Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never Wrap

Options
grussem
grussem Posts: 120
Well, I tried hot and fast brisket for the first time (Myron Mixon method) and while the brisket was very tender, flavorful and moist, the wrapping absolutely ruined my bark just like I expected it would despite others saying it would be okay. Lesson learned, “shortcuts” come with consequenses. Never again

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Paper?
    Options
    I wrap in Parchment all the time and still get a great bark.  Learned from the pit master at Martin's BBQ Joint in Nashville. 200 degree Egg temp, oak wood (bourbon barrel oak for great flavor). Smoke for 12 hours to temp around 160 or so.  Wrap in Parchment paper, back on the Egg at 225 for another 8-12 hours until probe goes in like buttah.  IT 195-210.  Perfect brisket every time, which was not the case when I tried other methods.

Options
    I use butcher paper and don’t have any problems, check out the enclosed for some good tips 

https://youtu.be/lnRRDSYgdmw
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Paper is still going to trap steam and moisture, so I'm not sure how that would be much different when it comes to dissolving bark.  You're not adding a bunch of liquid to the wrap are you? I always use foil and never have a problem losing bark except for the bottom of the cut.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I cooked a brisket yesterday with the Franklin BBQ method, wrapped in parchment at 185, pulled at 203.  It had great bark.  
    Franklin, TN
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Franklin comparison of wrapped in foil,!parchment or naked.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use butcher paper and don’t have any problems, check out the enclosed for some good tips 

SSQUAL612 said:
    Franklin comparison of wrapped in foil,!parchment or naked.

Ahem <<<<look up three>>>>  ;)

great minds think alike 
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Parchment always
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I only use Pink Butcher Paper a la Franklin. I will say it definitely can lean towards too moist sometimes. I've also done them unwrapped but they have a tendancy to dry out on the far end of the flat and I don't care for that too much.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Paper is still going to trap steam and moisture, so I'm not sure how that would be much different when it comes to dissolving bark.  You're not adding a bunch of liquid to the wrap are you? I always use foil and never have a problem losing bark except for the bottom of the cut.
    Steam, yes, standing liquid, much less likely than foil, where it is inevitable.
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ah ok. I haven't tried paper yet. I do get a good bit of standing liquid maybe 1/8" up the side, but that gets dumped into a pot of something usually. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jokerman49
    Options
    any ideas on how to deal with a 21" brisket when you have a large bge with an 18" cooking surface?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    any ideas on how to deal with a 21" brisket when you have a large bge with an 18" cooking surface?

2 ways. Put it over a rib rack until it shrinks enough to fit, or cut 3 inches off. Is the flat end really thin? If so its gonna burn up so cutting a bit off will probably leave you with a better end result anyways.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    There is only one option despite what others say.... get a second XL egg for such situations. It’s the economical choice. Just imagine the cost of throwing out 2” of prime brisket over a lifetime. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here’s a 16” brisket flat on a Small Egg arches over a metal bowl (wrapped in foil for easy cleanup).

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @jokerman49 welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    However, you get your protein into your BGE make sure to foil protect any sections that are outside your heat deflector.  And use an air-gapped drip pan for the renderings.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    After paper wrap

Right before i wrapped (below)

Bark holds up well with paper. Myron likes his barkless briksets so really does not care about maintaining the bark. I crutched one with foil this weekend and it seemed pretty crumbly. I didn’t eat it though so I’m not sure. I bagged it up and refrigerated it. Im assuming injecting, using a foil crutch, and a bag/Sous Vide finish will not be kind to the bark. We shall see. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2018
    Options
    After paper wrap
    Here is a couple of more that was wrapped in paper just to echo what you already said above. 

While some of them look better than the others, all were wrapped in paper and all of them at bare minimum had pretty good to real good bark. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Where do you guys buy your paper? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Amazon

• SGH
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    http://www.oren-intl.com/pink-butcher-paper

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Amazon
    Yep!

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Brother Volt, here is an interesting and informative read on the authenticity of paper. If you have a minute, give it look. 

http://www.oren-intl.com/blog/3-ways-to-distinguish-true-peach-paper-from-the-substitutes

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I bought my last roll at a commercial restaurant supply place (not RD) in San Antonio that sold to the public.  They had the best knife collection I'd ever seen.
    edited July 2018
    Options
    They had the best knife collection I'd ever seen.
    This is just a shot in the dark, did they have the Muhle R41 by chance?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    After paper wrap
    Here is another. This one isn’t so great but it still shows that heavy bark can be obtained with paper. Hey, if we are going to show the good ones, might as well show the not so good ones as well. In no way is the paper responsible for the less than stellar look. The drunk cook is 100% to blame here. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    After paper wrap
    Here is another. This one isn’t so great but it still shows that heavy bark can be obtained with paper. Hey, if we are going to show the good ones, might as well show the not so good ones as well. In no way is the paper responsible for the less than stellar look. The drunk cook is 100% to blame here. 

I would eat that drunk cook’s food any day of the week. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    After paper wrap

I remember that brisket. That was a dang fine brisket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Back at you brother Tex. 

DMW said:
    I remember that brisket. That was a dang fine brisket.
    Thank you brother D. I thought it tasted fine too. It just looked like heck i thought.  

Status- Standing by.