Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First cooks, and happy to be here

eznosoweznosow Posts: 10
edited August 2017 in Poultry
My family (praise be to them) bought me a large Egg for the big 5-0 in early June and I've been meaning to post some documentation of my first cooks. It has been a blast, and I'm super grateful for all the advice on this forum that got me started. I've cooked comfortably and happily on a good ole' Weber kettle for a long time, but I didn't know what I was missing. Anyway: started with a spatchcocked Peruvian chicken that I've cooked many times before, moved on to fish and a Father's Day porchetta (!) and pizza (which was a revelation). Funnily enough, I forgot to document my first try at ribs! Which came out great, of course. Really enjoying the versatility and predictability of the Egg. 

Comments

• Welcome to the forum. Looks like you know your way around the kitchen from looking at those beautiful cooks.

Hopefully one of the more helpful guys around here can help you post the pictures instead of a link/thumbnail. 
    Snellville, GA

• Zeiger88Zeiger88 Posts: 132
    Everything looks great. 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,771
    edited August 2017
    Welcome aboard an enjoy the journey.  Above all, continue to have fun.  As above, you have the cook/kitchen definitely sorted out-just adding a new rig to the arsenal.  Most eggcellent.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,485
    Welcome aboard.  Great cooks there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Welcome. Great looking cooks. 

Little Rock, AR

• leemschuleemschu Posts: 440
    Welcome 
  • SBGonzoSBGonzo Posts: 135
    Well done and welcome! Egg On!
  • vb4677vb4677 Posts: 435
    Killer cooks!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    Large BGE, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a couple of gas smokers...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    Welcome! Nice cooks. I'm still working on getting porcheta to come out the way I want. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • You're gonna do just fine here. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• eznosoweznosow Posts: 10
    edited August 2017
    SciAggie said:
    Welcome! Nice cooks. I'm still working on getting porcheta to come out the way I want. 
    Well, my butcher did all the real work on that (for a considerable but worthwhile sum). I cooked it steady at 315 or 320 for a few hours. Pulled it at a fairly low temp: 115 or 120 before cranking the Egg up to 500 to crisp the skin and come up to desired final temp. Worked great. The fat on the belly is intense and also delicious. 
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 3,790
    Great first post!  Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,242
    Right out of the gate.
    Dude worthy. Therefore:
    Dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,738
    Very nice. Where are you?  
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• bjeansbjeans Posts: 190
    Wow, beautiful. And first cooks! I might get close to those at my 10,000th. You know grilling. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,031
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• eznosoweznosow Posts: 10
    Mickey said:
    Very nice. Where are you?  
    In Oakland, California, which explains the lucky access to fig leaves in my yard for those salmon fillets...
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,139
    Welcome Brother!!!  Off to an outstanding start!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"