Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE paying dividends. My kids cooked me the best dinner ever.

Options
I got back from a business trip to Charleston - where the airport is still closed due to the blizzard a few days ago - so I had to fly into Atlanta and out of Charlotte - and get one way car rentals.  I knew that my kids (ages 23 and 20) were planning on cooking dinner and that our best friends were coming over.  I knew that it would be a good evening with good food, but I was floored by just how great it was.  I walked in the door to some of the best aromas I've ever smelled and went out to the egg to see my son putting the finishing touches (ginger/cherry topping) on the pork chops.  My daughter did the rest indoors.  They included ham and cheese wafer biscuits, cheesy potatoes (both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes with some wasabi thrown in for good measure), brussels sprouts, and white chocolate mousse in two forms.

I'm thinking I can't let them go back to school after the break.  They should stay home and cook for me every evening.  And that it's unlikely that I will have a better meal in the rest of 2018. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That right there is awesome. You raised 'em right, be proud.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Holy cow! They nailed that dinner! Cheers to them!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks @DMW and @blind99.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Make sure you take good care of your teeth cause if that food is any indication, you will want to be able to eat whatever they cook when your a lot older. Wow and congratulations. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    That's a good point @SamIAm2 and thanks for the kind comment.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Foghorn- you obviously exposed them to the things you and they appreciate with great food and company.  They took that and ran with it to a true banquet.  Beyond that they appreciate the common bond you share and that is beyond measure.  Welcome home.  What a great evening.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Family meals are extremely important.  So much to teach and learn and bond and just have fun and laugh.  The great food y'all had is an added bonus.  Congrats on having great children - but you nurtured them that way, so congrats to you. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice payback brother. Family time and great food. Cheers. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @lousubcap.  I've been waffling back and forth between being proud of my accomplishments as a parent and thinking "it's better to be lucky than good".  Of course the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  But for tonight I'll bask in the glory of my protruding belly and declare victory. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @mEGG_My_Day and @bgebrent.

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Best post of the evening!!   Totally an awesome moment and something to be really proud of!! Your living right sir. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you very much @Mattman3969.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow! That is awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Wow! Impressive stuff right there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Wowza! Very cool.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker, @StillH2OEgger, and @Ozzie_Isaac.

I actually have to give credit to the folks on this site for a good portion of this.  Having my son cook and butcher with Cen-Tex, @20stone, @caliking, and others has really helped me and my son improve our game - and apparently some of that has transmitted to my daughter.  Although she has done some cooking with those clowns as well so they deserve a lot of the credit.  Thank you guys.

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I actually have to give credit to the folks on this site for a good portion of this.  Having my son cook and butcher with Cen-Tex, @20stone, @caliking, and others has really helped me and my son improve our game - and apparently some of that has transmitted to my daughter.  Although she has done some cooking with those clowns as well so they deserve a lot of the credit.  Thank you guys.
    I've met those guys, they are trouble (in a good way).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Options
    DMW said:
    Foghorn said:

I've met those guys, they are trouble (in a good way).
    They're trouble on my wallet and my waistline @DMW.

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is the best thing I’ve read all week. Outstanding. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @SciAggie.  It's definitely the best thing that has happened to me in a while.  And I really do credit the lunkheads here for much of it.

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Super cool man. Again, kudos on the experience. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Verndog
    Verndog Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow that looks wonderful! That is such a great experience and memory for you. You have obviously raised some great kids!  Congrats to you sir!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A special moment, @Foghorn

And just so the rest of you guys know, Fog’s son was invited to the last hog butchering in his place. Because we know he’ll actually get some work done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    This is the best thing I’ve read all week. Outstanding. 
    This is the best thing I've read all year!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That’s awesome! Clearly you’ve done a fine job with your kids.  Kudos to them, when I was their age I was lucky I didn’t give myself food poisoning with my lack of cooking knowledge.  Then again I had a talent for overcooking the crap outta everything. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Gittin' there...
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    What a great looking meal!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Tell them I get back from a business trip next Tuesday. I'll send them my address.

Props to them (and to you) for the wonderful meal. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Doesn't this just make you feel good

and hungry