Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yesterday's Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls (I wrote a new recipe for these yesterday)... I really liked the subtle heat from the introduction of Med/Hot Red Hatch Chile.  I was thoroughly impressed of how easily I was able to release  all of the  rolls from the Challenger Breadware Pan.  The homemade cream cheese frosting + home cured bacon + toasted GA pecans + thyme really brought these home.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Oh. My. Goodness. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Man, those are gorgeous. You just left the rest of us wondering what happened as you went to the next level. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @NPHuskerFL Man, those are gorgeous. You just left the rest of us wondering what happened as you went to the next level. 
    Thanks @caliking 🙌
    @SciAggie Much appreciated Gary. I have lots of goals I'm aiming for so I'm certainly not even thinking about pumping the brakes yet. 🔥👊

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Made these yesterday also....
    Mini sourdough batards for some New England (Connecticut) Style Butter Lobstah Rolls with kettle chips.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Options
    “Pumping the brakes” is not something people around here are known for. This is more of a “hold my beer” kind of crowd.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looking real good there @NPHuskerFL.  👍
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    Options
    Raichlen’s gonna steal that lobster roll pic =)

• SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:s
    Raichlen’s gonna steal that lobster roll pic =)
    I know, right? I feel like he just upped the ante on the “hold my beer” philosophy...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    “Pumping the brakes” is not something people around here are known for. This is more of a “hold my beer” kind of crowd.
     Well said.
    @nphuskerfl keep it up and thanks for sharing.  kind of jaw dropping to see where you're going.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks @blind99
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,784
    Options
    caliking said:
    Tragedy has struck. I pulled my starter out of the fridge for baking today, and inadvertently microwaved it. 🤦🏾‍♂️
    WTF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    caliking said:
    Tragedy has struck. I pulled my starter out of the fridge for baking today, and inadvertently microwaved it. 🤦🏾‍♂️
    WTF
    Don’t remind me. The wound is still fresh. 

Tub with starter was right next to an identical tub of oatmeal. Grabbed the wrong one and nuked it. Opened the microwave when it beeped, then stood there in silence, in awe of my own idiocy. 

But found out that it takes more than microwaves to kill off starter :)

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    caliking said: 

Well, I’m on my final day and the rise is nowhere it was on the first day.  It raised from the 1 quart line to 1.5 in 24 hours.  It did raise and a is somewhat bubbly so crossing fingers that it is ok.  I gave it its first feeding of AP flour this morning.

Microwaves might be safe but I suck 🤷‍♂️

Or I could blame the cat 🤔

Options
    caliking said:
    lkapigian said:
    caliking said:
    WTF
    Don’t remind me. The wound is still fresh. 

Tub with starter was right next to an identical tub of oatmeal. Grabbed the wrong one and nuked it. Opened the microwave when it beeped, then stood there in silence, in awe of my own idiocy. 

When Godzilla starts roaming around your kitchen, don't come crying to us.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    Options
    paqman said:
    caliking said: 

Well, I’m on my final day and the rise is nowhere it was on the first day.  It raised from the 1 quart line to 1.5 in 24 hours.  It did raise and a is somewhat bubbly so crossing fingers that it is ok.  I gave it its first feeding of AP flour this morning.

Microwaves might be safe but I suck 🤷‍♂️

Or I could blame the cat 🤔
    I think you’ll be fine. Keep up with the feedings and see how it goes. 

If it starts smelling like acetone, don’t dump it out. Acidity with pineapple juice and you should be able to get it back on track. 

• paqman
    Options
    It will survive! (I think 🤔)

2 days in a row that the levain doesn’t deflate after raising above the 2 qt mark.  That’s a good sign I guess.

I have 3 questions:
    -Can I use the levain anytime during the day or do I have to wait a specific time after feeding it?
    -How long after feeding it do I have to wait before storing it in the fridge?
    -What kind of container do you use to store it in the fridge?

Yesterday morning (1 qt mark)

Yesterday evening (above the 2 qt mark)

This morning (still above the 2 qt mark)

Options
    Don’t look at me for “best practice”, as I’ve gained a (deserved) reputation for starter abuse.

My starter is stored in a 16oz deli container in the fridge, because it’s easy to mix in that container. It gets fed every 2 weeks or so. 

I pull the starter from the fridge and make the levain with equal parts starter, flour, and water, shooting for the levain to be about 20% by weight of the flour used for the dough. Mix it up and let it do it’s thing for 4-8hrs depending on what my bread schedule is. 

Works well for me. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @paqman That's a lot of starter for a home baker. I do quite a bit myself but, I still even stowe my 1qt. glass container in my reach-in cooler (refrigerator).  I bake at least 2-3 loaves a week. I like using mine at various stages. Most of the time I'd say use the starter after feeding it but, use it before it peaks out.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • paqman
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I was following the “recipe” Flour Water Salt Yeast, my intention is to scale down but I need to figure out what container to use.  A masson jar?

Options
    paqman said:
    @NPHuskerFL I was following the “recipe” Flour Water Salt Yeast, my intention is to scale down but I need to figure out what container to use.  A masson jar?
    I keep mine in a mason jar.  one early lesson i learned that when its on the counter or after feed the top needs to be barely screwed on or it doesn't become as active.  When storing in the fridge i screw the lid on all the way.  I feed mine 1 to 2 times a week depending on baking schedule.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    on the subject of feeding. I left some in my fridge, untouched since Thanksgiving. I finally took it out, dumped an inch of water off the top, scraped most in the garbage and put 100g of water and 100g of whole wheat flour in it and left it on the counter. I've done that, Monday, tuesday and today, wednesday it's now back to being a beautiful bubbly funky smelling wonder!!

So don't worry too much about feeding all that regularly. It's stronger than it seems.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • paqman
    Options
    Scaling down a bit, planning to use some of the starter tomorrow so I transferred some to a mason jar with the lid not too tightened.  I’ll keep this one at room temperature.  

Also transferred some to a plastic container that I’ll keep it in the fridge.

Keeping this one at room temperature:

Keeping this one in the fridge:

Options
    @paqman nothing wrong with having the large container like you have it just seemed like Overkill unless you're trying to be a full-fledged Bakery. Honestly I have been toning down my use of levain and going toward a more tartine style approach. None-the-less this is the container I use and I have a backup so I'm able to just pour from one container to the other so I can clean it.

Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jaw with Blue Lid, 33-3/4-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00471MP42/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r0ZoEb1AJ8YGD
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    caliking said:
    Hoster05 said:
    Has anyone in the group made sourdough bagels?
    Not yet. I’ve made bagels once before, using commercial yeast. They turned out pretty good. 

I’d probably start with 55-60% hydration, 20% starter?

this seems like a good recipe to try:
    https://www.baking-sense.com/2019/05/16/homemade-sourdough-bagels/
    Tried the baking sense recipe and baked them this afternoon.  They are more like bagel chips haha.  They had a nice rise but for some reason when I boiled them they went flat.  I was being real delicate but all volume was lost.  Back to the drawing board.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • caliking
    Options
    @Hoster05 - I'll bet they were tasty bagel chips though :)

What flour did you use? I'm thinking that bread flour may be best, because of the higher protein content. Also, kneading the dough more ( to develop the gluten more fully) may help?

I haven't tried that particular recipe, so kinda spitballing here.

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    @caliking I used unbleached bread flour.  The dough is stiff after mixing so you may be on to something with needing to really kneed it and fold it to get that gluten strength.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • caliking
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    @caliking I used unbleached bread flour.  The dough is stiff after mixing so you may be on to something with needing to really kneed it and fold it to get that gluten strength.  
    It took me quite a while to understand how letting the flour hydrate, kneading, and folding affect bread structure. But that's what makes it a dynamic and fun process.

• paqman
    Options
    I made an experiment with some levain that I was about to trow in the garbage yesterday 😳😳😳

Looks good outside, I’ll see how it tastes tonight.  It may not be edible because I totally ball parked the recipe...

Options
    @paqman - love the color of the crust. You get nice caramel notes in the crust flavor when it turns out like that, but mine don't always turn out that way :)