Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Racing COTA in May!!!! Chump Car. Austin. Someone please cook me some BBQ....

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
....or I'll be forced to wait in line at Franklyn's.

Here's the story... I filled in for a friend of mine on the Nucking Futs race team in 24 hrs of Lemons.  This was at MSR in Houston.   Fun as hell.

They need another stand-in, my buddy called me up.  Paid all my fees, renewed my license...ready to race.

Never been to COTA, but I hear it's a great track.  Formula 1 great.

The team sold the old Miata and started building a new car.  BMW E30 ('87 325is). 

I can't divulge the $$ spent, but I'm told it's going to be a fun car to drive, and that we won't be very competitive because we'll probably be doing penalty laps for a while.  But fun to drive, and fast lap times.

I talked to Cen-Tex...looking at options for couch surfing for a couple of days.  He has a friend in the race.  Small world.

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Looking forward to the pictures! 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'm guessing there isn't much left of that car. 
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm guessing there isn't much left of that car. 
    Interior - if it burns, has no structural or functional purpose in a race and has weight, comes out.  Need to make it light, room to weld in safety stuff like the cage, fire suppression system, seat, etc.

Suspension, brakes, wheels are done.  Can't show those pictures. 

Next up: drivetrain

Little nervous about racing a newly built car.  It could blow up on the first lap and make that lap costly.  Good thing most of the team members are mechanical engineers and grease monkeys.

We blew the diff on the test and tune in the last race, found one in a junkyard and put it in at night in the freezing rain. 

God, I love the smell of high octane gasoline in the morning.
    Options
    Options
    Don't know if you're planning a stop in Houston, but mi casa, es su casa.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I run high octane in the dirt bike and you are right it's hard to beat that smell anytime.  That race is going to be a blast. Be safe!
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    Don't know if you're planning a stop in Houston, but mi casa, es su casa.
    Thanks Cali!  I'm probably going to drive through on the way there, but maybe I can stop and say hi on the way back....
    Options
    When is the race?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Are y'all building it for the lemons class or the spec e30 class??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That's going to be a blast!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This post made me happy.  Thanks for posting and sharing @nolaegghead
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    You may want to keep the horn in working condition, just in case a door gets in your way.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Sounds like a good time. Have fun out there. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You one bad azz dude Nola!  Sounds so fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That will be an absolute blast!!  I've always wanted to try something like that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pretty cool!  Let me just say that I have been a passenger in Nola's car when he was driving about as fast as he could (aka the way he normally drives), and I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong here... ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Are y'all building it for the lemons class or the spec e30 class??
    It's Chump car/Lemons spec.

@YukonRon

May 12-May 14
    CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS: Double 8, $1800
    "ChumpCar World Series at Circuit of The Americas"
    Entrant List
    Download Supplemental Rules and Event Info

Options
    Pretty cool!  Let me just say that I have been a passenger in Nola's car when he was driving about as fast as he could (aka the way he normally drives), and I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong here... ;)
    They say it is much safer than a daily commute in Aleppo.
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds super fun. My mom used to own an 84 318i back in the day. Fun little coupe. Nice and light with rear wheel drive. Not so good for winter driving. Looking forward to your updates 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Here's the story... I filled in for a friend of mine on the Nucking Futs race team in 24 hrs of Lemons.  This was at MSR in Houston.   Fun as hell.

They need another stand-in, my buddy called me up.  Paid all my fees, renewed my license...ready to race.

The team sold the old Miata and started building a new car.  BMW E30 ('87 325is). 

I can't divulge the $$ spent, but I'm told it's going to be a fun car to drive, and that we won't be very competitive because we'll probably be doing penalty laps for a while.  But fun to drive, and fast lap times.

I talked to Cen-Tex...looking at options for couch surfing for a couple of days.  He has a friend in the race.  Small world.

I'll make the BBQ and bring it over. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    sounds fun, if you need any tips on safely rolling a vehicle ...... =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    52 teams on the COTA track at the same time?

That
    Will
    Be
    Epic.
    Gittin' there...
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You are going to have a blast!! 

My first BMW was a '82 e30 318i. I think it was an '82...  inherited it from my grandmother. Then moved on to an e46 M3, then a 335 e90, and my wife now has a F25 x3.  I really like how these cars drive. Interior is really lacking imo and needs an overhaul to get updated, but I love the way they drive, and after all, that is what is most important.

Have a great time!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    52 teams on the COTA track at the same time?

That
    Will
    Be
    Epic.
    There were over 80 teams registered for my last Lemons race.  At any given time probably 15 cars were broken and a few never made it on the track.  Spent the whole time dropping in a new engine. 

Spread out over 2.5-3 miles of track, it's not as crowded as you'd think.  The slower cars are easy to pass.
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    You are going to have a blast!! 

My first BMW was a '82 e30 318i. I think it was an '82...  inherited it from my grandmother. Then moved on to an e46 M3, then a 335 e90, and my wife now has a F25 x3.  I really like how these cars drive. Interior is really lacking imo and needs an overhaul to get updated, but I love the way they drive, and after all, that is what is most important.

Have a great time!
    They make great cars (except for the 7 series).  We're on our second X3.  Used to have an old E3.
    Options
    Image result for rolled over lemons car
    Options

I'll make the BBQ and bring it over. 
    Right on!  If your kids are into it, they always take volunteers to work around the track....
    Options
    You said you would see the funny side eventually ..........
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

Man, this line had me rolling.....

"Interior - if it burns, has no structural or functional purpose in a race and has weight, comes out. "

Reminds me of a lowrider some neighborhood punk had a few years ago.  Stripped to the bones with the "pooter pipe" on the a$$ end....  He had a sticker on the door on the passenger side that read, "No Fat Chicks, Car Will Drag"

Have fun, NOLA.  That looks like it'll be a blast!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!