Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUTTS - BRINE vs. Chris Lilly Injection method

Options
A couple weeks back I did a brine vs. no brine comparison, with all things being equal.  Both came out great, but the edge had to go to the brined butt, especially due to the juiciness factor.

A lot of folks have brought up injection, so today I've started another head to head with a simple brine vs. injection.

Total weight for both butts is 18lbs in the same package, courtesy of RD.  Each butt was treated to course grind dizzy dust.

Brined one butt for 12 hours following Alton Browns recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe.html

The other butt was injected following Chris Lilly's recipe / method.  http://www.bbqpits.com/recipes/Chris Lillys Pork Shoulder or Butt.htm

Initial thoughts:  The brined butt is very different in color as you see in the picture.  Injecting is kinda messy.  I was chuckling as I was doing it -  I would inject one site it would shoot out the other sites.  I possibly over injected, but it definitely has a lot of moisture in it.

Here are the raw cuts (injected on the left, brined on the right):

Original Thread brine vs. no brine
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187901/brine-vs-no-brine-butt-to-butt-taste-test#latest
Phoenix 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Looking good. Very curious on the results.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Can't wait for your outcome and pics. Thanks for doing this.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @blasting I did a beef broth injection to the brisket for the cook on Friday night. It was amazing. Like you, the injection was almost comical in the manner of how it would squirt out. I did it before placing on the egg, and then again after it hit 150F. The burnt ends from the point were absolutely world class. The flat was as juicy as any I have tried anywhere. MBW is hyper critical with Brisket, she said it was the best she ever had in her life.
    I thought I did everything wrong, but I must say, if I screw up like this again, I am good with it. The injection, for brisket, works.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent brother blasting!!  Standing by and still brining, for now...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options

waiting for the outcome as well, helping the work day go bye for sure!

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    if you try injecting again, try injecting the butt in the egg when it reaches 160 internal, the injection stays in and theres no mess ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I have heard if you wrap the meat in saran wrap first and then inject, it isn't quite as messy.  Obviously not recommended for middle of cook injecting...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Cruising along, IT of 168.  Lately I've been putting my cooks on before going to bed, as opposed to getting up early.  It's sure nice having the peace of mind that I'll be done on time for dinner.

YukonRon said:
    @blasting I did a beef broth injection to the brisket for the cook on Friday night. It was amazing. Like you, the injection was almost comical in the manner of how it would squirt out. I did it before placing on the egg, and then again after it hit 150F. The burnt ends from the point were absolutely world class. The flat was as juicy as any I have tried anywhere. MBW is hyper critical with Brisket, she said it was the best she ever had in her life.
    I thought I did everything wrong, but I must say, if I screw up like this again, I am good with it. The injection, for brisket, works.
    Thanks for the tip Ron.  Will definitely try injecting the brisket next week.  Did you add anything to the beef broth?

if you try injecting again, try injecting the butt in the egg when it reaches 160 internal, the injection stays in and theres no mess ;)
    Thanks for the tip @fishlessman

tgkleman said:
    I have heard if you wrap the meat in saran wrap first and then inject, it isn't quite as messy.  Obviously not recommended for middle of cook injecting...
    @tgkleman  Thanks, I'd heard that as well and will probably try that next time.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Good evening everybody.  The brined butt took an extra hour or so to complete, but they both turned out great.  As a matter of fact, this is a little anticlimactic.  The difference between the brined butt and the injection butt is non existent as far as we could tell.  Taste and moisture content was the same.  They both rank up there as two of the best butts that I've ever cooked.

Does anyone think there would be any point to brining and then injecting?  

I suppose this falls into the "don't overthink it" category.  Anyway, lots of food savered pork in the freezer.  My daughter made chocolate chip banana bread on the weber for desert.  

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great post brother and good objectivity with an n of 1.  I'll brine on and eat well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    if you want the flavor of the injection more pronounced do it at the 160 internal point, the flavor stands up better, thats how they do whole hog cooks, it doesnt mellow out as much.  and it takes more injection and no mess like i mentioned earlier. i use elder wards vinegar sauce for the injection
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it