Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Maiden Voyage

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    that looks  phenomenal, especially given the size of it. 

Since it it burns wood too, what about throwing a stick or two in there just for flavor? Don’t know if it would make a noticeable difference, but there’s only one way to find out. 
    The stick burner box is a different setup that the gas burner. You can’t do both at the same time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The burners load in from the bottom. You would. Have to take out the gas box and put in the wood box

You can see the wood burner in the foreground of this pic and the gas burner is attached to the rig. You swap them out according to what you want to use. I’ll try the wood burner today and report back. Im thinking this is going to be a gas rig for the most part. From what I’ve read, the cooks are so fast you don’t get that wood flavor like you would on a bge or wfo

im excited to find out though. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Better pic of the gas burner attached. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Like the looks of that. What else do you plan on cooking? Can you control the temp with wood like you can the gas?
    I plan to do some cast iron cooks in there for sure. And some naan. 

You can Only control the temp with wood by controlling how much wood you use. There is no dial like there is with the gas burner. I plan on playing around with that today. I need to split some kindling sized pieces first. That will require some drinks. It’s early...kind of. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    outstanding post, great information , great pizzas ....and crap, now i gotta have one.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Very nice!  Beautiful pies. Couldn’t see the tree =)
    This took me a while but I finally got it. 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Great Info!  Thanks for the review.  My wife is going to ban me from this board.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Nice, looking forward to the wood report
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Naans should turn out well on this rig. 

I tried naan on a BS pizza oven , and launching the naan was cumbersome. Ended up rolling them out on parchment and sliding them in. Let me know if you come up with a better solution. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

I tried naan on a BS pizza oven , and launching the naan was cumbersome. Ended up rolling them out on parchment and sliding them in. Let me know if you come up with a better solution. 
    With @TFJ's Kalisi hands, I expect @The Cen-Tex Smoker will step aside and let her just toss them in.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

With @TFJ's Kalisi hands, I expect @The Cen-Tex Smoker will step aside and let her just toss them in.
    She is the mother of dragons. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Rereading the relentless naan thread now. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Rereading the relentless naan thread now. 
    Like the Godfather movies, the sequel is better:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205398/the-relentless-naan-thread-part-2-also-long-but-i-think-i-nailed-it/p1

The guy that wrote it is a bit of a $%^ but seems to know what he's talking about.

Holla if you need some starter.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    I was not quick enough on the draw, but yes the second version of the relentless naan was much better. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Couple more pies. Getting a little better each time. Not 100% there yet and we are using “quick dough” but sure is a fun cook. The first pie stuck to the peel and I dumped it On the the stone  half face down. The whole thing caught on fire and looked like travis’ egg when he had the grease fire. It burned off in about 4 min, I scraped the stone with the peel and finally got some work done. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It looks like it cooks very well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice!  Did you encounter any Sirens?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    It looks like it cooks very well. 
    It does. I have a lot to learn but it’s very forgiving
  • caliking
    Options
    That alien contraption is a party waiting to happen.

The pie in the first pic above is my fav. Pesto?

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great work!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If it's primarily a gas oven, any idea how it compares to the blackstone oven? This thing is like twice the price of the blackstone correct?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    If it's primarily a gas oven, any idea how it compares to the blackstone oven? This thing is like twice the price of the blackstone correct?
    Kenji had a video review of a bunch of these from different manufacturers, including this one and the Blackstone.  It was actually the first thing I’ve seen that made me question the BS.  Worth tracking down.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Been googling. Found this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/best-backyard-pizza-ovens-review.html
    I didn't realize just how different they are, can see now the draw to the roccbox. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Been googling. Found this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/best-backyard-pizza-ovens-review.html
    I didn't realize just how different they are, can see now the draw to the roccbox. 
    I have the Blackstone oven. I'm. Not. Clicking. That. Link.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Kenji had a video review of a bunch of these from different manufacturers, including this one and the Blackstone.  It was actually the first thing I’ve seen that made me question the BS.  Worth tracking down.  
    That’s what got me to make the jump. This also has a wood burner but I haven’t fired that up yet. I’m going to for sure. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That’s what got me to make the jump. This also has a wood burner but I haven’t fired that up yet. I’m going to for sure. 
    If you’re up for it I can help you with that in a couple of weeks here.  I can tell you where the wood goes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

caliking said:
    That alien contraption is a party waiting to happen.

The pie in the first pic above is my fav. Pesto?
    Buffalo Mozzarella and pesto

It is a party waiting to happen. I cranked out 5 pies in 15 minutes total. It takes about 30 min to heat up when it’s this cold out (it was in the 30’s when I cooked these) but it holds temp like a champ. I had to turn it down between pies so I didn’t overheat the stone. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice! Very nice........very nice.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow