Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official NC Butt Blast 2017 Thread - April 22, 2017

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,002
    Options
    John you bringing some?

I probably can.  I just posted that pic because we're four days away, and I know we have some Bourbon fans coming.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    John you bringing some?

I probably can.  I just posted that pic because we're four days away, and I know we have some Bourbon fans coming.  
    I will bring some vanilla infused bourbon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    John you bringing some?

Most likely you don't need to as there will be 100% more adult beverages than we could all drink in a week!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2017
    Options
    John you bringing some?

Most likely you don't need to as there will be 100% more adult beverages than we could all drink in a week!
    I think you vastly underestimate this crowd Jim.  I am disappointed in you.  ;)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well started my prep work for the BB. Harvested about a gallon of fresh squeezed  Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. It will be available with Tito's out of the back of my Outback Bar. Available after Bloody's of course. Remember, it is important to build a solid healthy base before moving to the burbone slushies. 
    You guys be drinking your bourbon while I will be taking care of your ladies. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    General question to the masters who will be in attendance:  if I bring a uncured pork belly from Costco, will someone show me how to do a good cook with it other than bacon? I have tried a few different methods, but have not what I have considered success with anything. I figure this might be the perfect opportunity given the circumstances. Let me know.  I will be happy to pick up the belly and any ingredients needed. I want to learn the technique and I figure someone here might be willing to share/instruct. 
    S2S, 

Bring it on.  Last year I did a char sui pork belly taco.  I thought it was pretty good, though I didn't cook whole.  I cut them into strips.  Cooking is the same though really.  

See here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194195/nc-butt-blast-documenting-the-atrocities/p8

NOLA will be there to assist and is probably well versed with it than I.  

In regards to the campground.  There's a code folks can provide you to come and go.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Quick Question:

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with “Kitchen & Company” store in Asheville.  They carry all kinds of outdoor grilling stuff.  Website shows they have Rockwood, Wicked Good, FOGO and all kinds of accessories, rubs and sauces.

I’m thinking about stopping in if it’s worth it.  

Couple neat places.  Note that @UTAsports, who is helping A LOT for BB 2017 carries Rockwood and has Dizzy Pig, John Henry, and Meat Church stuff.  He's ramping up his offerings too such as @tjv items (Ceramic Grill Store / Tom ).  

Not discouraging your stop by, do that by all means.  

There's a place in Mooresville called the Grill Doctor (I think) that has a lot of stuff too.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Well started my prep work for the BB. Harvested about a gallon of fresh squeezed  Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. It will be available with Tito's out of the back of my Outback Bar. Available after Bloody's of course. Remember, it is important to build a solid healthy base before moving to the burbone slushies. 
    You guys be drinking your bourbon while I will be taking care of your ladies. ;)

I have two hands one for a Bloody and one for Grapefruit & Tito's! then a slushy or two or!!!!!!!!  Keep up the good work. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    General question to the masters who will be in attendance:  if I bring a uncured pork belly from Costco, will someone show me how to do a good cook with it other than bacon? I have tried a few different methods, but have not what I have considered success with anything. I figure this might be the perfect opportunity given the circumstances. Let me know.  I will be happy to pick up the belly and any ingredients needed. I want to learn the technique and I figure someone here might be willing to share/instruct. 
    I think the master when it comes to this kind of thing is probably @nolaegghead, and I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you what he knows.  
    I'm bring some SV Berkshire pork belly that uses a Japanese marinade I found on Serious Eats(buta no Kakuni). It's in the SV now and I'm going to grill it on Friday night.

We could do a slow cook then sear with a savory half and a sweet half after marinating Friday night
    * with yours, that is
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I think the master when it comes to this kind of thing is probably @nolaegghead, and I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you what he knows.  
    I'm bring some SV Berkshire pork belly that uses a Japanese marinade I found on Serious Eats(buta no Kakuni). It's in the SV now and I'm going to grill it on Friday night.

We could do a slow cook then sear with a savory half and a sweet half after marinating Friday night
    * with yours, that is
    @Eggcelsior that sounds fantastic!  Consider another pork belly available to do that. It has been wet aging for 2 months in the fridge, so this will be a good use for it! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I can bring a pop up canopy and an extra chair or two as well if needed. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I can bring a pop up canopy and an extra chair or two as well if needed. 
    Both would be welcome.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Done.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Ok our plan is coming together, Friday night BBQ bacon shrimp. Saturday AM going to bake a breakfast casserole, breakfast sausage on Kings Hawaiian buns, Gator bites with Jalamango Lime sauce for dipping and some killer gator sausage. At some time in the afternoon KayNOcook will serve the apple cake she bakes in the small Friday.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Ok our plan is coming together, Friday night BBQ bacon shrimp. Saturday AM going to bake a breakfast casserole, breakfast sausage on Kings Hawaiian buns, Gator bites with Jalamango Lime sauce for dipping and some killer gator sausage. At some time in the afternoon KayNOcook will serve the apple cake she bakes in the small Friday.
    That all sounds absolutely terrible Jim!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm planning on the SV chicken tender satays with a Jalamango lime baste for Saturday.  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'll be ordering Dominos.  Just checked and they deliver! 

I plan to take  pictures with high saturation of red of the pizza to disguise that it came from Dominos. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

I plan to take  pictures with high saturation of red of the pizza to disguise that it came from Dominos. 

You're always faking your pictures.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Kinda like you faking your cooks?
    You guys need to duke it out once and for all. I'll bring boxing gloves. ;)
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    bgebrent said:

You guys need to duke it out once and for all. I'll bring boxing gloves. ;)
    I'd wear that punk out Craig like the Heels spanked the Kitty Cats. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    That all sounds absolutely terrible Jim!
    Kay and I are so happy that you will be disappointed! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm planning on the SV chicken tender satays with a Jalamango lime baste for Saturday.  

Oh great wreck my Gator Bites with your Chick-Fil-A catering!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    bgebrent said:

OUCH!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:

OUCH!
    It was good while I was getting away with it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Oh great wreck my Gator Bites with your Chick-Fil-A catering!!!!

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:

OUCH!
    He doe's good as long as he follows Nichole's directions and I think ya need to quit picking on him........................... 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:

OUCH!
    He doe's good as long as he follows Nichole's directions and I think ya need to quit picking on him........................... 
    Thank you Jim!  Those that live in your dust always tend to stir it up.  Original quote!  Looking forward to seeing you and Kay my friend.  Your request seems somewhat insincere.... =)