Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You know you're a yougster if.....

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Circles as in lapping on a track.
    Oh yeah, we all went to the track on Friday nights to chase women.  :|
    It’s almost Jams weather 

BYS1981 said:
    WeberWho said:
    Starter Jackets

Did you guys used to collect clips? The things that keep the strings at the length you want. 
    Real men wore Members Only 

Jams and Members Only would send any woman, running, fast. Away. I think we now know why you had to chase women at the track.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'm so old I remember going weeks without taking a picture of something.  @DMW I too had a Olds Omega.  Beige two-door, 3 speed Hurst shifter. '71 I think. I still have dreams that the car is still driveable. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    1st vehicle I learned how to drive. Eat your heart out!

We still own one of these and it still works. 93 Aerostar in White. It was my first vehicle I learned to drive too. I remember driving it home from the DMV the day I got my license.  
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I used to wear out the Ms. PacMan tabletop at the local pizza hut. 

I was just telling the intern about this! Pizza Hut, Saturday nights and John Cougar on the juke box
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Image result for 260Z
    I went the fastest I’ve ever been on the roads in a car just like that one. 135 mph on back country roads. Sometimes, it’s a miracle I’m alive. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    I still HAVE one of those!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options

My brother and I would wear out the one at Happy Joe's growing up in North Dakota.  We could make a buck in quarters each last a long time.  Now that I'm a parent I can see the genius in my parents giving us two bucks in exchange for some time for pizza, beers and peace and quiet at the table while we were off playing.  A true win-win.  This thread rocks.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    And these @Carolina Q??Related image
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    And these @Carolina Q??
    Might have a pair around somewhere. Don't know why.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    My first car was a 1953 Henry J which I bought for $50 when I was 15. All I did was wash it and sold it a year later for $150 and I thought I was a financial guru! LOL
    Then I used that money plus another $50 and bought a 1948 Chevy coupe. It was BIG! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    For you old car buffs, did any of you know that Ford produced a few Falcon Station Wagons?  

I learned to drive on the 1969 version.  It was army green with black vinyl seats and no a/c in Orlando.  My dad got a great deal on it in 1971.

Needless to say, any social success I had in high school in the late 1970's and early 1980's was not due to that car.

Below is a representative pic off the interwebs, but in reality and with the second-hand army green paint job it was far uglier.

jeffo54 1969 Ford Falcon

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    Image result for 260Z
    I too had a 260Z which we bought new and my wife wrecked it. It sat in our garage for 5 years and I rebuilt it myself using Fiberglas parts from CA. Both front fenders, headlight buckets, rocker panels, skins over the rear fenders plus a spoiler like on yours. Furthermore I replaced all 4 wheels with cool mags. Also had the rear bumper straightened and rechromed. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Image result for 260Z
    I too had a 260Z which we bought new and my wife wrecked it. It sat in our garage for 5 years and I rebuilt it myself using Fiberglas parts from CA. Both front fenders, headlight buckets, rocker panels, skins over the rear fenders plus a spoiler like on yours. Furthermore I replaced all 4 wheels with cool mags. Also had the rear bumper straightened and rechromed. 
    In full disclosure, that isn't my yellow 260.  I bought mine from a friend and put a front and rear spoiler on, fender flairs, molded those into the body with fiberglass and painted Imron metallic blue.  Added a GT white stripe from front to back on top, black rocker panel stripes.  It came with some nice "mag" wheels.  Put headers, 2.5" exhaust, larger throttle body and Accel coil on it.  Did all the work myself except the exhaust.  When I was a senior in HS, I had one of the sweeter cars on the lot.

In college, some A-hole in a liquor truck rear-ended my on the highway - I was driving slow because these cars would get vapor-lock, was trying to get off the road.  Anyway, don't remember the accident other than waking up in a police car trying to remember my name.  Car looked like an accordion and my seat was literally bent back from being accelerated with my mass.

Used the insurance money to buy a turn-key restored 240Z, which (my bad) I totaled running off a winding road into a drainage ditch.  I think my next 2 cars were a SAAB 99E and Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.  Car before was a Cougar XR7.
    Options
    my chevette in college looked something like this, you could bounce a basketball thru the floor on the passenger side. this is back in the day parents let a kid register a car like this =)

Image result for rusted chevette
    If it was a 1982 Chevette, good chance I put in the brake master cylinder - did some time on the assembly line.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,171
    edited March 2018
    Options

My first car (web picture) was a 75 Ford Maverick.  Smaller car with a V8 so it had decent speed & bad tires.  It was rusty.  Maybe not by coincidence,  the floorboards were truly Flintstone worthy.  If you drove in the rain, your feet would soon be wet.  What a piece of junk, but I loved it!  Edit:  It was a crappy copper or rust color which disguised the cancerous rust.  Oh, it was a 4 door which appealed to the chicks!
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    my chevette in college looked something like this, you could bounce a basketball thru the floor on the passenger side. this is back in the day parents let a kid register a car like this =)

Image result for rusted chevette
    If it was a 1982 Chevette, good chance I put in the brake master cylinder - did some time on the assembly line.
    mine was blue, im thinking it was a 78, i did my best to destroy it =)  it was like a gocart in the city and other than it rusted like it was parked in salt water, it just kept going
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,039
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    1st vehicle I learned how to drive. Eat your heart out!

We still own one of these and it still works. 93 Aerostar in White. It was my first vehicle I learned to drive too. I remember driving it home from the DMV the day I got my license.  
    My dad worked from home so the "turtle van" was always available. I'd have the speedometer buried 2-3 times a week against my friends Honda Civic. Clipped a deer with it and someone backed into it when over at my buddies house. (Hit and run) My dad wasn't very happy about that one. My sister misjudged the garage door opening and scraped the side up pretty good against a brick wall. I may be guilty for the life of the transmission. That poor van didn't even make 90,000 miles and it was done for. My sister and I probably put on 30,000 when in high school. The one positive thing was that my dad was able to trade it in for something like $3,500-$4,000 during cash for clunkers.

Talk about being young and dumb!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My first ride......not fast but had a hard time getting stuck.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    First Wheels.  '74 Grand Prix.  Beast.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    Options

1971 VW Super Beetle. My parents bought it brand new a couple of months before I was born. Rode home from the hospital in my mother’s arms in that car and 16 years later learned how to drive in that very same car. Dad just sold it a couple of years ago. He offered it to me, but I didn’t have space for it at the time. Still kicking myself for not getting it...
    Jefferson, GA
  • jeffwit
    Options
    Is this thread sinking? If so, why?
    Jefferson, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    Brason said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Or how epic these were...for the record, not me
    Is this kid dipping? Man I love the south!
    Hittin' the Moonpies and RC Cola hard, for sure.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,028
    Options

It helped that each play was $0.25.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Options

Hah!  My first was a '70, two-door as pictured but baby-**** green.  170-cu. in. straight six (0-60 in less than a day!), three-on-the-tree with a big chrome shift handle that burned your palm skin off on hot days, no glove compartment, rather a shelf where the vent opening was, blew anything lighter than a glove onto the floor.  Got totaled the day before I left for boot camp, eventually replaced with a '71 Rustang.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My first ride.  I kept a box of oil in the front truck....but hey for $200 I liked it. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Botch
    Options
    For the geek youngsters:

I missed having to use computer punchcards by one semester:

Dinna need no steenking millionaire endorsements:

Tangle 'em up, and throw 'em away, Everyone wants a Slinky:

(those last two are still available)

Can anyone still smell the ink?

I also remember starting the tractor with the crank on the front, and almost getting my jawbone broken when She kicked back!  

Fun thread!  

-Cher

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,462
    Options
    Gotta admit that the buffalo deciding to sink this thread is quite off the mark in how I have perceived the usual trip-wires.  The good side for me is to remove all the pics and posts about topics that I fully recall in my advanced youth.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.