Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Does one lose their man card for grilling a salad?

Even if the answer is yes, I would do it again.  My dad dropped me off a dozen crabs after spending the weekend crabbing down the Chesapeake.  It sounds like the crabbing is really picking up as they were averaging about 75 keepers each day.  When trying to decided what to make I remembered seeing a grilled romaine salad with grilled corn topped with crab meat and a guacamole based dressing in a magazine.  Made a delicious light weeknight meal.  And don't worry, I had enough meat leftover to make some delicious crab cakes to pair with a ribeye for dinner last night.  Thanks for looking.  

L BGE
Paoli, PA

Instagram

Comments

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,653
    That looks awesome!  I've always wanted to do a grilled salad but haven't yet.  Man card stays intact, bro!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 2,650
    We really like the grilled romain salad as well. This is definitely a yuge step if from what I normally make and it looks fantastic.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • Did this a few weeks ago and it was incredibly good. Like you, I will also do again. 
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,522
    Awesome! I would argue just the opposite, takes a real confident man to grill salad! Again, BEAUTIFUL!
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    Outstanding. I would happily tear into that salad. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,017
    Very nice. Keep your man card for now....all is well.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• da87da87 Posts: 638
    Looks fabulous!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,332
    No loss of man card. Just a few reduction points. Easily made up with beer points.  ;) That salad looks phenomenal by the way!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Everyone I've introduced to grilled romaine has loved it. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 1,909
    That looks great! Be proud and Egg on.
    Stillwater, MN
  • No loss of Man card. We always grill our Romaine now. Wife loves it that way now. She doesn't want it, if it isn't grilled.
    SE PA
    XL, Mini max
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 2,226
     Who needs a man card anyways. That's a nice looking cook. 
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
  • 1voyager1voyager Posts: 300
    Looks amazing.
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser
  • What the hell else are you supposed to do with it? I didn't know there was any other way. If grilling salad is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 1,077

Good looking salad there! Toss on some grilled fruit and oh my.

You won't loose your man card but they did put an asteric (*) on mine.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Rte1985Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Grilling a salad.......no.........using a legit "salad" fork to eat that salad.............then yes
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,653
    After grilling, did you toss your salad?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 2,139
    Never.  Anything grilled, meat, potatoes, salad and dessert including but not limited to smores makes you more of a man
    Real men grill everything
  • Yup. Hand it over. I mean the salad. Looks killer!
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
    A very fine meal. Anyone that wishes to take your man card, is because they do not have one.
    Beautiful cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • What is this "S" word that has been mentioned????  Salud/Salad/Salid......  Never heard of it.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JohnEggGioJohnEggGio Posts: 389
    I'm all for grilling the romain, but question smothering that beautiful Maryland crab meat in guac...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CodyA88CodyA88 Posts: 118
    Looks delicious.  I love a grilled Caesar.  A little smoke in the romaine seems to go perfectly with the dressing and some shaved parm on top.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Johns Creek,GA
    Go Dawgs!
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,939
    I'd hit that!!! Man Card is only revoked for bearded guys that don't know how to change a tire...on and ManBun wearing fruitcakes. You're good. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,347
    Nice cook, grilled Romaine is excellent. Man card is intact, but remember the reason we have alcohol is because no great story ever started with someone having a salad....
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • BJM2932BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Thanks for al the support fellas, I'll be able to sleep soundly once again
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• BJM2932BJM2932 Posts: 119
    I'm all for grilling the romain, but question smothering that beautiful Maryland crab meat in guac...
    Looking back on it I should've strayed away from that aspect of the recipe, however it was still delicious.  Next time I will go with something much less overpowering to let the crab be the star of the show.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Scott805Scott805 Posts: 279
    Man, that salad looks killer!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent table!

Dallas, TX

• JohnEggGioJohnEggGio Posts: 389
    BJM2932 said:
    Looking back on it I should've strayed away from that aspect of the recipe, however it was still delicious.  Next time I will go with something much less overpowering to let the crab be the star of the show.  
    That's the way we do it - keep it simple - let the crab come through.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE