Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Pasta and a Surprise Visit

Options
Today has been a great day. I had the opportunity to meet @20stone and his wife today. They were passing through Coleman and stopped for a visit. Plans were initiated for a possible bread camp. Asado grills and roasted whole animals will probably also be involved. @caliking and @The Cen-Tex Smoker are co-conspirators they just don’t know about it yet. 

My daughter came home for a quick visit and wanted pasta. Who was I to disappoint?

We had some appetizers of meatballs in a romesco sauce. 

Here’s a progression of pics making the pasta:

I got my daughter in on some of the action. 

We did egg the chicken... We just failed to take pics.

Here’s the final plated product. 

Hope y’all have a great holiday weekend. Thanks for looking. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SciAggie You're posts are always fantastic.  That food looks great, and pics almost make me think I was there.

Phoenix 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    You make everything look so easy.
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    And delicious!
    Snellville, GA

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Another winner! Looks tremendous.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This thread looks like a Saveur pictorial. Outstanding, as usual. 

And YES on bread camp and roasting whole animals!! I’m currently the foster care provider for the asado X that was fabricated for BC4, so I do expect to be invited :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    B!itching!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Y’all are too generous with your comments. Pasta is quite easy to make when you have the time to deal with it. If anyone is interested here’s a good link for how to make it:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/best-easy-all-purpose-fresh-pasta-dough-recipe-instructions.html
    the sauce is a hodge-podge from several things I looked at - just mix cream, parmesan, bacon, and any other goodness together. How can that be wrong?

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    This thread looks like a Saveur pictorial. Outstanding, as usual. 

And YES on bread camp and roasting whole animals!! I’m currently the foster care provider for the asado X that was fabricated for BC4, so I do expect to be invited :)
    We just have to coordinate a good weekend...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Always a great cook and documentation.  Quite a skill set for sure.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Clearly we mistimed our flyby. I won’t make that mistake twice. 

Next time I will drop off some guanciale, which will do quite nicely in that bowl. 

Great cook, as always. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone Yes, I honestly felt bad about the timing. It would have been great to share a meal. That gives us a reason to meet again. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    props for a great looking cook.

I love that you don't cut corners - you are a purist.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dude, what the???  You are my hero!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @20stone looks like he’s lost a few stones. 

Great meal, too. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Down to 16.5 and holding steady so far. 

If if I lose much more, I may switch units to kg, though I haven’t been as small as 100 kg for over 30 years. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    20stone said:
    Down to 16.5 and holding steady so far. 

If if I lose much more, I may switch units to kg, though I haven’t been as small as 100 kg for over 30 years. 
    I’ve lost weight this year as well. Down 65 pounds or 4.6 stones according to Google.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’ve lost weight this year as well. Down 65 pounds or 4.6 stones according to Google.
    As bad as I hate to admit this, I’m down from 254 to a trim and ready 188. I don’t even look like myself anymore. 
    On a separate note, outstanding looking grub my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @SGH Thanks my friend. It seems quite a few folks around here have shed some weight. Congrats. We can still eat the good stuff - just not as much of it.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @SciAggie thanks for posting the pasta making link.  Fantastic tutorial. Pasta machine added to the Christmas list. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yup, I hate you a lil bit right now :smiley:
    Been a LONG time since I've made bread.  That's a get "get ready for hibernation" meal done right .
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Yup, I hate you a lil bit right now :smiley:
    Been a LONG time since I've made bread.  That's a get "get ready for hibernation" meal done right .
    It’s funny - I haven’t made much bread this summer. I’m ready to get back to baking now though. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @SciAggie thanks for posting the pasta making link.  Fantastic tutorial. Pasta machine added to the Christmas list. 

The step of resting the dough is really important - just fyi. Give yourself time. Otherwise making pasta is surprisingly simple. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Nice camera work!
    Gittin' there...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice work all around as usual.  Noodle drying rack has been on my to-make list forever  :)
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wonderful cook and photography - as always!

I had pasta last night. The fact that it was dried farfalle from a box was the least of it's problems. Looking at yours just made mine look that much worse.

I have a pasta machine though I've used it only a few times. Glad I didn't waste the effort on last night's fiasco. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Your food is always on point. Thank you for continuing to inspire me. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    First class all the way around! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's