Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Rib slab (and extras)

Options
Beautiful morning in Georgia to start smoking 10 lbs of short ribs and a couple of racks of spare ribs. The short ribs (3 bones) are trimmed with just olive oil, salt, black and red pepper.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,731
    Options
    My kind of day right there!!! YUM!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Way to start the day!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TheRainMan
    Options
    6 hours in... the short ribs are up to 185 degrees

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,800
    Options
    Looking good brother. Standing by for the finale. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,552
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great score.  A real banquet awaits. BTW- given you have a side-by-side going, at the close of the feast let us know your favorite meat rib contributor (edit: cow or pig).  No pressure :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheRainMan
    Options
    Well here's the verdict. The short ribs were as tender as butter - but a little to fatty for my preference. The spare ribs came out perfectly - 6 hrs at 240 degrees naked. Works every time for me. I'm dropping the short ribs experiment and going back to plate ribs - I enjoy those much more - and they're a lot less expensive.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Those look like Plate Ribs (3 bones) rather than Chuck Short Ribs (4 bones).  I have found that the Plate Ribs I get at Restaurant Depot cost twice as much as Chuck Short Ribs and are much fattier.  I prefer the Chuck Short Ribs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TheRainMan
    Options
    Bought these as "short ribs" - the butcher didn't saw the bones but left the intact. Its hard to get size perspective from the picture - this would normally be four racks of short ribs.