Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never Wrap

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    SGH said:
    After paper wrap
    Here is another. This one isn’t so great but it still shows that heavy bark can be obtained with paper. Hey, if we are going to show the good ones, might as well show the not so good ones as well. In no way is the paper responsible for the less than stellar look. The drunk cook is 100% to blame here. 

I would eat that drunk cook’s food any day of the week. 
    Just remember, he made NOLA puke with some nut cheese.  
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    SGH said:
    SonVolt said:
    Where do you guys buy your paper? 
    Brother Volt, here is an interesting and informative read on the authenticity of paper. If you have a minute, give it look. 

http://www.oren-intl.com/blog/3-ways-to-distinguish-true-peach-paper-from-the-substitutes
    Good point!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2018
    Options
    And here is the very nuts that made him puke. 

Just wish I would of been sober enough to got pics or video of him throwing his nuts, I mean guts up =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    well.. this has taken quite a turn. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I buy where Ay-Ayron Buys: http://www.abcopaper.com/
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    well.. this has taken quite a turn. 
    Just lookin out for ya. 
  • SGH
    Options
    That’s a reputable source as well. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options
    grussem said:
    Well, I tried hot and fast brisket for the first time (Myron Mixon method) and while the brisket was very tender, flavorful and moist, the wrapping absolutely ruined my bark just like I expected it would despite others saying it would be okay. Lesson learned, “shortcuts” come with consequenses. Never again
    Question if I may, did you actually wrap or roll the brisket in foil, or did you put the brisket in a pan and simply cover the pan with foil? I know you can argue the point that it’s wrapped either way, but I have a pretty good reason for asking.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    That’s a reputable source as well. 
    I can go pick it up too. Only downside is you have to buy a lifetime supply (but it's only $35 with a stand cutter so no big deal). 
  • SGH
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
     (but it's only $35 with a stand cutter so no big deal). 
    That’s a darn good deal for sure.  

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Sure is. Good thing I can't get deals like that around here, otherwise I'd be up to my ears in butcher paper and stand cutters.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Sure is. Good thing I can't get deals like that around here, otherwise I'd be up to my ears in butcher paper and stand cutters.
    you only have to buy the cutter once. It's like $25-$30 for 1000 feet of paper if I remember right (it's been 3 years and I still have 3 left). 
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    They use to have a 2,000 foot roll. I only see a 1,000 foot roll now. Did they discontinue the 2,000 footer?

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    They use to have a 2,000 foot roll. I only see a 1,000 foot roll now. Did they discontinue the 2,000 footer?
    If you are asking me, I don't know. I live in PA, not TX.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 2018
    Options

1000 footer (200 footer now) 
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    If you are asking me, I don't know. I live in PA, not TX.
    This is the current listing. They use to have one that was 2,000 foot.  
    http://eccos2.ubsys.com/abco2/catalogdetail.asp?id=OII-BPK18-10&formname=browse

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options

1000 footer
    I've got that exact stand cutter. But, I only have 18" rolls, not 24". I feel inadequate and now must have your long roll.  
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    I've got that exact stand cutter. But, I only have 18" rolls, not 24". I feel inadequate and now must have your long roll.  
    36” beee-yatch:) 
  • SGH
    Options
    My apologies fellows, I had a brain $hit. It was 2,000 square feet. Not length. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    Dangit, now I have to go measure my cutter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    Now I feel really inadequate. It's a 24" cutter with a 16" roll... 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    you can feel better- mine is 24” too. Thought it was bigger. Story of my life :lol:
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    you can feel better- mine is 24” too. Thought it was bigger. Story of my life :lol:
    It always seems bigger to the owner...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    **** swinging by proxy.  love it.
    Options
    Had I wrapped mine....my daughter would have been an only child!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

1000 footer
    Go buy a Corvette. I heard that helps. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    After paper wrap
    Here is another. This one isn’t so great but it still shows that heavy bark can be obtained with paper. Hey, if we are going to show the good ones, might as well show the not so good ones as well. In no way is the paper responsible for the less than stellar look. The drunk cook is 100% to blame here. 

I would eat that drunk cook’s food any day of the week. 

Anything involving puke, nuts and cheese sounds like a story worth telling, again... for us new members to enjoy. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Great price

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x-700-40-peach-treated-butcher-paper-roll/43324PEA.html

Here’s some info on treated butcher paper before anyone goes kray kray.  It’s a starch based product and larger sizes are NOT treated. 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/92/butcher-paper-faqs.html

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know where to get my butcher paper, when I use up my 1000+ ft roll, haha  :)

canuckland
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I know where to get my butcher paper, when I use up my 1000+ ft roll, haha  :)

I’d be cautious with that, I’ve heard they use horse hide to make that paper.

(in case you don’t remember the IKEA/horse meat debacle: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/25/horsemeat-scandal/1933037/)