Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @HeavyG I came across that recently, and it’s mind blowing when it sinks in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If anyone is interested in a little bit about the archaeology behind the ancient yeast here ya go...

Again...click on the graphic to take you to Twitter and then click on the "show this thread" link (curse you Twitter!)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Not gonna run out of yeast here. And it continues to spread to friends and coworkers. Good little buggers! 

I’m mostly making the same loaf these days. 1kg loaf, 100g starter, 65 or 68% hydration, KA AP flour, 7g salt. I’m using the stand mixer to get it all together, but I find it benefits from some hand kneading or stretches/folds. 

@caliking my wife tossed together some bread pudding last week with bread leftovers, man was that tasty. We had some bourbon barrel aged maple syrup in the pantry, went great on top. Vanilla ice cream and a glass of bourbon and all was well for a bit. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    That's a wonderful loaf, @blind99

I've been thinking about SD french toast, which I hope to make happen soon. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Woke my stater up this week, sourdough Bierocks AKA Runza

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    My first focaccia

Sun, flowers, caterpillar, grass and dirt.
    Tomato, red onion, onion tops, mushroom, rosemary, olives, black lava salt, coarse Mediterranean salt and everything bagel seasoning.
    Blake - you absolutely fvcking win.

That is the best bread art I've ever seen. I'd be scared to eat it, because it looks so good. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    My first focaccia

Tomato, red onion, onion tops, mushroom, rosemary, olives, black lava salt, coarse Mediterranean salt and everything bagel seasoning.

Off da chizzle fo shizzle

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @caliking & @ColtsFan Thanks guys!
     It'll be consumed 😁
    I'll post a post bake pick in a bit.  Preheating LG for tonight's beef enchiladas🤤
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    My first focaccia

Insane.  That is awesome.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Definitely one of the nicer "garden foccacia" I've seen over the last couple of weeks.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks so much @HeavyG Cooking and baking keeps my sanity 🙌.
    I liked the look the black lava salt gave around the grass (rosemary).
    And the coarse kosher salt gave a nice texture to the crust. I do believe I will probably drop the salt off by about 50% on the next run. But overall as a first-time I like how it turned out.

Here's the finished product.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome Blake #overachiever =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Dang! Brag on you a little and you’re like, “Hold my beer...”
    Freaking awesome Blake. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Anyone have a good basic sandwich loaf recipe for a 9x5 pan? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    caliking said

Blake - you absolutely fvcking win. 

👆

Options
    Showed my wife Blake’s focaccia. She said I think I saw that already on Facebook. 

#BlakeWinsTheInternetAgain
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @blind99 Thanks buddy.  On Facebook?🤔 I posted it on my IG account after I posted here but, not on FB yet.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn @NPHuskerFL  Unreal! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    re: my first foccacia 
    I didn't get around to slicing it until just now. The crumb is soft and not what I would consider open but is nice to put butter on. The flavor is unreal. And depending on where you get the slice the flavor varies. I really like how the herbs and the veggies permeated into the loaf. I will definitely do this again.
    Again... I think the only thing I would have just is the amount of finishing salt. Other than that I'm pleased with how it turned out all the way around.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thank you Matt✊
    @Mattman3969
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @milesvdustin the attached recipe has been a favorite in my family since 1976. It has a soft texture, even crumb, delicious butter flavor and slices easily.  It’s conveniently made in a food processor.  My go to bread has been a more healthy honey-whole wheat loaf but your inquiry has prompted me to pull the ingredients for this. 

IL 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @milesvdustin, you might as well have options!  Here is my go to honey whole wheat loaf. It’s just a great old fashioned sandwich loaf.  
    IL 
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I am going to attempt sourdough cinnamon rolls this weekend.  Any suggestions on % of starter?  I was thinking 33%.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    I am going to attempt sourdough cinnamon rolls this weekend.  Any suggestions on % of starter?  I was thinking 33%.  
    I would say that will simply determine the time in bulk proofing. I usually use 20% starter in my bread. I've just noticed that works well time-wise. I wouldn't think making cinnamon rolls would be different.
    I don't see a problem with 33%
    paging @NPHuskerFL
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    Tried something different for me. 50% WW with kefir and TJ Everything But The Bagel seasoning. 

This was REALLY good!! Tangy, crusty, somewhat softer crumb than my usual SD. Tasted great with butter and a slather of homemade citrus vanilla marmalade. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Looks good my friend. I was watching Jacques Pepin last night and he said his favorite thing to eat - out of all the things he can cook - is fresh bread and good butter with a glass of wine. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    Tried something different for me. 50% WW with kefir and TJ Everything But The Bagel seasoning. 

This was REALLY good!! Tangy, crusty, somewhat softer crumb than my usual SD. Tasted great with butter and a slather of homemade citrus vanilla marmalade. 
    Bombdiggity @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Bombdiggity @caliking
    Quoting just because “bombdiggity”
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking Looks good my friend. I was watching Jacques Pepin last night and he said his favorite thing to eat - out of all the things he can cook - is fresh bread and good butter with a glass of wine. 

+1. I could even do without the wine. 

My usual MO for bread ends up with me  baking after everyone’s gone to bed, and I get the first slice in the morning. This was one of those times that I actually got to slice into the loaf while it was still warm. It’s a rare treat !