Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado in March? 2016

Options
i haven't seen anything official yet. Only that.....if tradition holds true it'll be mid March....

@springchicken whaddya know?
LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I think I might cook this year....
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2015
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Mickey is done.  Last year was his final as organizer
  • apinion
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    First Nola, now this!?!?!?!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    A sad day indeed. Mickey is one of the ones that I have always wanted to meet. Seems like a heck of a good man. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Angus1978 said:
    A sad day indeed. Mickey is one of the ones that I have always wanted to meet. Seems like a heck of a good man. 
    Of all of the eggfest hosts, brother Mickey is my very favorite. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Of all of the eggfest hosts, brother Mickey is my very favorite. 
    Even though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, he still makes my short list. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Oh he's definitely short. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• apinion
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Oh he's definitely short. 
    He may be short, but he's thick.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    The owner of the property that holds the fest died too.  Any word if the new owners would let it take place?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The owner of the property that holds the fest died too.  Any word if the new owners would let it take place?
    One of the two owners died. 

@Hotch talked to me earlier. He is looking into the fest details.  He called Ace and he's getting the situation clarified.
    Options
    Nola?
  • apinion
    Options
    Is this real life?  My night owl brother?

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I'm out of proverbial jail.
    Options
    For now....
  • apinion
    Options
    I thought there would be a larger celebration!?!?
  • SGH
    Options
    apinion said:
    I thought there would be a larger celebration!?!?
    We are trying to stay low key. No need to provoke or draw the Buffaloes attention. He has been running amuck as of late.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm a little burned out on the forum right now after all that.  They majority of people were beyond awesome in supporting me.  There were a few that smelled blood in the water and worked that.

All in all, I'm glad to be back but I plan on spending a lot less time here and more time cooking, fishing, motorcycling, building sh...stuff, and living.
    Options
    On behalf of the little guys out, welcome back.  Your a really nice contributor of info.  Myself and the lurkers appreciate that.

I was going to pop in and see you this weekend, but I was unable to make my old co-workers wedding in the crescent city.  Maybe next time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks for that, @apinion.  I'll actually be in your neck of the woods next week.  If you're in the SA area, give me a holler.
    Options
    What you coming in for?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My youngest brother is getting married.  We'll be in the riverwalk area for 5 days.
    Options
    If there is a Salado I'll be there. @nolaegghead glad to see yea back bro.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    texaswig said:
    If there is a Salado I'll be there. @nolaegghead glad to see yea back bro.
    Thanks brother.  It's good to be back.  Bittersweet, being on the BGE terrorist watchlist and all that.  I have to behave.  I will be on here less moving forward.
    Options

Just a little clarification,

The Salado Eggfest has been held at W.A. Page Memorial Park. It is across the river from The Inn on the River. Which is owned by Will and his partner. It was Will's partner that had past. Will and The Inn on the Creek has hosted most of the cooks and both the Pre-Party and the Post-Party. They have always done a great job.

Last month I did speak with Salado Ace Hardware about the Salado Eggfest. (The retailer of BGE) I was informed that yes they do plan on having the Eggfest this year. And that it would be around the same time as it has been.

My last conversation with @Mickey was he will be cooking and not the event organizer.

My guess is it will be a go. It may be different without Mickey at the Helm, but that is OK for me. Now maybe he will have fun with the rest of us, cook some of his amazing grub with us and party with us till the police show up. Instead of working @henapple into a drunken stupor which allows @caliking takes advantage of him and makes off with his prized PBR!

I hope to have more details in the next for days. And possibly @Mickey may chime in with any updates.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Will Lowery is the owner of Inn on the Creek (host hotel and where we had the pre and post party). Will's partner Chris passed away this past summer after last year's Fest. 
    Will is talking about not using the City park and moving to his property. 
    Will's is where we thought of moving the Fest to several years ago but the TLCB would have given us problems with adult beverages. Some change of laws and licensing has changed that. The area is truly outstanding that Will has. A big plus is you do not have to go before the City council and do the begging and scraping crap. 
    The property is not where we have the parties, it is a very cool place. 
    For those of you that want to stay in the Inn and properties I would contact Will asap to get one of the 14 (?) rooms (may be 19 rooms, I just don't remember now). 
    Lots in the works and I am so very far in the background. 
    Will's info.  (254) 291-9626   :  will@inncreek.com       

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey for the updated info.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Thanks all...I'm planning to attend...the wife's back is fixed, we're in a good place this year.  Now to see if she'll approve a Salado hotel..... :)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Hotch and @Mickey - I'm in for helping to organize if there's anything I can do from here. Do we have a date nailed down yet?

It would be nice to have the inn and the fest on the same side of the creek. However, the park worked great since it was a covered space and it was easy to roll the eggs around. If @Mickey 's knees can take it, the grovelling for alcohol permission is worth it. Does the inn have another spot besides the venue for the afterparty?

Let me know if I can help out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    Thanks all...I'm planning to attend...the wife's back is fixed, we're in a good place this year.  Now to see if she'll approve a Salado hotel..... :)

Inn on the Creek (Will's place) is and always has been host hotel. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.