Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charbroiled Oysters Over an Open Fire

Options

A little butter, garlic and romano cheese.

I had these at Drago's and Felix's in NOLA last week and needed them again.
Doylestown - Pennsylvania

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I need to try this.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Options

Some that I did recently on the BGE. Not Drago's recipe but close. Added a little more cheese and chopped tasso on top.

Confession time: I use porcelain oyster shells and processed oysters rather than shucking my own for the grilled version. 
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I need some of that!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Youngster
    Options
    I manage to get to Drago's in Metairie any time I get near the 504 area code.  IMHO that particular establishment does these far better than anywhere else including its sisters in the French Quarter or here in Jackson MS.  It is also one of the very few things I have not managed to duplicate or better at home though I do make them all of the time—always on the Webber.  Kind of messy.
  • ScottyTooHotty
    Options
    This is what Drago's gives you, my favorite by far.  Really hard to duplicate.
    Doylestown - Pennsylvania
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They are not hard to duplicate.  The dirty little secret is that they, and some other restaurants in the NOLA area get the "prime" oysters.  

The oyster business in South Louisiana is run by the Czechs and other Slavic families, and run like the mob.  The best oysters go to whoever they decide get them, and Dragos are fellow countrymen.  

Analogous to Franklin's brisket and any other top tier restaurant,  the food's main influence is quality, and that's why they are so good.  

You'll find even their quality suffers when we get bad oyster crops from fresh water infusions. 
    Options

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    They are not hard to duplicate.  The dirty little secret is that they, and some other restaurants in the NOLA area get the "prime" oysters.  

The oyster business in South Louisiana is run by the Czechs and other Slavic families, and run like the mob.  The best oysters go to whoever they decide get them, and Dragos are fellow countrymen.  

Analogous to Franklin's brisket and any other top tier restaurant,  the food's main influence is quality, and that's why they are so good.  

You'll find even their quality suffers when we get bad oyster crops from fresh water infusions. 
    Agree 100% my long haired friend. There are several places around Biloxi now that has chargrilled oysters as good or even better than Dragos. With that said, there are times that the chargrilled oysters are good but not excellent. It’s no doubt a direct result of the quality of the oysters that they are getting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    If you have access to decent oysters, there's no need for all that.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    If you have access to decent oysters, there's no need for all that.
    It's challenging at times being in Indiana. Only advantage I see here is that they supply the "shells" and I wouldn't have to buy these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BVX2Y6W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01BVX2Y6W&pd_rd_w=kgllj&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=2iUwN&pf_rd_r=N0D31W1TSKFHTRTMDX3E&pd_rd_r=0d9d06c1-2edf-11e9-827c-dd07d49e9177

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We do them like this then shuck them once cooked (not my pic).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I wish I could get oysters in southern IL. I don't trust any I see around here. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wish I could get oysters in southern IL. I don't trust any I see around here. 
    If you can find boxes or sacks, by law they need to include the location and date of harvest.  If refrigerated and not submerged in water, oysters are good (alive) for up to 2 weeks.  Given it's less than 2 days to drive to S. Illinois, I don't see why you couldn't find good oysters unless there is no market for them because no one trusts them...
    Options

Wife and I polished off four dozen tonight.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Don’t know why you go to all that trouble to cook them? Actually love them any way you fixim. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I’m fortunate enough to live near the SC coast. We like to hit the marsh and pick up a bushel of oysters every now and then. Muddy and hard work but good stuff. I’ll only eat them smoked, steamed, fried or chargrilled. 
  • Aubie1
    Options
    Don’t know why you go to all that trouble to cook them? Actually love them any way you fixim. 
    Love em on the half shell but had food poisoning and an allergic reaction to shell fish back in 08. I ate shrimp and oysters on the half sell twice that week end. The doc said not to eat raw oysters again, eventually I could eat shrimp again. Shrimp no longer a problem but I stay away from the raw oysters but damn I miss them.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I only eat them any way I can get them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BigreenGreg
    Options

This is how I’ve done them, adapting to use the Blackstone with the wet burlap this weekend. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

This is how I’ve done them, adapting to use the Blackstone with the wet burlap this weekend. 
    I have seen them done with steel and wet burlap.
    Steel with water and no burlap
    on a closed grill with no burlap (how I do them) and
    on an open grill with wet burlap.

All of those are cooked over a charcoal fire and a bit of the lump taste gets into the oysters, which really bumps up the oysters.  Plus, you are standing around a fire of some sort which is always a nice place to be with friends. :)

I would think doing it over a blackstone will yield results not much different than steaming them in a pot from a flavor stand-point.  Only benefit being that you are outside so the cleanup is a lot easier to manage.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Aubie1 said:

Some that I did recently on the BGE. Not Drago's recipe but close. Added a little more cheese and chopped tasso on top.

Confession time: I use porcelain oyster shells and processed oysters rather than shucking my own for the grilled version. 

By processed oysters you mean those ones in a jar at the seafood counter?  I've walked by those a million times and always wondered if they would be remotely the same as fresh for something like this.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks so good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• KiterTodd
    Options
    poster said:

By processed oysters you mean those ones in a jar at the seafood counter?  I've walked by those a million times and always wondered if they would be remotely the same as fresh for something like this.
    It really is a toss-up and I'm not sure how to tell.  I have used them in the past in stews/gumbos and found them to be fine.  One time though my wife bought for me and they were closer to the expiration date (but not expired).  I added them to a gumbo I was serving for a party and found out they were awful.  They weren't rancid or unhealthy... they just didn't taste good.

What I have done, though, is buy oysters when they are in season and affordable. Roast a bunch, and then freeze what I don't eat.  Basically, I sit there at the table and just shuck into a container and pour the juice in as well. Then freeze it. Keeps well frozen in the fluid and was able to use later for oyster stew that was great.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Aubie1
    edited January 2020
    Options
    poster said:
    Aubie1 said:

Yes. Around here they are in pint or quart plastic containers. The pints will provide approximately two dozen and a quart four dozen. Walk away if the container is not iced or it is within a couple of days of expiration. Keep the container iced until the oysters are consumed. After a few purchases you will find a brand that provides a better product that you are looking for. Also, don't be afraid to add some of the liquid (or liquor as it is referred to) from the container to to oysters, prior to cooking. It only adds flavor.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wife buys canned oysters (Chicken of the sea) at Walmart. 24 cans at a time.  Makes oyster soup twice a week with them.  I cook my dinner on the egg those nights, as the smell is terrible of those things simmering on the stove.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Wife buys canned oysters (Chicken of the sea) at Walmart. 24 cans at a time.  Makes oyster soup twice a week with them.  I cook my dinner on the egg those nights, as the smell is terrible of those things simmering on the stove.
    :lol:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks good. 

I love oysters, but recently, they don’t seem to love me. Upon eating them, I get a debilitating stomach ache. Luckily, no additional symptoms. 

Many years ago, I hit up THE local, high end seafood place with chef friend of mine. One of the (raw) oysters I ate was literally as big as a steak. Had to cut it with a knife and fork. A little off putting, TBH.