Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Half-Cow freezer space?

Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 9,322
Ok, so a deal fell into my lap.  Short version, getting 1/2 a cow for $1/lb.  Was told cows yield about 40% of their hoof weight.  So 1/2 a ~1400lb cow gets around 300/lbs meat.

I left my upright freezer at my old house and need a new one.  About how big a freezer do I need?
If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM

Comments

• dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,515
    Too much math.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 13,977
    Paging @20stone and @SGH ;
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 13,977
    Hats off to you Ozzie, by the way, for using a half cow as an excuse to buy a new upright freezer.  
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• jabamjabam Posts: 1,829
    I get 1/2 beef every 6 months from my work.  Anything over 10 cu ft will be plenty of space  
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 911
    Are you paying $1pp for 1/2 of the hoof weight or the final finished weight? 
  • CTMikeCTMike Posts: 2,002
    I recently picked up and half, and it took this much space in a 15 ft3 upright:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 9,322
    Woodchunk said:
    finished weight :)

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 1,451
    That’s a good price! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 911
    Woodchunk said:
    finished weight :)
    Wow, Eggcellent deal
    CTMike said:
    I recently picked up and half, and it took this much space in a 15 ft3 upright:

Perfect, exactly the pic I was looking for.  Thank you.

edited January 7
    That’s a good price! 
    Woodchunk said:
    Wow, Eggcellent deal
    This was a case of better lucky than good.  A friend of mine was paid with a cow.  They didn't need the whole cow, so they offered me the other half for $1/lb.  I actually agreed to the half before they told me the price.

• That’s a steal!  The best I find with local grain fed Angus is $1.90 lb hanging weight.  The locker charges a $55 slaughter fee, and $0.65/lb to process, cut , wrap, and freeze.

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 1,451
     See if they can vacuum seal it too. The bags of burger tend to make a mess when thawing 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,018
    In the words of the immortal @lousubcap.  The freakin' cow drives the freezer space.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Matt86mMatt86m Posts: 180
    Good,,,,that's a damn great price!!!!!
    Cows eat grass therefore I am Vegan
    IG -->  matt_86m
  • ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,798
    It'll probably be 36%, but 40% is a safe guess. You figure 40% is lost as skin and guts, then 40% loss as bones and trimmings. $1/pound processed is a really good price. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.