Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Method to Cook Corn on the Cobb?

Options
reload
reload Posts: 267
I'm getting ready to cook several pork chops this afternoon.  I typically boil the corn because it's easy.  What's the best way to grill corn on the Egg?  

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Some folks silk it and then cook in the husk. I shuck, silk, and wash it then wrap loosely in foil with salt, pepper, and butter and grill until tender

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I just shuck it and throw it on--no foil. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    I just let the wife bring it to me and cook it. 
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • reload
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I covered it with melted butter, salt and cheese. 
  • reload
    Options
    Update, forgot something.....
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    I  shuck and remove the silk and then soak them in water for 15-20 minutes and then brush some butter on and throw me on the egg. For about 10-15 minutes turning them a couple of times. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    Options
    i have just left mine in the husk and cook about 20-30 mins (rotating often)  Always comes out good but will try some of the other ways.  Always looking for better.
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • reload
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone!   Egger's are the best!!!
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I leave the husk on, run under water for a minute, then wrap in foil.  The wet husk then steams the corn.  When done, the silk comes off easily.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    take it out of the bag, grill, shuck, eat. for me the less i put into the better it is, stays hotter longer if you just cook it intact as well, we eat 8 to 10 each for dinner, never knew it was a side dish til i was in my 20's =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I go at it one of two ways.   1st is the same as @shtgunal3 noted above (except I use olive oil instead of butter).  

Second is to shuck it, lightly spray it with canola oil, and put it on at 350-400*.   Every 5 minutes or so I will turn it, baste it with melted butter, and repeat until it's softened and has a light char (or heavy if you prefer).   Remove, slather it with mixture of lime juice mayo (3 TBS mayo, 3-4 tsp Lime).   Season it with a corn rub, then sprinkle shredded cheese.  Gold.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I go at it one of two ways.   1st is the same as @shtgunal3 noted above (except I use olive oil instead of butter).  

Second is to shuck it, lightly spray it with canola oil, and put it on at 350-400*.   Every 5 minutes or so I will turn it, baste it with melted butter, and repeat until it's softened and has a light char (or heavy if you prefer).   Remove, slather it with mixture of lime juice mayo (3 TBS mayo, 3-4 tsp Lime).   Season it with a corn rub, then sprinkle shredded cheese.  Gold.
    What is corn rub?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Soak corn in water thirty minutes with husk on. Put on grill and turn 1/4 turn every 6 minutes for a total of 24 minutes. Remove and cut of 1/2 inch of cf corn at bottom and squeezeeze corn out from the top. Comes out clean as a whistle. I'm doing as we speak.

I have to try this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    No. S&P with a little butter or oil and husk first. Simple only 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    NonaScott said:
    Soak corn in water thirty minutes with husk on. Put on grill and turn 1/4 turn every 6 minutes for a total of 24 minutes. Remove and cut of 1/2 inch of cf corn at bottom and squeezeeze corn out from the top. Comes out clean as a whistle. I'm doing as we speak.

I have to try this.
    I saw it on FB and figured it was bs but it really works. Depending on how thick the husk is you might want to go a little longer. The ones I did last night could have used about 10 more minutes I think. Also you have to squeeze the top pretty hard to get it started but it will squeeze out with not one single silk attached to the corn
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My family's absolute favorite sweet corn. http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2011/06/02/1st-sweet-corn/ 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I prefer to cook the meat on the BGE, and use my steamer for steaming my corn on the cob.  I like to use my preferred tool for the preferred job and don't try to use my BGE to cook everything in the cookbook or on the menu.

But that's just how I like to do it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It depends on what how I am eating as to how I cook corn on the cob.  If making salsa, I shuck them, put a little EVOO on them and roast them till they have a good chat on them.  If eating corn on the cob, I soak in water for 20 to 30 minutes in them grill at about 400 direct for 10 minutes or so. Turning a few times.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I prefer to cook the meat on the BGE, and use my steamer for steaming my corn on the cob.  I like to use my preferred tool for the preferred job and don't try to use my BGE to cook everything in the cookbook or on the menu.

But that's just how I like to do it.
    I hear ya. Corn boils and hog roasts were a family staple growing up.  Dad's best buddy raised hogs.

If you are lucky to posess good sweet corn genetics.....plump, juicy, flavorful kernels, trump shriveled, dried, and carmelized.  Butter, salt, and white pepper are nice additions, not necessary.  Good Midwest sweet corn will easily stand on its own.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I love summer corn....
    I use scissors to cut the silk off, then lay it on the grill at 350º turning often until steam comes out the silk end.
    The stalk end is a handle, just peel the leaves down to the stalk, cut them off with the scissors but leave the stalk end alone.
    Place back on the grill when the meat is resting to give it a little char. and make sure it's hot when it hits the table.

In my house, they reach for the corn before they grab a fork. The poor butter looks like WW3.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp seasoned salt.   I make larger batches because we eat the hound dog out of grilled corn.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • kmyszka
    kmyszka Posts: 1
    Options
    do you cook corn on the cob with platesetter in or out?
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Follow as above, soak and grill on direct heat (no platesetter) with the leaves on.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Street corn for the win! But damn, I got to try some of these. Well done gents.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for all the different methods 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Wrap wet paper towel and microwave till it pops.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I think I got this from a Curtis Stone cookbook as a “try this and you will never go back to boiling.” Oven at 350 and roast them in their jacket for 35-40 minutes. Silk just comes right off..next to none on the cob. Easiest and most delicious way unless you are going Mexican or something. The only thing I do is trim any silk off the top and remove any loose leaves that may fall in the oven. Takes two seconds.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan