Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komodo Kamado Super Big Bad 42"

Options
nolan8v
nolan8v Posts: 400
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
Has anyone seen this in person yet?
"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
Chris Rose 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Haven't seen one in person myself but have read on a different forum about the fellow that got one of the first ones.

They are in full production now but for some reason are not yet showing up on their website. If I remember correctly the price tag is around $10K.

Here's the link to that thread in case anyone wants to see some pix of the "unboxing" -

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/32839-42-serious-big-bad-komodo-kamado-unboxing/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    That is one ginormous cooker, holy crap. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    @HeavyG

Try this link for the specs and pricing:
    http://komodokamado.com/collections/42-serious-bad-boy

This is a thing of beauty.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That would look better with a whole pig on it.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Man that thing would eat up a lot of Cowboy charcoal  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    That last picture is great!

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit -  time to buy the Cowboy right now-deep discount at least thru the local Costco.  You could save enough to justify the new rig.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Around $10,000 shipped. Or $268.26/month. :smiley:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I've honestly never understood the appeal of these things, except for folks who have more money than they know what to do with.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I've honestly never understood the appeal of these things, except for folks who have more money than they know what to do with.
    Yes, you can get a whole yard full of great BBQ equipment for the money.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    @HeavyG

Try this link for the specs and pricing:
    http://komodokamado.com/collections/42-serious-bad-boy

This is a thing of beauty.
    I guess Dennis needs to remind his webteam to add a link to their main page and drop down menu.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Most kettle guys I know wonder the same thing about BGE owners. :)

I certainly admire and respect the design/engineering/materials/craftsmanship of the KK's.

Never have to deal with rusted parts, cracked parts, loose bands, dome slamming shut. No need to go buy things like a KAB or multi-level grid system or Smokeware style cap.

One other benefit of the new 42" is you can safely and worry free tie your dog up to it since the damn thing weighs 3/4 of a ton.

Certainly they are the priciest kamado option but even their new 42" @  $10K is still a few thousand dollars less than the least expensive Kalamazoo gas grill.

Who the hell pays $13K - $26K for a GAS grill? :)

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Wish I had money to burn and I would add a KK to my arsenal.  I to admire the precession and craftsmanship of the KK.  Unfortunately, I have to put my twins through college starting in 2018 so the KK will just be a dream.....Oh well, back to my large BGE.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Wish I had money to burn and I would add a KK to my arsenal.  I to admire the precession and craftsmanship of the KK.  Unfortunately, I have to put my twins through college starting in 2018 so the KK will just be a dream.....Oh well, back to my large BGE.  
    There's a first world problem, for sure.   =)
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Yes, you can get a whole yard full of great BBQ equipment for the money.
    Good point, my 13 were less than a third of that.
    Beautiful cooker though.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I certainly admire and respect the design/engineering/materials/craftsmanship of the KK's.

Never have to deal with rusted parts, cracked parts, loose bands, dome slamming shut. No need to go buy things like a KAB or multi-level grid system or Smokeware style cap.

One other benefit of the new 42" is you can safely and worry free tie your dog up to it since the damn thing weighs 3/4 of a ton.

Certainly they are the priciest kamado option but even their new 42" @  $10K is still a few thousand dollars less than the least expensive Kalamazoo gas grill.

Steve Raichlen followers.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @4Runner - You do have the college fund money to burn.  Unless the rules have changed, if you are a responsible parent and have saved to help with the college expenses, you get the short end of the stick.  Should you manage to fence or liquidate assets and drive down your net worth, colleges will throw free money your way.   
    So jump while you have the chance.  The college $$ game is quite a racket. (I didn't do the above either but quickly learned how it is played, no twins but two thru college.  Fortunately no over-lap, one right behind the other.)  Off soap-box and apologize for the hi-jack.
    Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

Steve Raichlen followers.
    Makes the Memphis look like a bargain. Plus you will need a reinforced 12" slab to set it on. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Never understood the gas grill thing, I can do that indoors without the rain / cold.  The Egg does something different and does it well. It's worth standing outside, even in the winter, for Egged food.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @4Runner - You do have the college fund money to burn.  Unless the rules have changed, if you are a responsible parent and have saved to help with the college expenses, you get the short end of the stick.  Should you manage to fence or liquidate assets and drive down your net worth, colleges will throw free money your way.   
    So jump while you have the chance.  The college $$ game is quite a racket. (I didn't do the above either but quickly learned how it is played, no twins but two thru college.  Fortunately no over-lap, one right behind the other.)  Off soap-box and apologize for the hi-jack.
    Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Please go on...my KK might not be a dream after all.  :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    That last picture is great!

Welcome to my world *sigh*
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I guess you could sell a kidney, if you just have to have one ! That would definitely put a damper on the beer drinking though !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.