Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fennel Pollen

My copy of Tuffy Stone's newly released cookbook "Cool Smoke - The Art of Great BBQ" arrived yesterday and flipping thru it one of the things that caught my eye was his Fennel Pollen rub.

I've read about fennel pollen a few times over the years but never bothered to buy any and give it a try. Everything I've read about it says that a little goes a long way. His recipe calls for 8 teaspoons which on one hand is only about 10% by volume of the recipe, on the other hand that still sounds like a lot to me.

I've ordered a 1 ounce tin ($15) and am curious to see how many teaspoons that equals and if I'll have much pollen left after making a batch of this.

I'll trust Tuffy's judgement and make the first batch as listed (tho I might knock back the salt a bit) but was wondering if anyone that has used fennel pollen before thought 8 teaspoons seems like too much/too little/just right.

Cheers!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I have used toasted whole fennel seeds (and then ground) as a sub, based on internet wisdom, and really, really like the aroma.  I’d love to hear how the pollen works out. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    A friend that is a charcuterie genius gave me some toscano salami made with fennel pollen - it was extraordinary.  Will be eager to hear how your rub turns out.
  • I'm way late into the game on this thread.  I've been using fennel in many forms for years.   Fennel pollen goes a long long way with just a little.  I've used it as a dust over finished dishes... amazing flavor.  Fresh from the plant.  The dust is a golden yellow.

Also,  pickled the new seed pods, after the flower has fallen, in rice vinegar with a touch of honey to use in some seafood recipes. The vinegar can also be used in sauces.   This will sound crazy,  but pickled fennel seed pod on an raw oyster... great flavor profile. 

Best to just grow a fennel plant... they are ready to grow and you can harvest what you want.   
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Interesting.   I'll have to pick some up.  Pollen is basically plant jizz, fennel pollen is fennel jizz.  I ain't skerd.
    I'm too cheap to buy fennel pollen. Been using ground fennel seeds for almost 20 years after Mario Batali recommended them as an alternative. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave