Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daughters (8) first go at steaks on her new grill.

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
 Well just like the title says, it was her first try it steaks and she did it on her very own grill! She was so excited today when she got home from school and saw the box sitting in the garage. She called me repeatedly until I made it out of work, and when we cut the ties and let her open it up she almost cried. So she asked can I make the steaks on my own grill tonight daddy,  I couldn't say no.  So we assembled, which was really nothing took it out back filled it with a small amount of charcoal what it with the wax starter cube and let it come up to 500°. I told her the importance of burping her new toy, is the flashback and really get you. She took her time put the steaks on, and waited for them to come do a finish. I've attached a few photos as I'm a very proud papa. I know it's not green, and I may not be posting anymore of her on this forum but darn it I was excited and wanted to show all of you with my little girl can do.
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Attagirl!!

That is awesome.
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @Spaightlabs

• ryantt
    Options
    Thanks brothe @bgebrent, hate to say it but she cooks better than I do!  Hope you guys do t mind the Joe Jr post, I know it's an egg run group.  

• ryantt
    Options
    She's asking about likes lol, she's worried because her chicken did so well.  I told her no worries, it's about the food and fun not likes.   With that said, it's an encouragement to see such nice comments on her last post and this one. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Looks like she can already outcook a lot of folks. Great memories for both of you. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    That's so awesome! Steaks look great!
    LBGE
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Cool beans, enjoy.   My Dad always told me to hold these moments close because they would be gone in the blink of a eye.  I didn't really understand until my daughter grauated from college. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• DialSquare
    DialSquare Posts: 34
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    A natural right there.  Congrats on the continued expansion of her cooking enjoyment.  Nailed that cook.  Just continue to grow the enthusiasm.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Feel good post of the day! This is exactly why I always say, it's about the lifestyle and good BBQ people - not about green or red (or any other colour for that matter). 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is great on many levels. It's great she has the interest and desire to want to do this. It's wonderful that you are supporting her and allowing her to do something that excites her. With your support she will grow into a young lady that is not afraid to take on challenges and pursue interesting things. AND you get great food marinated in her love. 
    Oh, papa - she's got you now. And you thought this hobby was wallet genocide...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Great post. I never thought about the Jr. being a kid sized grill, but looks perfect for a father/daughter activity, grilling side by side. Teach her the basics and how to be safe with it and you will have a lifelong grilling partner. No kids here, but if we did, I would follow your lead. I bet you both inspire others on here to do the same thing.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Agreed on post if the day!! very very cool!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    that's fantastic! 
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words for her.  She's just happy you guys liked her cooking.   She's so excited to show all of you what she's going to do next.  Thank goodness she doesn't know how to log in we may never talk again!!!!! She's be to busy for her old dad, posting her creations.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ryantt said:
     Well just like the title says, it was her first try it steaks and she did it on her very own grill! She was so excited today when she got home from school and saw the box sitting in the garage. She called me repeatedly until I made it out of work, and when we cut the ties and let her open it up she almost cried. So she asked can I make the steaks on my own grill tonight daddy,  I couldn't say no.  So we assembled, which was really nothing took it out back filled it with a small amount of charcoal what it with the wax starter cube and let it come up to 500°. I told her the importance of burping her new toy, is the flashback and really get you. She took her time put the steaks on, and waited for them to come do a finish. I've attached a few photos as I'm a very proud papa. I know it's not green, and I may not be posting anymore of her on this forum but darn it I was excited and wanted to show all of you with my little girl can do.
    Outstanding Expierence.......thanks for sharing. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That is awesome. Steak looks perfect, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ryantt
    Options
    @northGAcock thanks for letting me, well her show you what we've learned from the group.  

@StillH2OEgger, these were the best steaks I've ever had, and not just because it was her first time cooking them.  She was so dang cute out there with what use to me my thermoworks MK4, she's claimed it.  Waiting to pull the steaks off, she kept asking why aren't they done yet!!!! I'm hungry  =)

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Outstanding!!   What a lucky young lady and father!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ryantt
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel yep what a lucky father for sure.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    @ryantt

Very cool that she shares your passion and obviously has a talent for it. Post of the day my arse, you win the Internet tonight. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    Options
    Very cool.  My 6 year old son wants to learn how to use the Blackstone.  Moments like that make life special 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @ryantt Just a  couple of questions. Where are the other 7 daughters?  Why are your eggs red on the outside and more importantly why are they white on the inside?   Just kidding.  Great post. You should be proud. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Absolutely priceless! She needs a forum handle for her future cooks.
    Snellville, GA

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Man that's great. I got a 3 year old and she loves to watch me cook on the egg. I hope one day she will want her own grill. 
  • ryantt
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @td66snrf I had a green one in the one photo lol.  I'll make sure she gets that new one good and black like my other cookers.  I'm hoping she wants to try something this weekend.  

Her great uncle and great he is is going to make a table and get it to her by Friday.  So we've got to come up with something interns of design.   Thinking a 2ft by 4ft table opening in the middle just dont know how tall to have him make it.