Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggfest - Keller, TX

Options
Just saw this posted up. It's about time someone started one inside the DFW metroplex. Wrong weekend for me but maybe some others here are interested. There are demo eggs if you are in the market.

http://www.jabosace.com/grillyouraceoff

Calling all Egg Heads! Jabo's Ace Hardware is excited to announce our first ever Grill Your Ace Off Egg Fest Competition! This competition is designed to raise funds for our local Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, Cook Children's in Fort Worth. Come out and sample some delicious grilled food or compete to be our first ever Grill Your Ace Off Champion! This competition and event will be on October 21st, 2017 at our Keller Location!

People's Choice Tasting:

General Admission: Be the judge from 11-2pm on October 21st! With your minimum donation of $10, you can LOAD UP a plate of deliciously grilled food from up to 12 teams. Contestants aren't restricted so you could see anything from bacon wrapped shrimp to peach cobbler! We only ask that everything be cooked on a Big Green Egg!

VIP Admission: Be the judge from 11-2pm on October 21st! With your minimum donation of $25, you can LOAD UP a plate of deliciously grilled food from up to 12 teams all while wearing a LIMITED EDITION Grill Your Ace Off T-Shirt! Plus each admission receives a goodie bag and 3 beverage vouchers for the people's choice tasting!

Contestants:

Do your friends consider you a Big Green Egg Master? If so, PROVE THEM RIGHT! Apply to be a contestant for Jabo's Ace first ever Grill Your Ace Off Egg Fest! We are looking for contestants to offer up samples to our valued customers and to our prestigious judges for a chance to win BIG prizes!

To hold your spot we require a non-refundable registration fee of at least $50. The proceeds from this fee will be donated to Children's Miracle Network benefiting Cook Children's right here in Fort Worth. Please specify your total contribution to CMN when registering for your spot. Registration deadline is September 30th or until we receive 14 contestants.

Judges:
We are looking for local judges! If you're a local chef, celebrity, reality star, politician, social media star, blogger, radio personality or just a self-proclaimed foodie apply to be a judge!

Still have questions? Email GrillYourAceOff@JabosAce.com or call 817-482-1000.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I was gonna make a comment, but I'll just leave it be.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Hahaha @Hotch so let me get this right. It only cost me 50 dollars to spend my time shopping, buy the food with my money, drive to their location and setup, then cook and hand out food on one of my Saturdays. Just to have my ego stroked by a few strangers...  just to hangout with my egghead friends.what a deal. Let me get right on that. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I can't see, hear or comment on this. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I stopped reading after the cooks' registration fee.

But then the part about the judges caught my eye, and I didn't know whether to roll my eyes, laugh really hard, or be annoyed that those are the kind of folks being sought for judging an eggfest (which itself is a bogus notion). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Just saw this posted up. It's about time someone started one inside the DFW metroplex. Wrong weekend for me but maybe some others here are interested. There are demo eggs if you are in the market.

http://www.jabosace.com/grillyouraceoff
    In defense of the event (and the OP), it looks like the proceeds of the cooking fee (and everything else, save, perhaps, for the sales of the demo eggs) are going to charity.

It looks like you'd be banging out samples for 300 while also doing a competition plate, and be limited on time for the comp plate.  It could be fun, but I will be otherwise occupied banging out more food for more people on a TBD cooking device while dancing, drinking and (maybe) burning down a building.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'm not affiliated in any way so feel free to say whatever you want. I was just sharing for others.
    I also thought the $50 cook fee was ridiculous. I tried to contact them on their FB page but it wouldn't let me message them. I was going to point out that Athens gives cooks a $50 gift card to shop with and doesn't charge cooks.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• texaswig
    Options
    @Toxarch I didn't figure you were. Maybe we can all go and be judges. Athens is a good fest. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'm not quite understanding the hate on this charity Eggfest.

The KCBS contests I'm familiar with (and they are very few admittedly so they may be the exception) require contestants to pay an entry fee of a few hundred dollars, supply their own meat and other foods, supply your own cookers and other gear. Generally, the entry fee is not donated to charity and goes into the prize pool and the rest of the money goes to the event organizers expenses. Some KCBS events do donate some funds to charity.

This event is asking for a minimum charity donation of $50 to enter (you're free to give more), supplies the cooker for you, supplies a 10x10 pop up tent, supplies charcoal and fire starter. Yes you do need to supply your own meat and other foods just like a KCBS contest. They also give you a bucket to accept CMN donations (from wandering tasters I assume). The fourteen entrants have a chance to win one of three prizes - A Large Egg, A MiniMax or a Yeti soft sided cooler. With the small number of entrants you likely stand a better chance of winning something than you might at a popular KCBS event which could easily have 40 or more entrants.

Also, being a charity event for a local children's hospital I'm pretty sure that most folks would be able to take a tax deduction for the market cost of the meat/food they cook.

Sure the "local celebrity judges" aren't necessarily trained bbq judging professionals. So what? You might have a chance to hang out with that hot looking weather gal from Channel 9. :)

Sounds to me like just another fun day (assuming good weather that is :) ) raising money for a worthy local cause and having fun with some of your local citizens. Sounds more fun to me than some of the local charity fundraisers I've attended over the years.

Maybe providing your own food and having to pay to enter is not  the norm at some (many? most?) Eggfests. I dunno, as I have never cooked at one. From what I know about BGE's own big annual Eggtoberfest cooks do pay an entry fee and do provide their own food to prepare. I have no idea if the big BGE Eggtoberfest is also setup as a charity event with some portion of proceeds donated to some local charity.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'd happily go but that's the same weekend as Brisket Camp in New Orleans, to which I am committed for life.  Plus this year there'll be the Anus Maximus Festival put on by @SGH in Nola around the same time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I would pay $50 to cook in this Eggfest. I am just not that good of a cook. There are some on here who could even win it. A free Large is a pretty awesome deal for the winner.        

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hotch
    Options
    I'm more old school. More like Salado.
    I'm guessing this has no pre party nor an after party... B)
    But I can see where Eggfests in the future will be these type of small events.
    Just not as much fun.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    @HeavyG.. I've always thought it was weird to charge Eggers to basically sell a product for someone and pay to do it. Salado and BC are the only ones that I have attended though. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Although I prefer the Salado approach for fun and grab-assing, I could get behind doing it as a charity fundraiser. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    Options
    I'm with @henapple.  I don't have a problem with charity and it's nice for them to do. I will be planning a charity event in a year or so. I will be getting money from all angles. Sponsors, raffles and even merchandise. But not the people doing all the work and sacrifice of their time. Cost for travel, some of those even being flights and hotel. My plan is to make it something like brisket camp and charge for tasters. I'm not trying to be critical. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I'm with @henapple.  I don't have a problem with charity and it's nice for them to do. I will be planning a charity event in a year or so. I will be getting money from all angles. Sponsors, raffles and even merchandise. But not the people doing all the work and sacrifice of their time. Cost for travel, some of those even being flights and hotel. My plan is to make it something like brisket camp and charge for tasters. I'm not trying to be critical. 
    @texaswig Can I sleep on the floor?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    Options
    Oh hell No @hotch planning on getting some cots. I'm wanting to plan it when it's not too hot or cold. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    Although I prefer the Salado approach for fun and grab-assing, I could get behind doing it as a charity fundraiser. 
    We spend between $400 -$800 on each of the six Eggfests at which we cook at each year. Not including the time off of work. Most are for some charity of sorts and at those we will make a cash donation. But it just goes against my common sense to "Pay to Cook" when we outlay that much cash to cook at an Eggfest.
    As most know we bring everything we need to to have a successful cook. All we need is an Egg. We spend a great deal of EggFest time educating new and potential Eggheads about the different ways to cook and experience the BGE. This is really what we like to do best. Not slinging food at $10.00 a plate.

The Mission is to promote Big Green Egg and all that goes with it.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    Options

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    texaswig said:

@texaswig I call the top bunk!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    @texaswig... I call the van. 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch those are cool. @henapple how about some hammocks.  You could be the skipper. And @nolaegghead can be Gilligan. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx