Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb ribs on the foster cooker...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
Looked like a beautiful day was in the offing...

Even  more beautiful when I found out I didn’t have to go to work in the morning :)

so I decided to take the foster cooker for a spin.

New opportunities took @20stone to lands far away from Houston. We worked out a foster care arrangement for his KBQ,  amid the carnage that was the fire sale to get rid of all of his stuff prior to him moving. 

Lamb ribs and a 6lb prime brisketlet just happened to be sitting in the fridge. Toasted some spices for the lamb (kosher salt, gochugaru, cumin seed, fennel seed, coriander). 

Some coarse grinding later, sprinkled it on the lamb. Seasoned the brisky with JH Mojave Garlic Pepper and loaded the dishwasher up. Fired with oak. 

A few few hours of wrestling with pool pump repairs later, the lamb was done. The aroma of woodsmoke in the yard kept me going. 

Tender as fvck. Killer bark. The rub was spot on (there’s a reason it’s my fav for lamb). 

Sliced a couple and ate  a late lunch  standing in the kitchen. Don’t need no stinkin’ sides!

(Yes, there’s a big gob of fat in the middle, so I ate around it). A lot left over. I’m about to get silly with some tacos in the morning. 

And that cute lil brisky is still going. It’s wrapped and chugging along.  More on that later. 

Lastly, a big shout out, with much love and respect , to the actual  foster parents and families out there. I am forever in awe of how these folks open their hearts and homes to kids who can’t be sustained in the homes they were born into. I come across many who take in kids with medical complications, and it’s not easy by any stretch. More power to them. 

Peace. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Looks fantastic @caliking.  What is the fifth spice in that picture? 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    Options
    Fennel. Sorry forgot to include it in the description. 

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I think we are all guilty of making a meal of meat and no sides @caliking, and you can't go wrong with lamb ribs.  They are delicious.  That's an interesting smoker.  What do you think of it compared to the BGE?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. I have room to foster the dishwasher if you get tired of it...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You are killing it man.  Killing it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Options
    smokingal said:
    I think we are all guilty of making a meal of meat and no sides @caliking, and you can't go wrong with lamb ribs.  They are delicious.  That's an interesting smoker.  What do you think of it compared to the BGE?
    It's a Karubecue KBQ C-60 (affectionately dubbed The Dishwasher by forum denizens. Here's a review:
    https://amazingribs.com/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit-review

A few folks here have one, and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Very different beast than the BGE, and is more like an offset in that its wood-fired. 

I've had the pleasure of eating some awesome eats off a KBQ, courtesy of @The Cen-Tex Smoker and @20stone, and have been lusting after one for some time. But I have a 4yo hurricane on the premises, so I'm going to wait a bit to get one for myself :)

And yes, lamb ribs are delicious! Not sure why, but I only seem to make them 1-2 times in a year. I need to rectify that.   

• caliking
    edited October 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You are killing it man.  Killing it.
    Thanks, Brent. Just having some fun,  while filling the time between day beers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That looks like an awesome day well
    spent to me! Glad you took the dishwasher out for a spin. Was trying to get to
    mine today but had to put it off until
    tomorrow am. They are fun and the smell of hardwood smoke while out putzing around in the yard is hard to beat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited October 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Fennel. Sorry forgot to include it in the description. 
    Thx - and brilliant cook!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    Options
    That looks like an awesome day well
    spent to me! Glad you took the dishwasher out for a spin. Was trying to get to
    mine today but had to put it off until
    tomorrow am. They are fun and the smell of hardwood smoke while out putzing around in the yard is hard to beat. 
    For sure! I was starting to go a little nuts trying to get PVC pipes to line and fit the right way, and the wonderful aroma kept me sane. 

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    @caliking the rest of us should just get participation trophies and a safe space.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Stealing that rub recipe fo sho!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Wish I had easy access to lamb ribs-what a treat.  Congrats on the cook and stand-alone banquet.  Time for a brisketlet update. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Stealing that rub recipe fo sho!
    It was very simple.

Coriander seed 2 TBSP
    Cumin seed      2 TBSP
    Fennel              1 TBSP  (could have upped it to 2 TBSP)
    Gochugaru        1 TBSP
    Salt, kosher      1 TBSP

- Toast in a skillet, until spices are aromatic. Be careful to not burn them.
    - Cool
    - Coarse grind

Gochugaru is a coarse ground Korean mix of red chiles and a bit of salt. You could use any dried red chiles. Just them in the pan with the other stuff, then grind. 

• caliking
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook right there.  Wish I had easy access to lamb ribs-what a treat.  Congrats on the cook and stand-alone banquet.  Time for a brisketlet update. 
    For some reason, these are labelled "lamb chest" at the Mexican supermarket where I buy them. Maybe check at a similar store in your area?

The brisketlet started and ended as an afterthought. Flat was a tad dry for my liking, but the point was good. Good bark too. The smoke flavor was wonderful though!

I was dog tired by the time it was done, and just nibbled on a piece before letting it cool and refrigerating it. Not nearly as good as the lamb ribs, and for some reason I didn't like the rub on it as much as I usually do. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Nice !!! Struggle to find whole spices for some reason .... Nice Cook right there !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Killer cook but I'm not surprised. Dishwasher is really intriguing, love it. Bookmarked, thanks!
    canuckland
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    very cool cook
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    That bark looks freaking amazing. /drooling
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• caliking
    Options
    Killer cook but I'm not surprised. Dishwasher is really intriguing, love it. Bookmarked, thanks!
    Thanks, Gary. The KBQ cranks out awesome grub, and there has been a KBQ sized hole in my heart for a while. Its just not the right time for me to have  a wood-smoker. 

@stormbringer - the bark was truly amazing. Wood smoke does magical things. Its hard to replicate that on the egg or other charcoal cookers.