Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Conspiracy Theories

Options

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Get well @SGH bourbon will help you feel better, not sure it will cure you.... =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    DMW said:
    Avenatti is one of the worst grifters out there. If Dems nominate him to run against Trump in 2020, it will truly be a reflection of the worst of us on both sides.
    I agree, but really don’t think he’s going to get any traction.  Then again, I didn’t think people would be dumb enough to vote for Trump.
    Perhaps you have forgotten the other option??  =)
    I don’t think she was running against him in the Republican primaries.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    In AC/DC voice

hes got the biggest balls of them all
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    "Laughable. Doesn’t pass even the smell test let alone the eye test "

I don't think I've ever seen a better demonstration of bias.  Basically says "It doesn't fit with my beliefs, therefore I reject it".  

I'm not saying that the graphic that was presented that led to that comment was correct or accurate.  I'm saying that when I see a graphic - or news story - that doesn't fit with my belief I deliberately work to overcome my biases and open my mind.  If it's a topic that seems to be worth my time to investigate it, I do so.  I try to find other factual data/information that either confirms or rejects the information that led me to look into the topic.  Most of the time I learn something.  

If I don't have time or inclination to investigate, I still try to remember that "Hmmm.  My thoughts on this topic may not be a correct as I thought.  I need to keep my eyes/mind open going forward."

But to just reject something because it doesn't fit one's preconceived beliefs is the very definition of bias.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "Laughable. Doesn’t pass even the smell test let alone the eye test "

I don't think I've ever seen a better demonstration of bias.  Basically says "It doesn't fit with my beliefs, therefore I reject it".  

I'm not saying that the graphic that was presented that led to that comment was correct or accurate.  I'm saying that when I see a graphic - or news story - that doesn't fit with my belief I deliberately work to overcome my biases and open my mind.  If it's a topic that seems to be worth my time to investigate it, I do so.  I try to find other factual data/information that either confirms or rejects the information that led me to look into the topic.  Most of the time I learn something.  

If I don't have time or inclination to investigate, I still try to remember that "Hmmm.  My thoughts on this topic may not be a correct as I thought.  I need to keep my eyes/mind open going forward."

But to just reject something because it doesn't fit one's preconceived beliefs is the very definition of bias.  
    Good luck to ya.

I rejected it because it is blatantly ridiculous. Some things don’t required a full blown case study chief. LOL!

Never said I wasn’t biased, we all are unless you are a rock. I just suggest there is an active effort to deceive the public by the MSM. They are as far left as Hannity is right, generally speaking. There are exceptions. Few. 

Why dont one you do some in depth research into the chart and let me know what you find. LOL. I’ll continue to live a normal and healthy life free of utter nonsensical exercises. As I said earlier, good luck with that. 😂
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pete, just so you know, I feel sorry for you.  Best of luck, NOLA.
    Options
    Pete, just so you know, I feel sorry for you.  Best of luck, NOLA.
    Thanks Carey. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Not exactly a conspiracy theory, but worth mentioning here and before Tuesday.

The insurer for Utah's state employees is now flying them to Tijuana to buy expensive cancer drugs in Mexico, to save money:
    https://www.sltrib.com/ne…/2018/…/28/fight-high-drug-prices/

Folks, make sure to find out which of your representatives are financed by Big Pharma, and vote appropriately, this Tuesday. Thanks!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Trump is elected.  The economy is not only “good”, it’s roaring!  What’s a liberal to do?

Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Trump is elected.  The economy is not only “good”, it’s roaring!  What’s a liberal to do?

Just point out the obvious:

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Obama and lapdog liberals (cough, JIC, cough, cough) trying to claim credit for Obama for the robust economy is absurd.  I’m sorry buddy, Emperor Obama has no clothes or credibility!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I may have posted this one before, but I feel it is appropriate here. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • pgprescott
    Options

Just point out the obvious:

Please transpose the labor participation rate over this graph. 

Next. 

Has growth exceeded 2%?  The geniuses all told us that was the ceiling and unlikely to even achieve that number. I’m sure glad he wasn’t a liar like this new guy. Now we have MSM (some) trying to sell 3.5 as a slow down and disappointing. 😂 

to be honest it was easy for the current guys as all they had to do was remove the ball gags the former eloquent speech giver installed over the hungry mouth of the American economy. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Pete refers to everyone he doesn’t like as a “genius”.  Not sure what that’s about.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Pete refers to everyone he doesn’t like as a “genius”.  Not sure what that’s about.  
    How bout that labor participation Chart???

no???

• pgprescott
    Options
    To be clear, I was not referring to you or anyone on this forum either. Certainly not directly. Someone might transfer this comment in to themselves, but that’s on them. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Obama and lapdog liberals (cough, JIC, cough, cough) trying to claim credit for Obama for the robust economy is absurd.  I’m sorry buddy, Emperor Obama has no clothes or credibility!
    Facts are facts, Fred.  (thanks John for the link, I couldn't find the one I had saved).  Growth in the stock market followed a near-identical trend, although that doesn't necessarily benefit the poor or even some middle-class.  
    A great American President (Reagan) once pointed out that the American Economy is a big ship, it takes awhile to turn Her around.  Dolt45's ridiculous trade war is now starting to take effect (Harley already moved some operations overseas, costs this christmas season of chinese-made items (ie most of them) will be up, and soybean, wheat farmers/orange growers are staring bankruptcy in the face (although Dolt's call last week to China may result in reduction/lifting of the trade war, we'll see).  Let's see how the economy, and the stock market, are doing in say, February.  
    Most economists agree that the Obama/Yellen reduction of the fed rate is largely responsible for the US recovering from the Crash faster than any other country (save China).  

But those are just facts, you may believe as you wish.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    jabam said:
    I may have posted this one before, but I feel it is appropriate here. 
    My favorite quote of his. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Botch said:
    Facts are facts, Fred.  (thanks John for the link, I couldn't find the one I had saved).  Growth in the stock market followed a near-identical trend, although that doesn't necessarily benefit the poor or even some middle-class.  
    A great American President (Reagan) once pointed out that the American Economy is a big ship, it takes awhile to turn Her around.  Dolt45's ridiculous trade war is now starting to take effect (Harley already moved some operations overseas, costs this christmas season of chinese-made items (ie most of them) will be up, and soybean, wheat farmers/orange growers are staring bankruptcy in the face (although Dolt's call last week to China may result in reduction/lifting of the trade war, we'll see).  Let's see how the economy, and the stock market, are doing in say, February.  
    Most economists agree that the Obama/Yellen reduction of the fed rate is largely responsible for the US recovering from the Crash faster than any other country (save China).  

But those are just facts, you may believe as you wish.  
    Are you suggesting Obama directed Fed policy? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Pondering what makes the current rate more notable than its variance over the last 20 years in particular.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Pondering what makes the current rate more notable than its variance over the last 20 years in particular.

Point being the previous employment chart was bunk. The statistic is artificially skewed because the participation rate dramatically dropped which artificially lowered the unemployment rate. This is fairly common knowledge but not commonly reported. Your chart doesn’t show the rise in participation correlated with the continued lowering of the unemployment rate. Even you must admit, very impressive data.

Charts are just exhibits if not accompanied by some broad analysis. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    A single administration can in no way have material impact on our economy in less than two years. This ship is much bigger than that. 

But, it can set it up for a recession or crash. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    A single administration can in no way have material impact on our economy in less than two years. This ship is much bigger than that. 

I disagree to a point. Big Ron brought us the “Glory Days” and done it in record time. As much as it pains me to say this, Slick Willie got the economy jumping. And now God himself (Donald Trump) certainly has it high balling. 
    With that said, why didn’t it boom under Carter, the Bushes or Obingo? To me it’s not always a Republican vs Democrap debate. The Bushes (Republicans) sucked. Slick Willie (Democrap) did a good job. Carter (Democrap) sucked. Trump (Republican/God) has set a new Gold Standard. 
    With all that said, I do believe one man can make a huge difference. Even if he is a Democrap. Slick Willie proved it.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    DMW said:

We just saw it happen. The worst part is that it was this guy. A brutish inelegant loudmouth bully. As I stated earlier, it was easy and he knew it would be because the previous administration so badly choked the economy off they merely had to relieve the barriers and the real plus speculative results spewed forward. Remember all the pent up capital sitting on the sidelines during the last admin? Do you think that was an accident? It was a result of terrible policy. 

You just saw saw it happen and you choose to deny it because of your animosity towards a bully.  
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    the previous administration so badly choked the economy off they merely had to relieve the barriers and the real plus speculative results spewed forward. Remember all the pent up capital sitting on the sidelines during the last admin? 
    Come on Pete.  

Its ok to have a disagreement about policy, but try to stay factual. Economic growth has been great for a decade. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    One thing to notice on that chart is how the rate starts to increase around 1970.  Or about when women started to enter the work market. That starts the beginning of the end of one salary supporting a family as the typical situation. My Dad made around $40,000.00 in the early 1980s. Nation wide I believe that the average is in the low to mide 50s , in today’s inflated currency that is.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    the previous administration so badly choked the economy off they merely had to relieve the barriers and the real plus speculative results spewed forward. Remember all the pent up capital sitting on the sidelines during the last admin? 
    Come on Pete.  

Its ok to have a disagreement about policy, but try to stay factual. Economic growth has been great for a decade. 

That’s the stock market right? It’s not exactly the same thing as jobs and such. I know I’m not the smartest guy, but I ain’t the dumbest either. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SGH maybe it is worth examining Bills effect on the economy before and after the elections of 1994 and 1996. Cutting the military by over 40% also gave him some cash to play with as did the welfare reforms that he passed using a Republican Congress. Now I admit that the cuts to the military begain under Bush I.