Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

doctors visit tomorrow

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,958
    Options
    smokingal said:
    only had that colonoscopy once. no drugs, no anesthesia,  knock me out sciatica pains at the time,  that really was no fun. smaller snake, anesthesia, co2 hopefully is a game changer
    fishlessman Are you sure you didn't receive a sigmoidoscopy as opposed to a colonoscopy that first time?  A sigmoidoscopy is performed in office, without any anesthesia, and is not pleasant.  Performing a colonoscopy while a patient is still conscious should get a doctor reported to the state medical board.
    it was the full blown colonoscopy,   i had an intense pain in my gut for several months before as i was sent everywhere for testing, they needed me conscious to monitor the pain. after about 9 months the pain subsided, never knew what caused it. horrible experience, they went extremely slow, i would have to wait for the pumped in air to dissipate, they move another cm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    And 150/90 is not an optimal goal unless you’re in check out age range.  Perhaps a short-term goal.  Latest studies suggest much lower is better (unless your passing out and rolling your suv).  120s-130/70s.  No expert but I do read.
    thats my goal for 4 weeks down the road,  i had just changed over to a more mediterranean style food intake and he said lose a few pounds and the diet i might be closer to 140/ maybe 85 in a few months.  he did say he does not believe in chasing the new numbers for bp.  im sure the meds will chage in 4 weeks anyways
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Glad to hear you’re OK for the most part fish, seriously.  I hope the medicine works for you.
    im sure theres more things to come, im sure a lobotomy is still on the table
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    curiously,  no mention about the drinking, i went with a lowball number of 35 with the assumption he would think 70, and still nothing =)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,811
    Options
    curiously,  no mention about the drinking, i went with a lowball number of 35 with the assumption he would think 70, and still nothing =)
    But wasn't that the monthly total...He!!, seventy for a month is quite tame.  Now 70 a week and that may be worthy of conversation.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2019
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    But wasn't that the monthly total...He!!, seventy for a month is quite tame.  Now 70 a week and that may be worthy of conversation.  FWIW-
    one on one i said 35 a week,  all the forms you fill out nobody looks at. i went back to edit but it was too late darnnit =)  basically 9x5days then weekends and holidays and that would be guessing, theres a certain point where there can only be estimating ;) was wondering if any one would catch that =) and thats just the beer
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Your drinks are bigger than our units, plus 75%, and our recommended weekly intake is now 14 units, so 8 US drinks. Unless we are away somewhere, when I drink what I want, I'm on between zero and 3 US drinks a week now. It's easy enough to stay off once you break the habit.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Your drinks are bigger than our units, plus 75%, and our recommended weekly intake is now 14 units, so 8 US drinks. Unless we are away somewhere, when I drink what I want, I'm on between zero and 3 US drinks a week now. It's easy enough to stay off once you break the habit.
    what habit
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ARBs are common first-line treatment for BP. Smaller SE profile than ACEI (lisinopril), though ACEI provide some kidney protection so they are common with diabetics.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    What would @nolaegghead say?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    Options
    What would @nolaegghead say?
    i would be dead if i stayed awake all night like nola =)
    fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I think if i remember right, my doctor said anymore than three a night kills brain cells, anyway something like that
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    I think if i remember right, my doctor said anymore than three a night kills brain cells, anyway something like that
    thats a myth, it does not kill brain cells
    fukahwee maine

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    If that was the case, I would be a helmet wearing, window licking fool by now.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    What the doctor meant was that "you can't kill what you don't have". :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Wernicke-Korsakoff says “hi”.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @fishlessman Wow.  That's horrible.  It seems like they had their reasons for not knocking you out, but that procedure is nothing nice.  Experiences like that keep people from seeking medical treatment.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @fishlessman Wow.  That's horrible.  It seems like they had their reasons for not knocking you out, but that procedure is nothing nice.  Experiences like that keep people from seeking medical treatment.
    This is interesting, as many of our patients chose no sedation or just twilight. The only ones typically choosing general were those with extensive disease symptoms or getting their TI dilated. Granted, these weren’t your typical colon cancer screening patients.   The complaint is never about the procedure, just the prep.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Wernicke-Korsakoff says “hi”.
    Wernicke-Korsakoff, let me introduce you to Mr Alzheimer

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    smokingal said:
    This is interesting, as many of our patients chose no sedation or just twilight. The only ones typically choosing general were those with extensive disease symptoms or getting their TI dilated. Granted, these weren’t your typical colon cancer screening patients.   The complaint is never about the procedure, just the prep.
    perfectly good with the prep, i want to be lights out next time.  whatever problem was causing the initial pain is long gone so it probably would not be as painful of an experience now plus it looks like they have come along way with the device now from 30 years back
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    so three days lost 4 pounds, assume thats mostly water from no added salt. went from 172/100 to 152/89 this morning. just the one low dose pill yesterday.  would not believe its the med with just one day, must be mostly  the extra water weight
    fukahwee maine

• OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    drinks per month, how to answer the question on the pre-screening form :o or is that moderate exercise so we're good =)

My doctor told me 1 drink a day. I negotiated her up to 2 on weekdays and 3 on weekends. I also started drinking tall boys......still nowhere near this amount!

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    smokingal said:
    perfectly good with the prep, i want to be lights out next time.  whatever problem was causing the initial pain is long gone so it probably would not be as painful of an experience now plus it looks like they have come along way with the device now from 30 years back
    Pediatric scopes are typically used for all patients now, in addition to technology advancements.
  • fishlessman
    Options

128/80 this am,  something must be working right.  this mediteranean diet is a strange one. yesterday ate bluberries, dried cranberries, watermelon, walnuts, with kiefer milk ,  two eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce with garlic english muffins dripping in mozz cheese for breakfast. lunch was a big tuna salad with kumatoes, english cukes,red onion, tebouleh, and a lemon caper dressing heavey with oil, then lemon chicken piccata for dinner with the left over salad. pinot noir for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  this diet kicks atkins butt

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    ARBs are common first-line treatment for BP. Smaller SE profile than ACEI (lisinopril), though ACEI provide some kidney protection so they are common with diabetics.
    just switched to an arb,  losartan. periodontist did not want me on a calcium channel blocker.  see how this works out
    fukahwee maine

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,569
    Options
    thetrim said:
    My mom had a serious case of colon cancer in her mid 30s.  She's still with us and is kicking it at 77.

When I was in my mid 20s I was having some GI issues, so I've had colonoscopies every 3-5 years since then.  All have been clean.

Besides from the Army Dr at BAMC who did my first and didn't agree with liberal use of anesthesia, all have been really no big deal.  In fact, I would say the 5-7 seconds before the propofol really kicks in, makes it all worth it. 

Like many others have said, get it done.  Sure as hell beats shitting in a bag for the rest of your life or eve worse.
    propofol

best

Rest 

Ever!!!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,655
    Options

128/80 this am,  something must be working right. 

Great progress!!! Congratulations.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I 100% agree on the best sleep ever.  Only have been put under once, but man does it work.

i did get put on 10 mg of Lisinopril a couple years ago, and it keeps me around 128/70.  I just always feel lightheaded since going on it.  And I know it’s a no-no to take alcohol when taking Lisinopril.  Sucks to get old!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Had the Lisinopril cough when first diagnosed with high blood pressure. Switched to Losartan and it went away after a couple of weeks. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.