Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Maiden Voyage

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Fired up the Roccbox for the first time tonight. Tons of fun and works as advertised. Cranked out perfectly blistered pies in 90-120 seconds. Despite a few crispy spots, I was thrilled with the results. Very intuitive to use. Like the iPad of pizza ovens. Just turn it on and kind of feel your way through.  I thought the constant fiddling with and having to turn the pies would be a drawback but I really enjoyed it. It’s a very fast, active cook. If you need a sip of beer, you had better be quick or do it between pies. The difference in 15 and 20 seconds without watching is a perfect pie or a burnt spot in the crust. I cooked with gas tonight as I just wanted to play around with it. I’ll try with wood later this week. 

We used their quick dough recipe (1.25 hrs all
in). I’ll say that it lacked the character of an overnight proof but it was so easy and the pies were so good anyway. I think we will do our overnight dough sometimes but it was so nice to have something we could do in the time it took to set up the cook and heat the box. Could
do on a weeknight easily and the cleanup is a snap. 

The coolest thing was seeing the ingredients on the top sizzle the second the pizza hit the stone. 
This thing runs hot! 

Cant wait to try naan tomorrow and can’t wait to work on some cast iron sears for SV cooks. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Very nice!  Beautiful pies. Couldn’t see the tree =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Yes sir! I'd eat that 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Really cool. Grats 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    that thing looks fun!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99 said:
    that thing looks fun!  
    It is! 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Having fun now-great pies right there.  BTW- there's no such thing as a sip of beer. "If you need a sip of beer, you had better be quick or do it between pies."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Heck yeah....  fast hot and quick
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Very nice! Do you have a turning peel, and if so which one? My Blackstone rotates, but still there are times I wish I had a turner to shuffle the pie around on the stone. Will be interested in the results with wood.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2017
    DMW said:
    Very nice! Do you have a turning peel, and if so which one? My Blackstone rotates, but still there are times I wish I had a turner to shuffle the pie around on the stone. Will be interested in the results with wood.
    I just used the peel that comes with (I like it) and It does not do anything special that I can tell. Just pull it and turn with your hand (quickly). Worked fine but I don’t know any better at this point. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    I just used the peel that comes with (I like it) and It does not do anything special that I can tell. Just pull it and turn with your hand (quickly). Worked fine but I don’t know any better at this point. 
    Dwayne has small hands. There may be other peels ;). Happy New Year brothers. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Dwayne has small hands. There may be other peels ;). Happy New Year brothers. 
    Ha ha. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  Thanks for the very thorough review.   Everything I've seen on these things is positive - enjoy.

Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    And the chicks? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • And the chicks? 
    I can confirm that 100% of the chicks that saw this tonight were very frisky after :)

I’m sold. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    And the chicks? 
    I can confirm that 100% of the chicks that saw this tonight were very frisky after :)

I’m sold. 
    What would you do if you had a million dollars? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Congrats. I've been following it for almost a year on FB, unlike uuni, most if not all users are happy campers. From what I read, with the quick 90 sec cook one will be hard pressed to tell the difference between gas and wood.  
    canuckland
  • Congrats. I've been following it for almost a year on FB, unlike uuni, most if not all users are happy campers. From what I read, with the quick 90 sec cook one will be hard pressed to tell the difference between gas and wood.  
    That’s what I have read as well. I’m secretly hoping that’s true because it was so good and so easy. And I still have my bge if I want to do a lump fired cook. 

• Congrats. I've been following it for almost a year on FB, unlike uuni, most if not all users are happy campers. From what I read, with the quick 90 sec cook one will be hard pressed to tell the difference between gas and wood.  
    I will say that I missed some of the smoke that I get with a bge pizza cook. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    That looks so, so awesome.  Thanks for the pics.  No thanks for the endless drain on my wallet you induce.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    That looks so, so awesome.  Thanks for the pics.  No thanks for the endless drain on my wallet you induce.
    SRSLY?
  • Like the looks of that. What else do you plan on cooking? Can you control the temp with wood like you can the gas?
  • -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Very cool.  No wonder you look so relaxed in your new pic.  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Nice pies. I’m glad this device performs as advertised. Cooking should be fun, not frustrating. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great post! I keep looking for a William Sonoma Discount code to work with this...
    How much more propane do you think this thing sucks compared to a Blackstone?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    that looks  phenomenal, especially given the size of it. 

Since it it burns wood too, what about throwing a stick or two in there just for flavor? Don’t know if it would make a noticeable difference, but there’s only one way to find out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2017
    Photo Egg said:
    Great post! I keep looking for a William Sonoma Discount code to work with this...
    How much more propane do you think this thing sucks compared to a Blackstone?
    I don’t know how it would 
    compare to a Blackstone (I assume you are talking about the pizza oven) but I would guess they are similar.

I ran it for 2 hours on a full tank and there is plenty left. An hour of that was to season it up and burn off all the machine oils etc. the pies cook in under 2 min and it gets to temp in roughly 15-20 min. It’s a small box so it’s pretty efficient