Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Eclipse of the Hard

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Has anyone checked the numbers on this, or are we relying on one person's calculation on when and where the eclipse is happening?  I would find it hilarious if it was next year or perhaps this year on 8-20 instead of 8-21.
    Pretty sure NASA doesn't screw up
    Well... that's not entirely accurate.  NASA has made a few mistakes in its history.

This eclipse has been pretty well understood for awhile now, however. It's a major celestial event, and it's not as though we just started studying these things.  There are literally thousands of scientists, amateur and professional, who've calculated the orbits/timings, because the observations they'll be making depend on it.

The chances that they've all somehow screwed up independently are pretty effing small.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Staying local but having a gathering of approx 30 at our baseball tailgat location. Hot dogs with slaw and chili....some BBQ and fixing. If you happen by, I will be the guy wearing the dark shades.
    Wait! I thought Luke, J, me, and Craig were the extent of your crew. 30?  Must be free food and beer. 
    You guys apparently were afraid of a little sun light / darkness. Who in there right mind would let work get in the way of this historical event? Luke will be there by the way....just received his 90 chip. He makes a great designated driver these days.
    If Luke is going to be there I am coming for sure!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Has anyone checked the numbers on this, or are we relying on one person's calculation on when and where the eclipse is happening?  I would find it hilarious if it was next year or perhaps this year on 8-20 instead of 8-21.
    Well... that's not entirely accurate.  NASA has made a few mistakes in its history.

This eclipse has been pretty well understood for awhile now, however. It's a major celestial event, and it's not as though we just started studying these things.  There are literally thousands of scientists, amateur and professional, who've calculated the orbits/timings, because the observations they'll be making depend on it.

The chances that they've all somehow screwed up independently are pretty effing small.  
    This true, NASA is not without failures along the way. However, as far as target acquisition, and celestial location, they seem to be doing alright. I think their maps are as good as anyone else's. I trust them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Also worth remembering that we've been able to predict eclipses for hundreds of years before NASA even existed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Egghead_Ty
    Options

I agree NASA has made mistakes, its space exploration, there's a lot of unknowns.  I'm sure they learn a lot from their mistakes as well.  I was referring more along the lines of predicting solar events such as comets, eclipses, monitoring asteroids/space debris things like that I feel they have a pretty good grasp on.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I agree NASA has made mistakes, its space exploration, there's a lot of unknowns.  I'm sure they learn a lot from their mistakes as well.  I was referring more along the lines of predicting solar events such as comets, eclipses, monitoring asteroids/space debris things like that I feel they have a pretty good grasp on.
    I know, and I agree with you.  I was more responding to @kl8ton than you.
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    NASA doesn't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Geez. Real classy NolaBrew

RIP

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'll be at work. Hoping to get five minutes to step outside. Pretty sure everybody else will be too. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hopefully they are different scientists that claimed all the bull$hit in Al Gore's movie that made him a millionaire.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    It's going to go almost directly over the Jefferson Davis Birthplace Historic Site in Hopkinsville, KY
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I wonder how many commercial flights may be diverting their routes for a few minutes to be in the path of totality.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Some how I lucked out and live in one of the top 5 places in the world for viewing this eclipse, which is Casper, WY.  The city is doing a big festival with a Pink Floyd cover band/ laser light show, beer festival at river park, plus tons more.  Casper alone is expecting 50,000 vistors (our population is roughly 60,000).   So our family stocked up with 2 bags of lump coal, 2 bags of smoking chucks and put in an 4 day order at the local meat market so we can avoid crowds and just stay home grilling on the egg Friday-Monday lol. Here's the 4 day grill menu:  Friday night stuffed jalapeños and smash burgers, Saturday rib eye steaks with double smoked baked potato, Sunday night is deep dish moon (pizza) pies 1 classic pepperoni, the other grilled chicken spinach and alfredo sauce, then Monday is a smoked pork butt for carnita tacos the day of the eclipse.   Safe travels and safe viewing B) to all the fellow eggers this weekend!  

I love Casper. Would move there if it suited the wife. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    nolabrew said:

Too soon

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hopefully they are different scientists that claimed all the bull$hit in Al Gore's movie that made him a millionaire.

thetrim said:
    Yeah Hansen was WAY OFF in the prediction he made of a 0.25 C rise per decade he made back in 1988.  What a kook!
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Options
    Our weekend getaway from Portland. Suppose to be 150,000 people headed to this town of 7,000. This will be a colossal mess - but should make for some interesting pics. We are only going to make someone doesn't claim "squatters" rights.
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Options
    That was supposed to be posted on the OT - NASA tool. My bad. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    "...of the hard."  What's that hard John?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Eclipse of the hard = easy.  Easy cooks.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Just a stupid Vande guy that read the thread.  Disappointed in your lack of humor...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I plan to do my first butt using the Stoker II. I hope your trip is uneventful and you get a great observation of totality Monday 
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Just a stupid Vande guy that read the thread.  Disappointed in your lack of humor...
    LOL Brent!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    nolabrew said:

Too soonNASA was not the cause of this. Parker Seal, the company that provided the faulty of rings, we're the culprits.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    nolabrew said:

Too soonNASA was not the cause of this. Parker Seal, the company that provided the faulty of rings, we're the culprits.
    That's not quite how I remember the conclusion of the report of the Presidential Commission of the Challenger accident. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It was a design failure.  There are better O-rings now, like Viton (sp?).  I have used those in some analytical instruments where there are extremely challenging conditions of temp.

But the design was at fault, mostly the culture, as the problem was known, they measured the "safety factor" completely incorrectly, management over-rode engineering warnings, etc.  Same ol' same ol'. 

Viton probably wouldn't have failed, but the design of the assemblies encouraged the failure to be catastrophic.
    Options
    Yup more a failure of group think.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I was living in Lexington, Kentucky at the time, and it was interesting, because Parker Seal, a major employer there, was heavily scrutinized for the roll they played in the disaster. They later discovered they had a defective product, which, had been designed by them, made by them and supplied by them. There was much to be done throughout the network, the culture, and essentially the entire program.
    For the want of a nail...... 
    The old joke....in the airborne, rest assured, the parachute you need to deploy, in order to land safely, is made by the lowest possible bidder. See you on the ground, one way or another.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I was living in Lexington, Kentucky at the time, and it was interesting, because Parker Seal, a major employer there, was heavily scrutinized for the roll they played in the disaster. They later discovered they had a defective product, which, had been designed by them, made by them and supplied by them. There was much to be done throughout the network, the culture, and essentially the entire program.
    For the want of a nail...... 
    The old joke....in the airborne, rest assured, the parachute you need to deploy, in order to land safely, is made by the lowest possible bidder. See you on the ground, one way or another.
    In the engineering business a lot of decisions are made by commercial people with no technical training, certainly in the UK. None of these people want to make an informed choice, because they don't understand what they are buying, so it's easier to buy the cheapest.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive built some pretty high tech things over the years with orings, high pressure and extremely low vacuum. its usually something stupid that makes them leak like a guy dragging a 10 foot oring across a floor in a clean room thinking nothing of it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it