Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You don't need no stinking Egg to cook GOAT

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
@Village Idiot called me to go to Castell, TX with him today for a goat cook-off (218 miles round trip for me). Let me start "NO EGGS"  as not needed. 
Everything from this homemade (got the job done) to a butt load of money rig (about 7 teams). Hell 7 is the population of Castell. We got there at 11:30 and found the judging would not be till 3pm. So ended up eating at the store. Got to tell you Central Texas guys to go on a Saturday as some of the best BBQ anywhere and half the price of Austin. 
Really had a good time. This little box is a homemade smoker for goat..

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey

The man himself: VI
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Now a question. Having put on (with LOTS of help) 5 EggFests and attended at least 10 others and watched this and the old forums for way too many years I do not remember anyone cooking GOAT. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited October 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NTjqaAKBo&feature=share

Adam Sandler goat skit

for some reason YouTube shares only link not preview pic anymore
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Mickey said:
    Now a question. Having put on (with LOTS of help) 5 EggFests and attended at least 10 others and watched this and the old forums for way too many years I do not remember anyone cooking GOAT. 
    @20stone and @caliking cooked goat at BC4 last week. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Foghorn said:
    Mickey said:
    And you and I missed it! damn

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'd be wary of that 3rd weekend in May...
    Looks like a great Q afternoon.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    lousubcap said:
    I’m glad @nolaegghead went with “brisket camp” rather than that name. @SGH may need to host that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    edited October 2017
    lousubcap said:
    Just beef (Rocky Mountain Oysters).  VI asked about turkey fries (turkey testicles) and they said no - they didn’t even know about them.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Looks like an interesting day.  How was the goat?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Mickey
    edited October 2017
    Hawg Fan said:
    Looks like an interesting day.  How was the goat?
    Didn't get any. The judging was not till 3:00. We got there at 11:30 and didn't want to stay as were are both100 miles out. So just bought great BBQ ..

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Foghorn said:
    Mickey said:
    @caliking, what are you doing next October?  We may need to take our show on the road. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Mickey said:
    BCIV did have a goat, and not too many eggs.  It was cooked on a homemade asado cross (in @nolaegghead's backyard) and turned out pretty good. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Are you going to rent an engine hoist when you get there??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Mickey
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Mickey said:
    @caliking, what are you doing next October?  We may need to take our show on the road. 

Thought for sure you guys would come in May. 

• 20stone
    SamIAm2 said:
    Are you going to rent an engine hoist when you get there??
    I plan on welding a base by then, though the hoist was perfect. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX

• WTH Mickey
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Mickey said:

I was going to say "nothing much" and just realized that may no longer be true...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    DMW said:
    @20stone That certainly was tasty...

I was actually somewhat surprised by how good the chimichurri turned out. I've been adding it to all kinds of things this past week and its been REALLY good. Wish we had made it the day before the cook, because the flavors are even better now.  

• Mickey
    @caliking and @20stone you guys would love it. It's very pro-family. The whole thing reminded me of the best of the original Salado Fests . One of the cooks is a chef at an Asian place in Austin. VI and I will have lunch there next week and find out who won it. She was grinding down pecans and berries to form a rub for hers. 

• That looks like an awesome time

XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
    Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
    Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS
  • caliking
    @mickey I have a strong feeling that Team NFA will be repping hard in Castell next year.

Calendars have been marked. And 51 weeks to plan can only mean that we'll about kill ourselves cooking a goat next October. 

• Mickey
    edited October 2017

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

WTH Mickey
    In Salado, if you pass out, you might end up in the Creek...Don't EVER pass out in Castell, TX the 3rd weekend of May!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas