Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Options
I've been making this for over a year now and today I realized that I haven't shared this on the forum yet so here ya go!
I start out with a whole 10lb + slab of pork belly fresh off the pig from a local processor.  I cut it in half and only cook around 5 lbs at a time which is perfect for my usual crowd of 8 people. I vacuum  seal and freeze the other half.   Sometimes I can find it at Sam's club already sliced but for today I went all in with a fresh half belly . 
First of all you need to trim the skin if there's any remaining on the pork belly.
Next slice into strips and cut into cubes about 1" to 1 1/2".
I put the cubes into a mixing bowl and add a dab of oilve oil and mix well before  I add my favorite bbq rub to help it stick a little better.  Add a comfortable amount of rub but make sure all cubes are well coated.  I don't use measurements for this step. 
Set the egg up for indirect @ 225° 
Smoke the cubes for 3 hours then check for desired bark. If you want more just leave it in longer. 3 hours  is perfect in my opinion. 
Once you've smoked the cubes pull them off the egg and place them in a disposable aluminum baking pan.
Add 1 cup of bbq sauce, 4 tbs of butter and 2 tbs of honey.
Cover the baking pan with foil and return to the egg for another 1 hour 30 min. 
Once complete you remove the foil and leave the burnt ends on the egg uncovered for an additional 15 min to thicken up the sauce . 
Remove and ENJOY!!!!

Comments