Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let’s talk snakes for a minute...

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
was trimming my fig ivy yesterday and witnessed a snake slather between the stones in the corner of the picture below

i had seen on occasion my dogs paying close attention on other occasions, but thought they were chasing the usual lizard which mesmerizes them. The snake (what little I saw) was slightly thicker than a pencil...but I have no feel for length. What a saw was brown with some black stripes...not real sure of direction....as I only caught a quick glemps. So my question is (being from the only good snake is a dead snake) are there a suck thing as snake bait? Way to catch? Exterminate? Asking for my wife....actually havn’t mentioned it to her yet? Best approach?
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Seriously though...if you can tell if it’s non poisonous then let it be.  They eat small rodents & some snakes feed on poisonous snakes.   Could have been a rat snake from the description.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • northGAcock
    garden snakes are cool and very helpful. They eat all kinds of nasty critters and keep your eco system balanced. Unless it was a copperhead, which are very easily identified, you are in good shape. Just think of it as a legless lizard :)

was trimming my fig ivy yesterday and witnessed a snake slather between the stones in the corner of the picture below

i had seen on occasion my dogs paying close attention on other occasions, but thought they were chasing the usual lizard which mesmerizes them. The snake (what little I saw) was slightly thicker than a pencil...but I have no feel for length. What a saw was brown with some black stripes...not real sure of direction....as I only caught a quick glemps. So my question is (being from the only good snake is a dead snake) are there a suck thing as snake bait? Way to catch? Exterminate? Asking for my wife....actually havn’t mentioned it to her yet? 
    Yeah....gonna have to get another look at that rascal. Was a brief encounter and only caught a glemps at that. Gonna keep it on the down low till I get a better look.

• northGAcock
    SSQUAL612 said:
    That’s a garden hose...nothing to fret. 
    I think you intended to say garden snake...as I am certain my hose was not moving like that. :o

• northGAcock

dmchicago said:
    There are actually good snakes. Probably harmless.
    Thinking wife might differ with you on this one. 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Let it be. Like others have said, they eat pests. Snakes are way more anxious to avoid you than you are to avoid them. 
    I found this beauty in my front yard the other day.  

He was pretty pissed because my cat had been messing with him, but I tried to catch him anyway. As a PSA, even harmless snakes will bite if angry enough. 

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Leave it alone. It’s not like it was one of these that I saw 2 weeks ago. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    Foghorn said:

Yep...red on yellow is not good.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Yep.  No bueno.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    I used to believe like you all snakes are bad, and my dad used to fuss at me for killing anything that slithered including kingsnakes....well a couple of years ago I killed a couple kingsnakes and found out the hard way they are good....old Chinese proverb ..the enemy of my enemy is my friend....the next summer I had a REAL problem with copper heads..got but myself , all 3 of my dogs got bit...before the summer was over we killed 9 in my back yard..

This year I have a kingsnake that likes to hang out on my porch...on the arm railing at that   :s but he gets a free pass even though he scares the **** out of me every day...because he keeps the copperheads away
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    When I was landscaping in Raleigh  there was a 5 foot black snake that lived in a customers wall he got in behind the power meter. pretty cool snake When we showed up it would go up the power meter and into the wall or he would climb up in the crepe Myrtle get out of our way.  I told the guy about it he just shrugged his shoulders probably would’ve been a different story if I had spoke with his wife :o 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    It's probably a Green Mamba.  I say move or burn the house down.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SSQUAL612
    Big California Garter Snake crossing my path the other day. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2018
    Accidentally ran over this guy leaving for work last week. Can't decide if it's a copper head or brown snake. We do have a lot of copper heads around which I don't like.....the rest I'm indifferent to. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    One morning in NC I looked out the window in the back yard to see that one of the branches in the trees was moving in a funny way.  Then I saw it was a snake, about five feet long,  and that it was actually climbing the tree.  

Did some Googling - rat snake.  Harmless and actually one you want around.   Still freaked the sh!t out of me though.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I would rather have black snakes they rodents..

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Snakes are your friend.  Your glimpse of the juvenile snake with “brown with black stripes” leaves open the door for it being a copperhead.  They have distinctive, poisonous snake, angular heads.  Google images copperhead.  Kill it if it is, respect it if it isn’t.  A copperhead could kill Maddie, especially a juvenile.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SSQUAL612
    Here's some info on the different rat snake species. 

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/elaobs.htm
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I really don't have anything against snakes, but if it's in my yard he's as good as dead if I see it.
    I spent the early portion of life living in a snake infested area. Every dog I had was bitten by rattlesnakes. My father was bitten on the hand and nearly lost his arm.
     My grand parents eventually had us move to the family farm to prevent us kids from being bitten.
    Snakes are more than welcome to live out their lives in peace as long as they aren't in my yard.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Chosen weapon for killing dangerous snakes.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/stealth-rabbit/product/CLD-95SLBZ/?scid=pla_google_stealth-rabbit&rmatt=tsid:1012713|cid:1058947826|agid:51617512306|tid:pla-326488966204|crid:251165831513|nw:g|rnd:289947599428542755|dvc:c|adp:1o13|mt:|loc:9014934&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0M-Awt-62gIVUgeGCh3CPggQEAQYDSABEgJhUvD_BwE

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Killed a water mocassinn in my backyard about a year ago, then about 2 months ago came across a black racer which is harmless and slithered away to the cow pasture out back. Gotta keep your head on a swivel outside 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2018
    If its not colorful or has diamonds on it and a rattle on the tail you are probably fine. If its black its a mouse trap

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Foghorn said:

How did the old Boy Scout verse go,
    "Red against Yellow, he'll kill a fellow,
    Red against Black, eat him as a snack" ?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:

How did the old Boy Scout verse go,
    "Red against Yellow, he'll kill a fellow,
    Red against Black, eat him as a snack" ?  
    Fairly subtle difference there between dying and eating.
  • northGAcock
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Here's some info on the different rat snake species. 

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/elaobs.htm
    My best recollection of the brief view would say this is a juvinal rat snake....but I will withhold positive id until another sighting. 

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Accidentally ran over this guy leaving for work last week. Can't decide if it's a copper head or brown snake. We do have a lot of copper heads around which I don't like.....the rest I'm indifferent to. 
    I can eliminate copperhead for you. Not a copperhead
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2018
    etherdome said:
    I can eliminate copperhead for you. Not a copperhead
    Agree. It like looks nothing like the copperheads we have around here. Not even vaguely similar. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.