Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Last minute cook for........600

lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,297
edited August 15 in Off Topic
Well, not quite last minute. Fundraiser for a local high school ( my son is head coach for varsity, proud yes) we had planned on serving 150 tomorrow, test him last night they had sold 577....figured they must have liked it last year.

Little under 300 pounds boneless Chuck roll for Pit Beef, about 24 hour cook. Armenian Rice Pilaf, salad and a roll...and it's only 101 today

Visalia, Ca

Comments

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,818
    Dang. That’s a lot of grub. What cooker are you using? 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,367
    Ho Lee Fook! 

Post many pics so we can do hard work vicariously through you.  

Image result for eating popcorn gif

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 11,526
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks @DoubleEgger ; @nolaegghead ; its a Pits by Klose Trailer I got off CL a few years ago got a warming oven on opposite side burner up front sink,and grey storage 

I am tired just reading the post. Should be a great challenge. All the best!
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,572
    Well, I know where the corporate jet is taking me tomorrow!
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,297
    @northGAcock ; Wouldn't be so bad if it wasnt so flipping hot , all the while prepping for a Luau on Saturday for 300 complete with Whole Pig .. @HeavyG you have time to make Saturdays party 
    Visalia, Ca
  • 20stone20stone Posts: 1,676
    1/2 lb a person, you may be light ;-)

Sounds like a great time. 
    Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
    edited August 16
    20stone said:
    1/2 lb a person, you may be light ;-)

Sounds like a great time. 
    @20stone that's my usual go to and it's tight but I've made it work...there is usually an attrition rate IE people buy the tickets and don't go......but you are correct , one thing about chuck roll VS Brisket or Butt, not much Shrinkage ( insert George Castanza photo here )

Its a Drive Trough type serving as well, get present your ticket we give the plate , we put it together so there is no overserving
    Visalia, Ca
    Rice Pilaf Prepped 

Visalia, Ca
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,480
    Damn, I thought the "600" was a typo...
    More power to you!
    That's awesome
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,572
    lkapigian said:
    @northGAcock ; Wouldn't be so bad if it wasnt so flipping hot , all the while prepping for a Luau on Saturday for 300 complete with Whole Pig .. @HeavyG you have time to make Saturdays party 
    Ahh, it's on Saturday. I'll tell Jeeves I won't need him tomorrow so he can sleep in then.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
    edited August 16
    That's not bad smoke , just loaded well seasoned oak 

Visalia, Ca
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,367
    lkapigian said:

Damn earthquakes!

• DMWDMW Posts: 13,450
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
    lkapigian said:

Damn earthquakes!
    Ha drunken hands 
    Visalia, Ca
    DMW said:
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks @DMW
    Visalia, Ca
    All that in the warming oven 
    Visalia, Ca
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,544
    This is awesome!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnypjohnnyp Posts: 3,268
    Very cool. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,256
    Great project and skill set right there.  Congrats on the instant "scale-up" and bringing it home.  Enjoy the piggy cook party as well. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    edited August 16
    Now for the Pilaf, 20 pounds rice 4.5 pounds Vermicelli 96 cups ( liquid ) 3 pounds butter 1 jar BTB Chicken...i divide between 2 large roasting ovens

Melt butter and brown vermicelli 
    Add vermicelli to rice , stir to ensure all rice is coated with butter, preheat roasting oven to 375, dump on already boiling stock , cover and cook for 30 minutes ...

Visalia, Ca
    edited August 16

Perfect every time 

Visalia, Ca
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,894
    Outstanding.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

Thanks @Foghorn 500 in 90 minutes and still going 
    Visalia, Ca
    Just enough of everything ...6200 raised for a local high school ... no leftovers

Thanks for looking 
    Visalia, Ca
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 2,124
    That’s awesome! Hope you were able to save a little for yourself. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q
    Visalia, Ca
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,256
    Congrats on the effort, completion, delivery and the great fund-raiser. 
    You may want to take a couple of days off then plan for an ever bigger turn-out next year. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • NC_EggheadNC_Egghead Posts: 759
    Wow, that is just plain awesome! Great looking results and all for a great cause! Great job!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle