Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Death by blendtec

Comments

• Just wondering perhaps extreme temperature differential may have caused it? Did you store the jar in the freezer or was the frozen fruits left in the jar for an extended time, thereby chilling the jar thoroughly, and then the instant heat from the high speed blade, boom?  If there was also a hairline crack then the stars were perfectly aligned for disaster?

I recall @Little Steven had a CI pan that cracked/exploded on the induction cooktop  :s
    it was just frozen fruit and warm water. The jar was not cold and the fruit did not sit in there longer than a few seconds before adding the warm water. I've done it hundreds of times with no issues. The warm water softens the fruit just enough to blend smoothly and still be semi frozen in the end.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

• odie91 said:
    Davec433 said:
    It would be nice if they did since those mixers are 100-120.
    Blendtec?  No way.  Maybe a Ninja.

Blendtec and Vitamixes cost way more..... or maybe I got ripped off ;)

He may have been talking about the jar. They are $100-$129. The blender was like $400 new.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    this is why i dont eat salads or smoothies =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited January 2016
    Yeah in talking about the mixing jar. We have the same exact same blender. What almost turned me buying it was the r views on the seal within the jar as well as the gear. But you don't see vitamixs in restaurants for a reason!

http://www.blendtec.com/jars
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    FACT:  You get more vitamins from a Vitamix because our digestive systems don't dissolve the outside of food to get the vitamins inside...they only get the surface vitamins.

And if you don't believe that, just eat some corn.

(this is sarcasm)
    Hey, Cen-Tex, if this dude shows up at your house, he's cool:

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,315
    "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" - a classic of the so bad it's good genre!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    logchief said:
    Crap, did something break off the blade, I can't imagine that happening.  I'll have to be careful with our Blendtec.  Maybe you ought to go to bed and stay there for a while
    Nope. The fruit was semi-frozen but nothing I haven't done 100 times before. Must have had a hairline crack or something. Just blew it out.

I will say I've never been hurt eating a steak. All these fruits and veggies are going to be the death of me.

Nuff Said
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Davec433 said:
    Yeah in talking about the mixing jar. We have the same exact same blender. What almost turned me buying it was the r views on the seal within the jar as well as the gear. But you don't see vitamixs in restaurants for a reason!

I would have guessed there are more Vitamix in commercial service than blentec.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I happen to own a Vitamix, but I really think they are both in the same league.  I doubt you could go wrong either way - unless you have terrible luck like Cen-tex.

Phoenix 
  • blasting said:
    Davec433 said:

I would have guessed there are more Vitamix in commercial service than blentec.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I happen to own a Vitamix, but I really think they are both in the same league.  I doubt you could go wrong either way - unless you have terrible luck like Cen-tex.

I see a lot of both out there. not sure who has the edge. I think they are both around $1000 for the commercial unit
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,099
    I'm just surprised this wasn't titled 

"Why you should never make smoothies. Ever."

Missed opportunity there bro.
    Or "Making smoothies.... in the style of Texas"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Texas is like, 50% dixie.

Darkest red is like, 100% Dixie and stuff.
    This gal's a real pro, too:

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2016
    Just an FYI- they replaced it today no questions asked even though the jar is a year out of warranty. 

They did say something odd which causes me to believe there is something to issue with the seal where the blades are. This thread is the first place I had ever heard that. I've never had an issue with mine (4 years) but she said that I should get in the habit of spinning the blade by hand 1-2 times before each use. She said this will fully lubricate the ball bearings before immediate high speed use. Just throwin' it out there.

• Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19
    There is/was an issue with the seal around the blades going bad and leaking grease. I believe it was mainly caused by users storing the jar in the freezer (w/ frozen margaritas, etc) and then taking it out of the freezer and directly onto the blender, thereby, ruining the gasket which was frozen. Blendtec replaced the jars no matter where the fault lied.  Great blender...great company.
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2016
    Just an FYI- they replaced it today no questions asked even though the jar is a year out of warranty. 

They did say something odd which causes me to believe there is something to issue with the seal where the blades are. This thread is the first place I had ever heard that. I've never had an issue with mine (4 years) but she said that I should get in the habit of spinning the blade by hand 1-2 times before each use. She said this will fully lubricate the ball bearings before immediate high speed use. Just throwin' it out there.

your going to reach into the death machine and spin the blade by hand =) had a neighbor do that once with a lawnmower, just once =)
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,406

your going to reach into the death machine and spin the blade by hand =) had a neighbor do that once with a lawnmower, just once =)
    The blade is integral to the container.  You can spin it before setting it on the motor, then add your ingredients.  We have over 4200 "cycles" on ours and it is still going strong.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @fishlessman ... oh come now ... all the Blendtec folks know to grab the blade assembly from the outside-bottom of the jar, spin it with medium force, and hum like an electric motor.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishlessman
    @fishlessman ... oh come now ... all the Blendtec folks know to grab the blade assembly from the outside-bottom of the jar, spin it with medium force, and hum like an electric motor.
    ive seen some silly things done, like using a wooden spoon in a blender =) you should see how fast a wooden spoon can shoot out of a blender =) have two neighbors land trees on their heads, just like the cartoons =) thats just a silly thing for a company to say
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,315
    Naaah...we Blendtec owners growl like a muscle car when we manually spin the blade cuz that's how powerful these babies are.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Just an FYI- they replaced it today no questions asked even though the jar is a year out of warranty. 

Sorry- she said do that from the bottom! good call

• "you should see how fast a wooden spoon can shoot out of a blender"

or a frozen banana!

• Pignpoke
    Pignpoke Posts: 11
    edited January 2016
    HAHA laughing with you, not at you :o  I usually have it come out the top and hit the ceiling. That second photo cracks me up.
    Greenville, South Carolina - One LGE
    Warm Grill and Cold Beer
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Time to switch to a NINJA
    I was going to say "spend the extra $$$ and get a Vitamix".
    South SLO County
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    ...she said that I should get in the habit of spinning the blade by hand 1-2 times before each use. She said this will fully lubricate the ball bearings before immediate high speed use. Just throwin' it out there.

Good to know, glad they took good care of you.

My Vitamix has 2 'gears', low gear has variable speed control, high gear is constant speed 'turbo'.  They tell owners to start at low gear lowest speed, then dial it up to highest level, before finally flipping the switch to high gear. I guess that kind of accomplishes what the Blendtec lady told you.

canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    You always need to look at the bright side, you weren't making margaritas. You would have lost all that tequila.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • The veggie gods are not pleased with you.  Glad only the kitchen wall was "injured" and not you.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx