Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby beef plate ribs?

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,624
I'm used to the big Dino ribs being called plate ribs.  Found two racks like this at HEB yesterday and had to grab them.  Four bones, so back ribs?  Flat bones, so plate ribs?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I will not be cooking them as recommended on the label.  I brushed them with a little Stubbs marinade just to moisten them and hit them with a healthy dose of some Rattlesnake Farms bourbon smoked red meat rub that @tgs2401 sent me in the exchange (it smells great).  They're on with pecan smoke at 240 ish for now.  I am planning on wrapping later with one of the sauces he provided as well and let them caramelize a bit.  Sticky, pull apart is what I'm going for with these.

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Not sure, unfortunately none of the local grocery stores sell plate ribs. They'll have some beef ribs, but nothing with the thickness of those and what others have posted.

Either way im sure they're gonna be awesome. Standing by
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Those are shorties. I think 4 bones= chuck short ribs. Maybe they cut off some ribs like these and what you got is the leftover slab. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt thanks, that's what I think I meant, chuck ribs.  I've never bought them or cooked them.  Are these are the ones where one bone kicks out the other direction?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Legume said:
    @SmokeyPitt thanks, that's what I think I meant, chuck ribs.  I've never bought them or cooked them.  Are these are the ones where one bone kicks out the other direction?
    I don't think I have cooked them either. I have only done the 3 bone plate ribs and the English cut single short ribs. I guess you will see if the slab spits out one of the bones. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As above, the four bone ribs are the short ribs but still will yield brisket on a stick.  Most times you will have the wayward bone but does not matter.  Go for the tooth-pick for the win and you will be rewarded.  These could take upwards of 7 hours at 250*F on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep- chuck shorties. These are excellent

the reason bbq restaurants and comp teams normally use the 3 bone plate ribs is because these taper down quite a bit at the 4th bone and they don't get as good of a yield from that part of the rack. These are easier to find at HEB and I cook them all the time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - you never miss a chance to toss out HEB.  You know how good you've got it and rightfully enjoy. ;)  Us pedestrians use their mail order option but not for fresh groceries.  Onward and upward.  Back to tossing sticks and continuing to pound adult beverages.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - you never miss a chance to toss out HEB.  You know how good you've got it and rightfully enjoy. ;)  Us pedestrians use their mail order option but not for fresh groceries.  Onward and upward.  Back to tossing sticks and continuing to pound adult beverages.  
    It's less than a mile from my house too! Legume lives in my area so we shop (and eat) the same places. life is good in the ATX. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Bumped to 275.  I'll finish these with sauce in foil, so they'll speed up in time for dinner.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They should be done in plenty of time for dinner. These are usually a 5-6 hour cook at 230-250ish 
  • Legume
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker the HEB by me added a dry age cabinet recently like yours has.  I haven't tried it yet, but soon.  They only cut Fridays and when it's gone it's gone until the next week.  They do trim the hell out of them, pretty much look like regular red steaks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker the HEB by me added a dry age cabinet recently like yours has.  I haven't tried it yet, but soon.  They only cut Fridays and when it's gone it's gone until the next week.  They do trim the hell out of them, pretty much look like regular red steaks.
    They do trim them and they say that are required to. They still taste fantastic. They are really beefy and you can definitely taste the age on them. They are the best over the counter steaks in town imo. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I like the concept of the once a week slice and dice for the dry-aged beef.  I will suggest that process to our local Kroger manager as they do the dry-aged drill and you can see the locker (great way to suck more $$ from the wallet) from the meat counter.  Based on my conversations they slice the steaks in the 28-35 day window.  Yes, I should just do my own but the older I get the more I'm into paying for convenience.  FWIW-
    Sorry for the hi-jack.
  • Legume
    Options
    No hijack @lousubcap, nothing but a conversation.
  • Legume
    Options

Foiled now with a little sauce from the exchange.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Killer looking ribs!  Let me know what you think of the sauce. Must be good coming from KY
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Options

Just about to pull them off.  Very close to braised shortribs now.
  • Legume
    Options
    Had another HEB find today.  Trimmed brisket point for $3.49/lb.  Just one, it was surrounded by trimmed flats for $4.49/lb.  I don't understand it, but I'll buy it.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Let me know what you think about the sauce.   Being from Owensboro,KY I've had it many times but won't post my thoughts until you do.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Options
    Let me know what you think about the sauce.   Being from Owensboro,KY I've had it many times but won't post my thoughts until you do.  
    Waiting for the finish line to taste with the meat.  Out of the bottle, lots of tomato.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Legume said:
    Trimming is for "_________"
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Legume said:
    Waiting for the finish line to taste with the meat.  Out of the bottle, lots of tomato.
    I agree with your initial taste test.  Patiently waiting on the end game decision.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.