99 for it. It's $40 on Amazon but $9.99 shipping. They have a smoked Shoyu and a Cherry Blossom version as well. I want to try them all. I can stop stealing little sips of this one.
    I can totally see you taking occasional breaks from work to wander into your kitchen to take shots of whiskey-barrel aged soy sauce.  That's living the high life right there. 

I can totally see you taking occasional breaks from work to wander into your kitchen to take shots of whiskey-barrel aged soy sauce.  That's living the high life right there. 
    That is exactly what is happening. I put a little in my sauteed spinach for my omelette this morning. I. Can't. Stop.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 24,941
    im out, thats twice the value of crown =)
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,879
    What next for the whiskey barrel flavor infusion??  At least my palate is so trashed from years of Tabasco sauce (aged in Jack Daniels barrels) and helping to empty those whiskey barrels of their original product I can pass on this one. 
    Louisville;  "indeterminate Jim" here; L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 15,458
    What’s it taste like on a cricket? Asking for a friend. 
    Might be apropos to create a signature sauce for butt blast and call it butt crack.  Just a thought.

wrong thread?

if so, deserving of a t-shirt and the bottle needs to be pixelated.

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,495
    edited March 7
    Good thing I don't have kids; they wouldn't have clothes on their backs.
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
    edited March 7
    =) =) =)
    just think what happens when these kids graduate to whiskey

• LegumeLegume Posts: 9,818
    Maybe twice the cost of Crown.  Value?  I don’t value Crown very highly, so maybe 4-5x?
    Austin, TX
    Legume said:
    Maybe twice the cost of Crown.  Value?  I don’t value Crown very highly, so maybe 4-5x?
      a 1.75 liter bottle is 37.99.   im more a bulleit rye fan or tanguray, or hornitos  for drinking but the crown goes fastest passing around a table at the lake.  i dont like hosting but have no problem tossing out a bucket of ice and a handle on the patio, pour what you want when you want it, theres more when its gone. my neighbors are more formal filling empty cups as they see fit
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 9,818
    Legume said:
      a 1.75 liter bottle is 37.99.   im more a bulleit rye fan or tanguray, or hornitos  for drinking but the crown goes fastest passing around a table at the lake.  i dont like hosting but have no problem tossing out a bucket of ice and a handle on the patio, pour what you want when you want it, theres more when its gone. my neighbors are more formal filling empty cups as they see fit
    Very true - Crown goes fast in a crowd here and people love it.
    Austin, TX
    edited March 7
    True but it will last me a year (edit- if I stop sneaking sips). $40 of crown is gone in a night with the right crew
  • billt01billt01 Posts: 965
    I would probably drink the entire bottle and go into a salt coma.
    isn't salt an "upper"
     "Don't listen to her, Bob.Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach."
                                                                                                     -Jane
                                                                                                     "Man and Superman"
    Have:
     XLBGE / LBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3), Blackstone 36

Had:
    Lang 60D, Cookshack SM150, Stumps Stretch, Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• BotchBotch Posts: 8,291
    What's next for the whiskey barrel flavor infusion??
    AEROSOL CHEESE!!  :triumph:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.