Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Brisket

Options

Packer sectioned up, slathered with mustard and salt and pepper, then sous vided for 28 hours. Pulled from the bath and then smoked with hickory for 4 hours.  

Sliced and served on brioche buns with vidalia onions, homemade dill pickles and barbecue sauce. 

Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Looks Great !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very cool.  How do you compare it to a straight smoked one?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hard to say, as this packer was literally in my freezer for years before use. Probably quite similar overall. I like bark, and the short period on the Egg didn’t allow much to develop. 

The thing I like about the sous vide is it negates the need for an overnight cook and allows one great control over timing. Guests for brisket at 6pm? Sous vide starting at noon the previous day and then simply smoke 3-4 hours the day of and then let rest. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I did one a few weeks ago was very pleased ... was able to keep it whole but agressivly trimmed .....I did do a 3 hour smoke Before the bath
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hard to say, as this packer was literally in my freezer for years before use. Probably quite similar overall. I like bark, and the short period on the Egg didn’t allow much to develop. 

The thing I like about the sous vide is it negates the need for an overnight cook and allows one great control over timing. Guests for brisket at 6pm? Sous vide starting at noon the previous day and then simply smoke 3-4 hours the day of and then let rest. 
    When I do bbq style or pastrami Sv brisket I ice shock the brisket out of the bath, then rub it up and smoke until the bark forms. Starting with a very cold brisket gives you more time in the smoke and more time for the bark to form. 
    Pretty much the ChefSteps technique, always results in great brisket. ChefSteps uses a glaze with liquid smoke that is not overbearing and as CenTex says, the chill gives a little longer for the smoke to work, even a nice ring. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I have gone down many slippery slopes thanks to this forum but I can honestly say I will not go down the SV road with a brisket.  I am fully able to acknowledge that I may be missing out on one of the finer things in life but I am good with that.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have gone down many slippery slopes thanks to this forum but I can honestly say I will not go down the SV road with a brisket.  I am fully able to acknowledge that I may be missing out on one of the finer things in life but I am good with that.  ;)
    You aren't missing anything. I’ll never do it again for bbq style but it’s amazing for pastrami. Had to try it once. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX