Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best meat ever

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,844
That's what my daughter said anyway after taking a bite of a pork chip.  She's 22, a college graduate, and a foodie in training. Nobody disagreed.  

These were chops we butchered with @20stone, @caliking, and @pigfisher.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker, was unable to participate so a buddy of mine helped out and we purchase most of Centex's share. Yesterday we got together and cooked some of the chops and sausage (Tejas and Italian).  Details can be found here. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205964/aw-ss2-another-sausage-fest-in-the-graj-mahal/p1

We rubbed the chops with McCormick's Brown Sugar Bourbon rub.  Just roasted them until they were 140 internal. 

Sorry, I didn't get pics after the cook.  Hopefully the marbling of the chops comes through in the pics. Having a 50% mangalitsa pig seems to be a good idea. 

Thanks for looking. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I am glad it went over well. 

Now we just need to get your SO won over to the joy that is DIY dirty hippy pork
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It is some good swine. Sampled the venison sausage last week and it was terrific. So big thanks to Scott2. 

I did up one of those chops on a rare occasion when I got to lunch at home. SV for a couple of hours then seared on the BS. Farkin deeelishus. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @caliking, I should have stolen that pic from you and posted it as my own in the original post.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Tremendous looking chop!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wait a minute.....you Texas folk are venturing into the pork? Just kidding of course....that is a great looking chop. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wait a minute.....you Texas folk are venturing into the pork? Just kidding of course....that is a great looking chop. 
    "Venturing" would be a gross understatement...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's right. We're "20stoning" into pork. Which is to say that we're in over our heads but just don't realize it. 

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    That's right. We're "20stoning" into pork. Which is to say that we're in over our heads but just don't realize it. 
    We are buried in pork, but cutting our way out, one chop at a time, and learning a lot along the way.  We are still in for ~1,000 lbs on 12 legs, plus a few full freezers
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Personally, I'm out of chops at this point.   However, we do have a tenderloin, some shoulder meat for a low and slow, and a fair amount of sausage.

San Antonio, TX

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Nice brother! That chop looks pretty good!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @leemschu

San Antonio, TX