Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger

Options
mpearce
mpearce Posts: 11
Hi all,

My name is Michael. Just got started with a medium egg a week ago. I never heard of an Egg until about six months ago. I live in Japan and they don't have anything like this here. In fact what they do have in BBQs is so over priced it's insane. To give an example just a plain dome style Weber will cost around $300 if you can find one. The one upside to Japan for BBQing is they only use lump coal and that is pretty cheap, for Japan at least. Got a 10kg box for around $15.

So being they don't have them in Japan and even if they did it would probably cost near double what you pay in the US I was out of luck...until my friend was kind enough to get me one and send it over with his housing when he moved here. Been waiting over a month for it to get here by sea, and now I am off to the races. 

Already three cooks into it since I set it up. Did a great NY Strip and some chicken breasts so far. I was truly shocked at how much flavor there was from using the Egg. Never going back that I can tell you. After trying the steak the first night the wife is now asking when I am cooking again.

I have been reading the forum for several days absorbing all the information and looking forward to making some great food.

All the best,
MIchael

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the addiction. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Cool story.  Welcome to the forum

Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Howdy

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I got to admit. That's going to be an adventure. I have never been in Japan socI have no concept of how they cut steaks or if they sell pork butts etc. I am sure they do, but I Am sure you also have access to many things we don't. We'll have fun exploring with your new egg. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Welcome

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Just owning the green egg its pretty hard to screw anything up,but add the fact that people are so helpful on this forum and it is about impossible !!  Welcome
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nice story for a new chapter in your life.  You did good.  

In this ever-changing world, even the 3,000 year old kamado, that originated in the Orient and introduced to America after WWII by returning troops, is fast becoming one of the most popular cooking devices in the world.  All thanks to Big Green Egg and forums like this one with thousands of enthusiastic EGGheads to keep you EGGcited as you enjoy your new Egg.

We hope to hear more from you.

Spring "Learning The Egg Since 1999" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome.... Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome to the group. You must be in the Navy.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great story.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome, that's got to be such a treat.  I love Japanese food of all kinds, but couldn't survive without BBQ.  Bet your friend will be kicking himself for not bring one for himself.

Try and find a porkbutt for your first low and slow and a whole chicken to spatchcock.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Welcome.  Be sure to register your egg for warranty issues.  Enjoy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • mpearce
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I got to admit. That's going to be an adventure. I have never been in Japan socI have no concept of how they cut steaks or if they sell pork butts etc. I am sure they do, but I Am sure you also have access to many things we don't. We'll have fun exploring with your new egg. 
    I do look forward to trying some interesting things once I understand my egg better. Pork is pretty easy to get here thankfully. Beef is pretty expensive and usually thin sliced. 
  • mpearce
    Options
    six_egg said:
    Welcome to the group. You must be in the Navy.
    No i'm not in the military, I live and work in Tokyo. I just got lucky that my buddy is in the military and agreed to send my egg over with his stuff.
  • mpearce
    Options
    logchief said:
    Welcome, that's got to be such a treat.  I love Japanese food of all kinds, but couldn't survive without BBQ.  Bet your friend will be kicking himself for not bring one for himself.

Try and find a porkbutt for your first low and slow and a whole chicken to spatchcock.
    Yeah, he already is. I get to tease him now so extra bonus for me.

I will look around for porkbutt. Whole chicken is easier to get. I was thinking of doing a beer can chicken soon.
  • Renegaderam
    Renegaderam Posts: 90
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Confucius says - you will have a great journey with the Big Green Egg.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Be sure to thank your friend with many cooks. Welcome in and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky