Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Eclipse of the Hard

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My Beautiful Wife and I, if it will work out for us, will witness the solar eclipse from 14,270 ft ASL, on the highest mountain on the Continental Divide Trail, and the 10th highest in Colorado. It is one of the three main trails in the USA, along with the Appalachian Trail, and the Pacific Coast Trail. We have been on all 3.
    We will be doing water, trail mix, and Jerky, black cherries, boiled eggs, banannas along with other potassium supplements.(it is what you do when you are old and hike.)
    Most of the folks in that area of the C-lo Rockies will be on a mass exodus to Wyoming, just a couple hours from where we will be, for the 100%. We will see it at 98%.
    Our son will see it at 100%, where NASA has mentioned as the best spot to see it in the USA, in Western Kentucky, three and half hours southwest from Louisville. He will be dining on typical male college food (I shudder to imagine).
    Hope everyone has a safe solar eclipse.

Ron....you win!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My Beautiful Wife and I, if it will work out for us, will witness the solar eclipse from 14,270 ft ASL, on the highest mountain on the Continental Divide Trail, and the 10th highest in Colorado. It is one of the three main trails in the USA, along with the Appalachian Trail, and the Pacific Coast Trail. We have been on all 3.
    We will be doing water, trail mix, and Jerky, black cherries, boiled eggs, banannas along with other potassium supplements.(it is what you do when you are old and hike.)
    Most of the folks in that area of the C-lo Rockies will be on a mass exodus to Wyoming, just a couple hours from where we will be, for the 100%. We will see it at 98%.
    Our son will see it at 100%, where NASA has mentioned as the best spot to see it in the USA, in Western Kentucky, three and half hours southwest from Louisville. He will be dining on typical male college food (I shudder to imagine).

Ron....you win!
    A whole lot of ifs going on here, may just end up in the hot tub wearing goofy glasses watching it with Tito's and grapefruit juice.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Ron....you win!
    A whole lot of ifs going on here, may just end up in the hot tub wearing goofy glasses watching it with Tito's and grapefruit juice.
    That ain't a bad way to go! 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Ron....you win!
    I believe that is widely known as WINNING.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Yeah, but due to the fire restrictions in the area, all grilling has to be done in a gasser. I guess there are drawbacks to everything.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Preferred option - hiking in the dark of an eclipse is dangerous!  ;)
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Ron....you win!
    That ain't a bad way to go! 
    Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. The only guarantee is there are no guarantees.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Ron....you win!
    I believe that is widely known as WINNING.
    Packing today, and getting ready to work a show for the radio station tonight. Repping for the Dave Rawlings Machine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. The only guarantee is there are no guarantees.
    Ron.....that is deep.

• YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Ron.....that is deep.
    Getting philosophical in the morning. Read Shakespeare last night. I will shake this off in a minute, as soon as the coffee sets in, then back to Stupid Kentucky Hillbillie.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    We're headed down to Clayton, GA on Friday.  Planning to stay a couple of nights with friends in a mountain home just outside of Lake Rabun.  This area is basically right under the main path of the eclipse.  Reports are they're expecting some ridiculous number of people in the area.  I don't think we'll have any problems heading down on Friday, but getting out might be... interesting.  We might try some back roads up to Asheville/I-40 and then hope the highway isn't too backed up by the time we get there.  

Anyway, I'm bringing the MiniMax and planning on some easy (i.e. not hard) cooks.  At NCBB2, @YukonRon did some phenomenal beef tenderloin sliders with some horseradish.  I might riff on that a little bit Saturday night and use @Eggcelsior 's tiger sauce and throw in some freshly sliced onions.  I'll try to make more than enough so we'll have leftovers to use for a picnic on top of the mountain on Monday for the main event.    We'll probably do some ribeyes Sunday night, but I'm also thinking I could SV some ribs.  We'll be out and about on the lake and such during the day, so I won't have a ton of time to tend the Egg and make sure I don't burn down the mountainside.  That would suck bonobo dong.  

Anyone else traveling over the weekend for the eclipse?  Any BGE cooks planned?  

Oh and I'm sure the usual suspects are laughing at the title of this thread for all the wrong reasons.  I did that on purpose, jerkwads.  
    We were planning on heading over to the viewing party at Rabun Gap Nacoochee School but after reading this and seeing some reports on TV, have about decided watching from the deck with some ribs going on the grill might not be too bad an idea. Got some family coming up from Pensacola so they can be here in the path of totality.

http://accesswdun.com/article/2017/8/570027/gdot-53000-motorists-expected-in-ne-ga-mountains-for-solar-eclipse

Be safe driving here in the mountains. If you have a chance, and have not been there, visit Tallulah Gorge while here. Worth your time IMO. Want a good breakfast or hearty southern dinner? Dillard House, while a little touristy, is good.
    Lots of waterfalls just up the road in Highlands, NC as well.
    Or, just ignore me and enjoy the time with friends in the mountains.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @epcotisbest where are you located? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• epcotisbest
    Options
    We are so far up in the N Georgia woods we don't get the six o'clock news until 7:30. 
    Actually, just a short drive south of Clayton. We are supposed to have about 40 seconds of totality at home, where it is about two and a half minutes up toward Clayton and the centerline of totality.
    I figure maybe staying home and avoiding traffic will be worth giving up a couple of minutes of totality. If our guests, who are coming all the way from Pensacola, really want to go closer to the centerline, then we will, along with everybody else. My fear is we might wind up experiencing the big event while stuck in traffic.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    We are so far up in the N Georgia woods we don't get the six o'clock news until 7:30. 
    This made me laugh out loud this morning.

We are def concerned about all of the people/traffic as well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Larrycg
    Larrycg Posts: 49
    Options
    Actually, just a short drive south of Clayton. We are supposed to have about 40 seconds of totality at home, where it is about two and a half minutes up toward Clayton and the centerline of totality.
    I figure maybe staying home and avoiding traffic will be worth giving up a couple of minutes of totality. If our guests, who are coming all the way from Pensacola, really want to go closer to the centerline, then we will, along with everybody else. My fear is we might wind up experiencing the big event while stuck in traffic.

LOL...  when I was growing up there the TV signal couldnt find its way up into  the mountains... @epcotisbest are you a Native North Georgian or a transplant?

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Also eclipses bring out Chupacabras and Lizard Man.....so there's that.
    http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1310661-south-carolina-warns-lizard-man-sightings-eclipse

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Larrycg said:

LOL...  when I was growing up there the TV signal couldnt find its way up into  the mountains... @epcotisbest are you a Native North Georgian or a transplant?

Been here all of my 57 years. I live about six miles from where I was born, so not exactly a world traveler. Did move down the road a few times as a kid, but I guess that was because my folks got behind on the rent.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Also eclipses bring out Chupacabras and Lizard Man.....so there's that.
    http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1310661-south-carolina-warns-lizard-man-sightings-eclipse

I got relatives over there in Bishopville (Lee County). They are as crazy as lizard man.

• YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Egghead_Ty
    Options
    Some how I lucked out and live in one of the top 5 places in the world for viewing this eclipse, which is Casper, WY.  The city is doing a big festival with a Pink Floyd cover band/ laser light show, beer festival at river park, plus tons more.  Casper alone is expecting 50,000 vistors (our population is roughly 60,000).   So our family stocked up with 2 bags of lump coal, 2 bags of smoking chucks and put in an 4 day order at the local meat market so we can avoid crowds and just stay home grilling on the egg Friday-Monday lol. Here's the 4 day grill menu:  Friday night stuffed jalapeños and smash burgers, Saturday rib eye steaks with double smoked baked potato, Sunday night is deep dish moon (pizza) pies 1 classic pepperoni, the other grilled chicken spinach and alfredo sauce, then Monday is a smoked pork butt for carnita tacos the day of the eclipse.   Safe travels and safe viewing B) to all the fellow eggers this weekend!  
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    That is the one I used. Good website.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Saw this on FB

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Some how I lucked out and live in one of the top 5 places in the world for viewing this eclipse, which is Casper, WY.  The city is doing a big festival with a Pink Floyd cover band/ laser light show, beer festival at river park, plus tons more.  Casper alone is expecting 50,000 vistors (our population is roughly 60,000).   So our family stocked up with 2 bags of lump coal, 2 bags of smoking chucks and put in an 4 day order at the local meat market so we can avoid crowds and just stay home grilling on the egg Friday-Monday lol. Here's the 4 day grill menu:  Friday night stuffed jalapeños and smash burgers, Saturday rib eye steaks with double smoked baked potato, Sunday night is deep dish moon (pizza) pies 1 classic pepperoni, the other grilled chicken spinach and alfredo sauce, then Monday is a smoked pork butt for carnita tacos the day of the eclipse.   Safe travels and safe viewing B) to all the fellow eggers this weekend!  
    Bet the place will go crazy when the cover band plays Brain Damage/Eclipse.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @The_Stache
    I remember the last one. I get it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Towing my smoker to Tugaloo State Park near the Georgia/SC border. Heading up tomorrow and hope to show up at the park before they open to hopefully get a good RV spot. Will be in 2 minutes of Totality there!! Can't wait. Got me a couple racks of beef ribs ready to smoke!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Egghead_Ty
    Options
    Bet the place will go crazy when the cover band plays Brain Damage/Eclipse.
    Oh man that place will be jamming!  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Has anyone checked the numbers on this, or are we relying on one person's calculation on when and where the eclipse is happening?  I would find it hilarious if it was next year or perhaps this year on 8-20 instead of 8-21.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Egghead_Ty
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Has anyone checked the numbers on this, or are we relying on one person's calculation on when and where the eclipse is happening?  I would find it hilarious if it was next year or perhaps this year on 8-20 instead of 8-21.
    Pretty sure NASA doesn't screw up
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I heard it from this dude. He had the goggles and everything. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    I heard it from this dude. He had the goggles and everything. 

How do you like my tie?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky