Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• @Botch Will do. The girls are free range the coup is a chicken tractor.  The door consists of a electric door opener, a battery, solar panel to charge it and light sensor for the door.
     https://chickendoors.com/?doing_wp_cron=1546869958.8499889373779296875000

A friend gave me the door, I upgraded to the light sensor and solar panel. it automatically opens 5 minutes after sunrise and closes 5 minutes after sunset 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    edited January 2019
    @Botch Will do. The girls are free range the coup is a chicken tractor.  The door consists of a electric door opener, a battery, solar panel to charge it and light sensor for the door.

Wow, I had no idea such things existed!  (but, I had no idea I'd be checking my oil thru the Infotainment system on my own car, either).

What happens when a couple of the "teenage" cheekuns don't make it home by curfew, and the door closes 5 minutes after sunset?  Can they "knock" on the door to be let in?  Does Mr. Rooster then lecture them in the doorway, or send them to their room without Interpeck privileges?  Or do they have to sit outside, cowering in fear from roving coyotes?  Or even stomping buffalos?  

EDIT:  Oh, and what's a "chicken tractor"?  (besides the fact that it WBAGNFARB?)  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• All the girls are in before the door shuts. It does shut at sunset then opens for a minute and shut again, last call if you will. Chicken tractor = mobile coup. About once a week we drag it about 20 feet. Keeps the run from getting muddy and adds green spots to the yard.  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Botch said:
    @Botch Will do. The girls are free range the coup is a chicken tractor.  The door consists of a electric door opener, a battery, solar panel to charge it and light sensor for the door.

Wow, I had no idea such things existed!  (but, I had no idea I'd be checking my oil thru the Infotainment system on my own car, either).

What happens when a couple of the "teenage" cheekuns don't make it home by curfew, and the door closes 5 minutes after sunset?  Can they "knock" on the door to be let in?  Does Mr. Rooster then lecture them in the doorway, or send them to their room without Interpeck privileges?  Or do they have to sit outside, cowering in fear from roving coyotes?  Or even stomping buffalos?  

EDIT:  Oh, and what's a "chicken tractor"?  (besides the fact that it WBAGNFARB?)  
    @Botch A chicken will be on its roost before we call it dark. Their vision sees a different range of light wavelength than we see. To them, it is dark where we usually would call it late dusk. With that being said, many of these automatic doors have a "second chance" option where it will close as described, then 5 (or some other programmable number) minutes later, the door will open for 1-2 minutes, then close for good for the night. Only once has one of my birds missed the door. That was when one of those summer storms came in and it went from evening to black in literally 3 minutes, and that was about 30 minutes before sunset. So it got really dark, then never bright enough for it to open again. I do not have the "second chance" option enabled on mine.

A chicken tractor is a relatively easily moveable chicken coop. There are so many options to talk about, just google it and look at the pictures.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • @Botch I think this is the last year for this coup, you can see the strap I put around it as the base is starting to rot. I made it out of scrap wood about 5 years go. The blue was a addition from about 3 years ago ;-)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Replacement solar panel for the automatic chicken coup door. 
    Looked at them one time . Does it work well?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Works great, the company is small and sells parts if you need them. That door is probably 10 years old 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,690
    Will a crawfish stirrer fit in one @nolaegghead? Asking for a friend...
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Will a crawfish stirrer fit in one @nolaegghead? Asking for a friend...
    I hear he has the extreme double width model so prob not.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    I just picked up the BGE brand Woo extender. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    Moms Birthday so bought her CHEESE called "Harbison" from Jasper Hill Farms 

She loves cheese, and I just saw on Top Chef that tom colicchio said it is his fav cheese of all time . . hope I get to sample! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I'm at CES, Lots of cool stuff but it's mostly prototypes.  This is for sale though.. it has standard drink recipes and you can make your own modifications too.  According to the pitch below, if I have two drinks a day I somehow *make* money!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Buy it! Buy it!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    I might pick a couple of these up to keep in the truck bed. They'd come in super handy with groceries and keep loose items from rolling around when in need.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/62l-clevercrate-black-with-lid/prod21441632
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    If I enter LEO this evening, this may be tempting:

https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/cheese-lovers-rejoice-costco-selling-27-pound-mac-cheese-bucket

When I saw that the bucket is actually filled with individual sealed servings, at $0.50/serving for the $90 bucket, and they're good for 20 years, I stopped laughing so hard.  Hmmm.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    If I enter LEO this evening, this may be tempting:

https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/cheese-lovers-rejoice-costco-selling-27-pound-mac-cheese-bucket

When I saw that the bucket is actually filled with individual sealed servings, at $0.50/serving for the $90 bucket, and they're good for 20 years, I stopped laughing so hard.  Hmmm.  
    During the zombie apocalypse you're still gonna want to have some mac & cheese on hand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Shoe strings from Amazon. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,599
    Like @nolaegghead

I just bought a "whole house" surge suppressor.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,495
    Trading in the treadmill for a spin bike. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Beans
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    A new parka and 5 weeks of summer camp.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    edited January 2019
    Jstroke said:

Did the vendor give you a roast date? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    SonVolt said:
    Jstroke said:

Did the vendor give you a roast date? 
    I didn’t look. To be honest I have been buying it for the last 5-6 years. It’s always the same price from amazon. I have never had trouble. I can get local beans that are admittedly better, but twice the price. To me it’s a compromise I am willing to make.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SonVolt
    Yeah that stuff will produce crema like no other... even after a year sitting in my deep freezer.  I just don't like the burnt rubber taste that Italian robusta blends give. 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Bought to take over for the Lyman drop on my oldest press turret. Getting ready to order a Pro Chucker 5 within the next couple of months.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Beef ribs for this weekend.  Several great looking recent cooks got me craving some.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.