Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Charbroiled Oysters Over an Open Fire

A little butter, garlic and romano cheese.

I had these at Drago's and Felix's in NOLA last week and needed them again.
Fort Washington - Pennsylvania

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,220
    I need to try this.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aubie1Aubie1 Posts: 196

Some that I did recently on the BGE. Not Drago's recipe but close. Added a little more cheese and chopped tasso on top.

Confession time: I use porcelain oyster shells and processed oysters rather than shucking my own for the grilled version. 
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,488
    I need some of that!
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • I manage to get to Drago's in Metairie any time I get near the 504 area code.  IMHO that particular establishment does these far better than anywhere else including its sisters in the French Quarter or here in Jackson MS.  It is also one of the very few things I have not managed to duplicate or better at home though I do make them all of the time—always on the Webber.  Kind of messy.
  • This is what Drago's gives you, my favorite by far.  Really hard to duplicate.
    Fort Washington - Pennsylvania
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 31,264
    They are not hard to duplicate.  The dirty little secret is that they, and some other restaurants in the NOLA area get the "prime" oysters.  

The oyster business in South Louisiana is run by the Czechs and other Slavic families, and run like the mob.  The best oysters go to whoever they decide get them, and Dragos are fellow countrymen.  

Analogous to Franklin's brisket and any other top tier restaurant,  the food's main influence is quality, and that's why they are so good.  

You'll find even their quality suffers when we get bad oyster crops from fresh water infusions. 

• SGHSGH Posts: 26,415
    They are not hard to duplicate.  The dirty little secret is that they, and some other restaurants in the NOLA area get the "prime" oysters.  

The oyster business in South Louisiana is run by the Czechs and other Slavic families, and run like the mob.  The best oysters go to whoever they decide get them, and Dragos are fellow countrymen.  

Analogous to Franklin's brisket and any other top tier restaurant,  the food's main influence is quality, and that's why they are so good.  

You'll find even their quality suffers when we get bad oyster crops from fresh water infusions. 
    Agree 100% my long haired friend. There are several places around Biloxi now that has chargrilled oysters as good or even better than Dragos. With that said, there are times that the chargrilled oysters are good but not excellent. It’s no doubt a direct result of the quality of the oysters that they are getting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Just a man with a Muhle. 
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,880
    ColtsFan said:
    If you have access to decent oysters, there's no need for all that.
    NOLA
    buzd504 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    If you have access to decent oysters, there's no need for all that.
    It's challenging at times being in Indiana. Only advantage I see here is that they supply the "shells" and I wouldn't have to buy these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BVX2Y6W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01BVX2Y6W&pd_rd_w=kgllj&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=2iUwN&pf_rd_r=N0D31W1TSKFHTRTMDX3E&pd_rd_r=0d9d06c1-2edf-11e9-827c-dd07d49e9177
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 6,943
    We do them like this then shuck them once cooked (not my pic).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,286
    I wish I could get oysters in southern IL. I don't trust any I see around here. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 31,264
    I wish I could get oysters in southern IL. I don't trust any I see around here. 
    If you can find boxes or sacks, by law they need to include the location and date of harvest.  If refrigerated and not submerged in water, oysters are good (alive) for up to 2 weeks.  Given it's less than 2 days to drive to S. Illinois, I don't see why you couldn't find good oysters unless there is no market for them because no one trusts them...