Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    @1911Man that’s a beaut. Enjoy
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • That's a beauty! Nice color choice! Congrats!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Well I didn't "buy" that much, I have a buddy at Samsung that donated the monitors but I did buy a couple of Nvidia cards to run the home office

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well I didn't "buy" that much, I have a buddy at Samsung that donated the monitors but I did buy a couple of Nvidia cards to run the home office

You could replace all that with 2 4K monitors.   I went that route and it's infinitely better in a myriad of ways.
    Day trader, money manager?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    @Jstroke @BGEChicago Thanks... I had a brief thought about waiting to get the same red I had before (Cajun red) but then I thought about the color of this truck (and looked at the pics I took some more) and decided to go for it. I found out tonight, when I picked it up, that the financing interest rate is about 42% of what the financing on my 15 Silverado was. It was about 36% lower than what my last refinance offer was on the old truck. Glad I went to the dealership I did (same one as the previous truck) and had them go through the effort to get that lined up. Not to mention the extra items they threw in due to both this being my second truck from them, and NOT being a skin flint. ;)
    Now I just need to figure out how to get all the settings to where I want them on it.
    Plan to enjoy it for the next 10 years. Oh and I found out about the different driving modes (includes touring and sport). I can see having fun with those.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Well I didn't "buy" that much, I have a buddy at Samsung that donated the monitors but I did buy a couple of Nvidia cards to run the home office

You could replace all that with 2 4K monitors.   I went that route and it's infinitely better in a myriad of ways.
    Care to provide any details? I'm planning a home office build.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • nolaegghead
    Well I didn't "buy" that much, I have a buddy at Samsung that donated the monitors but I did buy a couple of Nvidia cards to run the home office

Sure.  Typically we've evolved into using 1080p monitors.  That's 1920x1080 pixel resolution.  To take advantage of that, you want a monitor that's around 24" diagonal.

So in the picture above, we have 8 of those. 

A 4k monitor is 3840x2160 - it's basically 4 of those monitors in a square grid.

Image result for 4k monitor desktop setups

To take advantage of this, unless you have extraordinary eyesight, you need a 4k monitor that's at least 40 inches (what I have) but a better solution is 48-49 inches diagonal.

You run it at 4k resolution.  Gives you the same pixel res as 4 1080p monitors, except you only have one cable and don't have the black bezels and complicated series of monitor stands.

I run mine as one big desk top, but you can buy software that lets you turn it into partitions, such as quadrants, and apps snap into those partitions.  Guy I work with is running a 49" 4k and he runs this software.

The video on my 2013 MBP runs 4k natively from the hdmi port, nothing was needed.  If you run 2 4k monitors, you'll need the GPU horsepower, but there are many solutions for that, and it will always be easier than running 8 hdmi cables.

Any 4k TV is also a monitor.  Actually, all modern TVs are monitors, just with tuners built in.  You'll just never use the tuner.  Or maybe you will.
    I've tried using a big a$$ monitor (40"+) and didn't like it. Perhaps it was just me but my eyeballs/neck didn't enjoy the larger vertical heaight one has to move to scan a monitor that size. Side-to-side was not any bother, just the vertical.
    Leaned back in my chair the big a$$ monitor was fine but most of the time I'm sitting up straight.
    Dell makes one of these:
    49" wide (5120 x 1440 ) but the vertical height is no more than my 27" iMac so my neck/eyeballs should be happy. I haven't seen one of these in person but am considering one. Waiting to see what the new Mac Pro that Apple will be announcing any day now is like.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:
    I've tried using a big a$$ monitor (40"+) and didn't like it. Perhaps it was just me but my eyeballs/neck didn't enjoy the larger vertical heaight one has to move to scan a monitor that size. Side-to-side was not any bother, just the vertical.
    Leaned back in my chair the big a$$ monitor was fine but most of the time I'm sitting up straight.
    Dell makes one of these:
    49" wide (5120 x 1440 ) but the vertical height is no more than my 27" iMac so my neck/eyeballs should be happy. I haven't seen one of these in person but am considering one. Waiting to see what the new Mac Pro that Apple will be announcing any day now is like.

Well, then you wouldn't like the multiple monitor matrix either.  The amount of physical area is either something you need or don't.  My contention is the monitor matrix is old-school and should just be replaced with very large, very high definition monitors. 

Those super-wide computer monitors are ridiculously expensive.  A 49" 4K monitor can be purchased for under $400.

Sure.  Typically we've evolved into using 1080p monitors.  That's 1920x1080 pixel resolution.  To take advantage of that, you want a monitor that's around 24" diagonal.

So in the picture above, we have 8 of those. 

A 4k monitor is 3840x2160 - it's basically 4 of those monitors in a square grid.

Image result for 4k monitor desktop setups

To take advantage of this, unless you have extraordinary eyesight, you need a 4k monitor that's at least 40 inches (what I have) but a better solution is 48-49 inches diagonal.

You run it at 4k resolution.  Gives you the same pixel res as 4 1080p monitors, except you only have one cable and don't have the black bezels and complicated series of monitor stands.

I run mine as one big desk top, but you can buy software that lets you turn it into partitions, such as quadrants, and apps snap into those partitions.  Guy I work with is running a 49" 4k and he runs this software.

The video on my 2013 MBP runs 4k natively from the hdmi port, nothing was needed.  If you run 2 4k monitors, you'll need the GPU horsepower, but there are many solutions for that, and it will always be easier than running 8 hdmi cables.

Any 4k TV is also a monitor.  Actually, all modern TVs are monitors, just with tuners built in.  You'll just never use the tuner.  Or maybe you will.
    What's the software?
  • nolaegghead
    @eoin There's a number of software solutions.  I don't use them, but I know someone who does.

Here's an example:

And with the matrix of small monitors, you don't have this flexibility.

@eoin There's a number of software solutions.  I don't use them, but I know someone who does.

Here's an example:

And with the matrix of small monitors, you don't have this flexibility.

Thanks, I've asked my IT guy.  My desktop only has 1 x HDMI, so I have 1 monitor on low res on a standard monitor cable.  This would be better anyway, closer together and 4 way split possible.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    HeavyG said:
    Dell makes one of these:

Well, then you wouldn't like the multiple monitor matrix either.  The amount of physical area is either something you need or don't.  My contention is the monitor matrix is old-school and should just be replaced with very large, very high definition monitors. 

Those super-wide computer monitors are ridiculously expensive.  A 49" 4K monitor can be purchased for under $400.
    You're right - I don't like a multiple monitor matrix for the exact same reason - vertical height.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    40" 4k.  Home office.  I have the exact same monitor at work.
    edited January 2019
    A Shun Classic 6 1/2 inch Nikata through Amazon. Should be here Friday.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FR2YWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correction on the name.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    Just took advantage of the All-Clad factory 2nds sale on an 8qrt steamer insert and a 2/3qrt TK sauce pan. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    SonVolt said:
    Just took advantage of the All-Clad factory 2nds sale on an 8qrt steamer insert and a 2/3qrt TK sauce pan. 
    Let us know what it looks like, I get those emails all the time. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    1911Man said:
    Bought to take over for the Lyman drop on my oldest press turret. Getting ready to order a Pro Chucker 5 within the next couple of months.
    Nice, going to be back at hand loading soon myself. My fave is my Colt 1911 officers model. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    I don't know anything about hand loading ammo....for common stuff, like 9mm luger, is it really cheaper?  I can't imagine you are going to care about making a 9mm more accurate....

Looked it up.  You can get 9mm for $0.16/round.

I can understand it for hard to find calibers or where the ammunition is very expensive and you can reuse the casings. 

Also, seems like most catastrophic weapon failures are from people putting to hot a charge in the casings. 

Just got some hose end spray southern weed killer.  The clovers have taken over this year. Our yorkie loves it.  It’s his own personal crop maze. 
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Looking at pulling the trigger on a 2019 f 150 king ranch, to replace my current 2013 same model truck.  I’m due for tires and a 100k mile service on my current truck, which would cost ~4k total, or I can trade in my current one with positive equity and no money out pocket.  No truck payment sure has been nice.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    I don't know anything about hand loading ammo....for common stuff, like 9mm luger, is it really cheaper?  I can't imagine you are going to care about making a 9mm more accurate....
    Looked it up.  You can get 9mm for $0.16/round.
    I can understand it for hard to find calibers or where the ammunition is very expensive and you can reuse the casings. 
    Also, seems like most catastrophic weapon failures are from people putting to hot a charge in the casings. 

For 45ACP it's pretty easy to get good economics by reloading. Plus, you don't need to visit a store when you're getting low (provided you keep a decent inventory of needed components). Plus you can tune the load to meet your wishes easily. Many people go for lighter powder charges in order to reduce recoil. Or go with the higher end of the range (plenty of documented good recipes to use) such as for when you have a comp on a pistol.
    I'm also set up for three rifle calibers (223, 300 Blackout, and 308 Winchester). With rifle calibers it's also about getting more consistent ammo than you'll often get from a factory. Well, without paying a high amount for that ammo. You can also tune those rounds to fit your specific rifle.
    I knew plenty of people that reloaded when shooting competitions. When you're burning through 200-400 rounds in a day, it makes a lot of sense to reload. You also keep reusing pistol cases until they split. Rifle is a little more involved, but you can reload them many times before you need to get more. I have a solid supply on hand for 223, 45ACP and getting a decent supply for 308 Winchester. 300 Blackout (7.62x35mm) can be made from 223 cases.
    A case trimmer (for the rifle rounds) is also on my fairly short list of things to get. I'll probably get one of the 'station' items that also remove crimps from the primer pocket (common in military brass like 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO).
    Another common reason to reload is how short supply seems to get around every election in recent cycles. To the point where many of us will make sure we have enough supplies to make several thousand rounds before those start up again. More because there's too many panic buys going on which wipe out store shelves as well as the distributors supplies while the factories play "catch-up".
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • I reload 45-70, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt.  But I have dies for about everything I own.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I picked up 8 new Victorinox meat knives today to replace some that have been worn out. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    7” shoulder knife.  

6” curved semi-stiff boning knife. 

6”curved semi-flexible boning knife. 

5” curved semi-flexible boning knife. 

5” beef skinner. 

6” curved, stiff blade.  

6” straight, wide, stiff boning knife. 

4” straight, semi-flexible, finish/trim knife. 

Ceramic tune up kit for in process blade touch up. 

The cleaver. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    LDR said:

Drool...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    A Shun Classic 6 1/2 inch Nikata through Amazon. Should be here Friday.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FR2YWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correction on the name.
    Nice.  I have the premier one and love it.  Great knife.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL