Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WiFi BBQ Controllers Question - remote control

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    CanDid said:

Why should they have to explain that?
    For consumers like me that are in the market for a +/-$300 controller and are spending time researching the advantages of one controller over the other. It is a question that was easily answered by you twice in a forum, and not anywhere else that I've found, that other consumers may also be looking for. You're an expert on the controller and its features, so it may seem elementary to you. For somebody like me that is looking to get one, it is not.

That wasn't my point.  I don't know if this is true for FB, but if it was my product I wouldn't acknowledge the absence of the damper at all.  If you're setting the standard, why acknowledge something that could be seen as a shortcoming (comparing it to the obsolete competitor)?  So where only a few like yourself may question it, if you make it a marketing point why you do NOT have one, now you draw everyone's attention to it.......you have to explain why and then take a dig at the competition.  Take the high road--don't acknowledge it, thus making the other guys explain why their unit requires one.  That's just how I see it.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'll just throw this out there- all the controllers are made to choke the fire down then keep it barely smoldering by providing puffs of air to a dying fire. This provides perfect temp control but at the cost of dirty, sooty smoke.  
    That has not been my experience with the Flame Boss. Once the the grey smoke clears from the initial light-off, my FB keeps the Egg burning thin and blue, clean as a whistle. 
    I respectfully disagree. I'm a BGE homer but I don't use it for low and slow anymore- with a controller or without. You can make great bbq in a BGE and with a controller but there is no comparison to a live, unrestricted clean burning wood fire when doing low and slow. 
    Truth be told, I haven't used my BGE for any low and slow smokes in a while - I use my Assassin smoker. The BGE is a great cooker, but not a great smoker....and I'm not going to argue stick burner vs any other style of smoker here. 

I stand by my post, though. I've had no problems with sooty, nasty smoke using the FB on my Egg. We agree to disagree.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good call out- I was talking about smoke from wood chunks. 
    You still shouldn't have ANY black smoke coming off of wood.  It should be white until the tars & liquors burn off, then clear when there's only carbon left.  You'll never see black smoke on a wildfire on TV--only white.

I've heard from a lot of folks on the competition circuit that the one shortcoming of the BGE is that they don't get enough smoke.  Because it's so tight at 225F, there just isn't enough O2 to burn enough wood to produce the amount of smoke that they want.  They need something less insulated that will go through more wood.  Sounds backwards, but many the times I've opened my egg after some 20+ hr cooks to find wood chunks still sitting unburned.  For my Midwest palate, low on smoke is fine by me--I'll take all that extra retained moisture anyday. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll just throw this out there- all the controllers are made to choke the fire down then keep it barely smoldering by providing puffs of air to a dying fire. This provides perfect temp control but at the cost of dirty, sooty smoke.  
    That has not been my experience with the Flame Boss. Once the the grey smoke clears from the initial light-off, my FB keeps the Egg burning thin and blue, clean as a whistle. 
    I respectfully disagree. I'm a BGE homer but I don't use it for low and slow anymore- with a controller or without. You can make great bbq in a BGE and with a controller but there is no comparison to a live, unrestricted clean burning wood fire when doing low and slow. 
    Truth be told, I haven't used my BGE for any low and slow smokes in a while - I use my Assassin smoker. The BGE is a great cooker, but not a great smoker....and I'm not going to argue stick burner vs any other style of smoker here. 

I stand by my post, though. I've had no problems with sooty, nasty smoke using the FB on my Egg. We agree to disagree.  :)
    Fair enough and well said. I am really splitting hairs here. I just nerded out on clean smoke a while back and it cost me $1500 for a new smoker :)

I think Kamado cookers are the best all-in-one you can get and you can do really good bbq on them along with many other types of stuff. I also think the controllers are cool and have a purpose

Your Asassin is a great smoker. I've been there and talked to those guys when I was looking at a Vault. Funny dudes. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Fair enough and well said. I am really splitting hairs here. I just nerded out on clean smoke a while back and it cost me $1500 for a new smoker :)

I think Kamado cookers are the best all-in-one you can get and you can do really good bbq on them along with many other types of stuff. I also think the controllers are cool and have a purpose

Your Asassin is a great smoker. I've been there and talked to those guys when I was looking at a Vault. Funny dudes. 

Actually I thought Asassin was built at Pitmaker in Houston. I see they are in GA. My Bad. Have not been to Asassin, but have heard nothing but great things about them
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2017
    Options

Actually I thought Asassin was built at Pitmaker in Houston. I see they are in GA. My Bad. Have not been to Asassin, but have heard nothing but great things about them
    The Assassin has been a real soldier for me. Once I figured it out, I've rolled some great food from it.......money well spent.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry for the hijack- back to regularly scheduled programming!
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hijacks on this forum.....heresy! =)

No hijack here Cen-Tex - good discussion.  :)
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Dammit, thought I had a unique product idea:  Alexa skill to read my Stoker or other devices to me.  Just googled and saw FireBoard has an Alexa skill to tell you the temps.  Good on them!  I hope all the others do the same.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    Dammit, thought I had a unique product idea:  Alexa skill to read my Stoker or other devices to me.  Just googled and saw FireBoard has an Alexa skill to tell you the temps.  Good on them!  I hope all the others do the same.
    The Flame Boss also works with Echo/Alexa.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The Flame Boss also works with Echo/Alexa.
    Oh cool. Thx!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes